223 in Rugby, any chance for LSS

Post by SalamS »

223 in Rugby, I presume this is a priority area for LSS
any chance??
of course it is a boy
Centralperk

Re: 223 in Rugby, any chance for LSS

Post by Centralperk »

Why wouldn’t you have a chance? The AQS last year was 209. My boy scored 215 and I am expecting him to be offered a place. His teacher said to me in the seven years she’s been teaching, she has never known a child who scored over 210 in the priority area be refused.

So unless anything has dramatically changed I think our boys are in with a pretty good chance x
SalamS

Post by SalamS »

I hope so
just the high number of 11+ students this year compared to previous ones
mishra

Post by mishra »

SalamS wrote:I hope so
I checked with various parents if they ticked the results shared with Birmingham. And most who have scored over 220, said they have ticked both. So I have a feeling that rankings isnt truly reflecting the final application
Centralperk

Post by Centralperk »

mishra wrote:
SalamS wrote:I hope so
I checked with various parents if they ticked the results shared with Birmingham. And most who have scored over 220, said they have ticked both. So I have a feeling that rankings isnt truly reflecting the final application
Agreed. I know quite a few children in various rugby schools. I only know two children who have scored higher than my son. Obviously there ARE some that have scored higher, but not as many as to affect his place, hopefully!
gemgem

Post by gemgem »

SalamS wrote:223 in Rugby, I presume this is a priority area for LSS
any chance??
of course it is a boy
Last year in Rugby, Ashlawn school had the highest AQS. This year, it seems the scores were comparatively higher due to the rise maximum achievable scores (as heard). This may have an effect on the qualifying score this year. But how much increase will? no one knows at this stage.
Looking at the trends of last year, Ashlawn AQS may shoot up this year and there may be a gradual increase in LSS. Also, Rugby Girls will have a much more increase in AQS than LSS (There was some issues that lowered the AQS for Rugby Girls last year). Anyone less than 210 will struggle for Rugby girls.

In your case, with a score of 223, you should be fine for LSS in not Ashlawn. So relax!

These are based on statistics from last year.. nothing official though!
Vicksteroo

Post by Vicksteroo »

I'm really curious as to why Ashlawn has such a higher AQS than LSS - we've viewed both several times, and I can't get over the fact that Ashlawn seems to be a comprehensive with a couple of classes of selective entry, which is negated further down the line as they no longer treat them any differently after the first couple of years. LSS on the other hand is single sex, much more old school in its approach and less vocational. I'm curious as to the reasons why so many choose Ashlawn (largely because we're still deliberating! :) )
darkmuseuk

Post by darkmuseuk »

Vicksteroo wrote:I'm really curious as to why Ashlawn has such a higher AQS than LSS - we've viewed both several times, and I can't get over the fact that Ashlawn seems to be a comprehensive with a couple of classes of selective entry, which is negated further down the line as they no longer treat them any differently after the first couple of years. LSS on the other hand is single sex, much more old school in its approach and less vocational. I'm curious as to the reasons why so many choose Ashlawn (largely because we're still deliberating! :) )
There could be many reasons. There could simply be fewer places available, its location in relation to applicants could be preferable or just the fact that "single sex, much more old school in its approach and less vocational" isn't necessarily (at all) a good thing. Horses for courses.
gemgem

Post by gemgem »

darkmuseuk wrote:
Vicksteroo wrote:I'm really curious as to why Ashlawn has such a higher AQS than LSS - we've viewed both several times, and I can't get over the fact that Ashlawn seems to be a comprehensive with a couple of classes of selective entry, which is negated further down the line as they no longer treat them any differently after the first couple of years. LSS on the other hand is single sex, much more old school in its approach and less vocational. I'm curious as to the reasons why so many choose Ashlawn (largely because we're still deliberating! :) )
There could be many reasons. There could simply be fewer places available, its location in relation to applicants could be preferable or just the fact that "single sex, much more old school in its approach and less vocational" isn't necessarily (at all) a good thing. Horses for courses.
Location won't be a factor at all... as parents will die for a grammar place and you won't be surprised many parents will ask here how to get into 'X' school and travel time.

Less number of seats is also not conclusive, as if this was the case, these students must have tried LSS and then a lower AQS below the AQS of LSS. Or in another words, these students must have definetely got into LSS if they wish to do so.

I reason would be Ashlawn Grammar was not known to many parents in earlier years. Hence there were students who couldn't get into LSS but got into Ashlawn. Their siblings were studying in LSS. They got a chance to compare both schools honestly and some of them (not all) lean towards Ashlawn. Obviously they are the only people who can make a statement of comparison about these schools.

Needless to say, when you get a unbiased opinion, you tends to follow it.

I believe, next 3-4 years, Ashlawn will be have a jump in AQS ( with the limited no of seats available) and will stabilise.
mishra

Post by mishra »

220 in Coventry, Outside priority circle of RHS/LSS?
What is expectation.
Can anyone shed light on what was last year score/ranking for RHS outside prority circle.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now