Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:52 am
Posts: 21
223 in Rugby, I presume this is a priority area for LSS
any chance??
of course it is a boy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:47 am
Posts: 54
Why wouldn’t you have a chance? The AQS last year was 209. My boy scored 215 and I am expecting him to be offered a place. His teacher said to me in the seven years she’s been teaching, she has never known a child who scored over 210 in the priority area be refused.

So unless anything has dramatically changed I think our boys are in with a pretty good chance x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:52 am
Posts: 21
I hope so
just the high number of 11+ students this year compared to previous ones


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:18 am
Posts: 8
SalamS wrote:
I hope so
just the high number of 11+ students this year compared to previous ones

I checked with various parents if they ticked the results shared with Birmingham. And most who have scored over 220, said they have ticked both. So I have a feeling that rankings isnt truly reflecting the final application


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:47 am
Posts: 54
mishra wrote:
SalamS wrote:
I hope so
just the high number of 11+ students this year compared to previous ones

I checked with various parents if they ticked the results shared with Birmingham. And most who have scored over 220, said they have ticked both. So I have a feeling that rankings isnt truly reflecting the final application


Agreed. I know quite a few children in various rugby schools. I only know two children who have scored higher than my son. Obviously there ARE some that have scored higher, but not as many as to affect his place, hopefully!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:15 am
Posts: 30
SalamS wrote:
223 in Rugby, I presume this is a priority area for LSS
any chance??
of course it is a boy


Last year in Rugby, Ashlawn school had the highest AQS. This year, it seems the scores were comparatively higher due to the rise maximum achievable scores (as heard). This may have an effect on the qualifying score this year. But how much increase will? no one knows at this stage.
Looking at the trends of last year, Ashlawn AQS may shoot up this year and there may be a gradual increase in LSS. Also, Rugby Girls will have a much more increase in AQS than LSS (There was some issues that lowered the AQS for Rugby Girls last year). Anyone less than 210 will struggle for Rugby girls.

In your case, with a score of 223, you should be fine for LSS in not Ashlawn. So relax!

These are based on statistics from last year.. nothing official though!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:09 pm
Posts: 55
I'm really curious as to why Ashlawn has such a higher AQS than LSS - we've viewed both several times, and I can't get over the fact that Ashlawn seems to be a comprehensive with a couple of classes of selective entry, which is negated further down the line as they no longer treat them any differently after the first couple of years. LSS on the other hand is single sex, much more old school in its approach and less vocational. I'm curious as to the reasons why so many choose Ashlawn (largely because we're still deliberating! :) )


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:56 pm
Posts: 27
Vicksteroo wrote:
I'm really curious as to why Ashlawn has such a higher AQS than LSS - we've viewed both several times, and I can't get over the fact that Ashlawn seems to be a comprehensive with a couple of classes of selective entry, which is negated further down the line as they no longer treat them any differently after the first couple of years. LSS on the other hand is single sex, much more old school in its approach and less vocational. I'm curious as to the reasons why so many choose Ashlawn (largely because we're still deliberating! :) )


There could be many reasons. There could simply be fewer places available, its location in relation to applicants could be preferable or just the fact that "single sex, much more old school in its approach and less vocational" isn't necessarily (at all) a good thing. Horses for courses.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:15 am
Posts: 30
darkmuseuk wrote:
Vicksteroo wrote:
I'm really curious as to why Ashlawn has such a higher AQS than LSS - we've viewed both several times, and I can't get over the fact that Ashlawn seems to be a comprehensive with a couple of classes of selective entry, which is negated further down the line as they no longer treat them any differently after the first couple of years. LSS on the other hand is single sex, much more old school in its approach and less vocational. I'm curious as to the reasons why so many choose Ashlawn (largely because we're still deliberating! :) )


There could be many reasons. There could simply be fewer places available, its location in relation to applicants could be preferable or just the fact that "single sex, much more old school in its approach and less vocational" isn't necessarily (at all) a good thing. Horses for courses.


Location won't be a factor at all... as parents will die for a grammar place and you won't be surprised many parents will ask here how to get into 'X' school and travel time.

Less number of seats is also not conclusive, as if this was the case, these students must have tried LSS and then a lower AQS below the AQS of LSS. Or in another words, these students must have definetely got into LSS if they wish to do so.

I reason would be Ashlawn Grammar was not known to many parents in earlier years. Hence there were students who couldn't get into LSS but got into Ashlawn. Their siblings were studying in LSS. They got a chance to compare both schools honestly and some of them (not all) lean towards Ashlawn. Obviously they are the only people who can make a statement of comparison about these schools.

Needless to say, when you get a unbiased opinion, you tends to follow it.

I believe, next 3-4 years, Ashlawn will be have a jump in AQS ( with the limited no of seats available) and will stabilise.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:18 am
Posts: 8
220 in Coventry, Outside priority circle of RHS/LSS?
What is expectation.
Can anyone shed light on what was last year score/ranking for RHS outside prority circle.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2021