Allocation day 2019 discussion board

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Chantry_001

Re: Allocation day 2019 discussion board

Post by Chantry_001 »

AndyV wrote:Worcestershire (Within priority circle) emailed at 1.03 last night, place offered & accepted at KES on 252.

SGGS AQS sounds like a typo, looks like they may have copied AGS into the SGGS box? I can't see why it would have gone down.

Congratulations to your son, Andy. We have just heard and our son has KES also with 254 (we are in Warwick). It is good to finally hear for certain! Wish Warwickshire was a bit more efficient as your LA seems to be.
Last edited by Chantry_001 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mumofgirls

Post by Mumofgirls »

AndyV wrote:Worcestershire (Within priority circle) emailed at 1.03 last night, place offered & accepted at KES on 252.

SGGS AQS sounds like a typo, looks like they may have copied AGS into the SGGS box? I can't see why it would have gone down.
Yes it does seem odd it’s so much lower than previous years.
AndyV

Post by AndyV »

The SGGS waiting list score is different to the AGS one so that makes it look less like a mistake.

Does this mean that as a cohort, the girls 11+ results were lower this year? I thought there were more children sitting the 11+, presumably split with a "normal" boy/girl ratio, so I'm struggling to see any other reason for the drop.
(I'm not aware of any reason for people to not put SGGS down if they thought they could get in, its an excellent school.)
Mumofgirls

Post by Mumofgirls »

AndyV wrote:The SGGS waiting list score is different to the AGS one so that makes it look less like a mistake.

Does this mean that as a cohort, the girls 11+ results were lower this year? I thought there were more children sitting the 11+, presumably split with a "normal" boy/girl ratio, so I'm struggling to see any other reason for the drop.
(I'm not aware of any reason for people to not put SGGS down if they thought they could get in, its an excellent school.)
We didn’t put it as didn’t think our daughter would have a chance based on historical data. Kicking myself now.
darkmuseuk

Post by darkmuseuk »

AndyV wrote:(I'm not aware of any reason for people to not put SGGS down if they thought they could get in, its an excellent school.)
Failures to provide evidence on time?
FriedEggs

Post by FriedEggs »

Mumofgirls wrote:
AndyV wrote:The SGGS waiting list score is different to the AGS one so that makes it look less like a mistake.

We didn’t put it as didn’t think our daughter would have a chance based on historical data. Kicking myself now.
I think this it. Everyone I know who got under 220 applied to Alcester instead of SGGS, thus pushing their score up slightly, and pushing down the SGGS score. This is the irony of the system, it works purely on supply and demand, and 'prices' the schools accordingly!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It has happened in the past with AGS a few years ago when suddenly co-ed became the favoured option and they shot up unexpectedly one year.

215 does seem low for SGGS though - huge difference to KES (which hasn't gone up as badly as I expected!)
Mumofgirls

Post by Mumofgirls »

FriedEggs wrote:
Mumofgirls wrote:

I think this it. Everyone I know who got under 220 applied to Alcester instead of SGGS, thus pushing their score up slightly, and pushing down the SGGS score. This is the irony of the system, it works purely on supply and demand, and 'prices' the schools accordingly!
This is our first child going through this and I find the whole system so confusing! Hopefully I can get her on both waiting lists to give her a better chance.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Someone has said they are 216 pp and got refused for SGGS so I am not convinced....
FriedEggs

Post by FriedEggs »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Someone has said they are 216 pp and got refused for SGGS so I am not convinced....
The back of the letter adds more detail for SGGS:
Category 3
Children in the priority area who achieve the Automatic Qualifying Score or above 108 offers 215 min score
Category 4
Children living outside of the priority area who achieve the Automatic Qualifying Score or above 7 offers 216 min score
Category 5
Children who score below Automatic Qualifying Score but above minimum waiting list score
1 offer 214 min score
So the lowest score offered was 214 (on distance?). Was your friend outside the priority area?