RHS - class of 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rugbymumto2

Re: RHS - class of 2019

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

You could buy or lease laptops, they explained it all at the meeting for parents at the end of the school induction day. I would check then in case things have changed for this year.
QHoneyBee

Post by QHoneyBee »

Rugbymumto2 wrote:You could buy or lease laptops, they explained it all at the meeting for parents at the end of the school induction day. I would check then in case things have changed for this year.
Thank you.
I will wait for the school induction day for further information.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

We bought laptops for my DDs at RHS - so far they have hardly used them. Very frustrating!

No trolley bags. Uniform quite strict although my DD does wear 'trainer-style' socks with her loafers.

Loads of information at the parents induction meeting. Most important thing is probably a bus place.

Doesn't have to be round studs on football boots - both of my girls wear blades and I think the dance pumps were worn twice. Skort, top and hoodie only branded items. Leggings / socks can be without logo. Don't buy the joggers. Short sleeve blouses are frowned on by my girls and their friends, they are from the 3/4 sleeve camp although I suspect that is a friendship group thing.

We got combination padlocks for the lockers so they didn't lose the key.

One last thing ... buy a decent size, plastic box with a lid where they can put all of their books (there are a lot of them) and some plastic wallets & exercise book covers they will use those a lot.
QHoneyBee

Post by QHoneyBee »

sportsforall wrote:We bought laptops for my DDs at RHS - so far they have hardly used them. Very frustrating!

No trolley bags. Uniform quite strict although my DD does wear 'trainer-style' socks with her loafers.

Loads of information at the parents induction meeting. Most important thing is probably a bus place.

Doesn't have to be round studs on football boots - both of my girls wear blades and I think the dance pumps were worn twice. Skort, top and hoodie only branded items. Leggings / socks can be without logo. Don't buy the joggers. Short sleeve blouses are frowned on by my girls and their friends, they are from the 3/4 sleeve camp although I suspect that is a friendship group thing.

We got combination padlocks for the lockers so they didn't lose the key.

One last thing ... buy a decent size, plastic box with a lid where they can put all of their books (there are a lot of them) and some plastic wallets & exercise book covers they will use those a lot.
Thank you for the information. The uniform list sent by RHS states football shoes with round studs but happy to hear that girls are wearing other types with no problems.

Combination lock and plastic box/wallets/exercise book covers are great ideas- thanks again. I will add them into the list.

Regarding skirt do you know if they allow pleated skirts with wide panel on top? To be clearer, these are the skirts I am talking about:

https://www.next.co.uk/g72350s26#741941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OR
https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/N ... 38259-Navy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The sample skirt from Webb Ellis is stitch down skirt with pleats starting right from the waist. They are costly and I am unable to find alternatives.
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

No - the skirt is trutex or banner, they are the same as the ones Lutterworth college wear, that is the cheapest place I found so far to order from. However they last unless they grow outwards too much (my friend's DD wore the same 2 skirts all the way from year 7 to year 11).
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

Rugbymumto2 wrote:No - the skirt is trutex or banner, they are the same as the ones Lutterworth college wear, that is the cheapest place I found so far to order from. However they last unless they grow outwards too much (my friend's DD wore the same 2 skirts all the way from year 7 to year 11).
They are not the same skirts you have posted in the links. My DD Y8 is still wearing the same skirt from Y7 and it will last until the end of the year. DD Y7 is growing a bit faster. Mine wear the same skirt all week, so at a push you might only need to to buy one.

This may be the same at every school, but if you are looking at total budget then brace yourself because I added up how much I had put through ParentPay (the app you get that helps you manage communications with the school, pay dinner money and all trips) and it was significant. There are a lot of trips, suggested donations to school and dinner money (if you choose that option). I suspect I might get blasted for that but Y7:
Panto before Xmas - £15
End of Y7 trip - £244
Science lecture - £2.50
Blenheim Palace Visit - £19.50
Donation to school - £90
Spanish Workshop - £3.50

There is also an optional Ski trip in Y8 which you commit to and start paying in Y7 which is around £900.

Y8 so far is at £280

Also factor in the bus ...
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Different school but I was going to add that my dd (now year 11) has worn the same skirt since the start of year 7 (we did buy two but could probably have got away with one). Skirts are much better than trousers from that point of view.
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

To clarify my previous post, the skirts worn at RHS are the same as at Lutterworth College (not sainsburys). An alternative would definitely not be accepted in my DD form, she did say that other form tutors may not be as strict but until you start you won't know. Nobody she knows wears anything other than the correct one.

This is the correct one
https://www.just-schoolwear.co.uk/shop/ ... ml#SID=133

Not sure what the delivery costs are but they are significantly cheaper than Webb Ellis
QHoneyBee

Post by QHoneyBee »

Thank you all.
I will buy a maximum of two skirts and see how it goes.
Thanks for suggesting alternatives trutex/banner etc.
They come with varied waist and lengths, so will suit my DD.
QHoneyBee

Post by QHoneyBee »

I am unable to edit the first post containing list of things to do ahead of September.

So continuing the list here -

1. Apply for bus transport (online form in "how to apply" section at https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/vacantseatscheme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), need a passport photo of your child and bank details to set up the payment.

2. Book music lessons with Warwickshire Music Centre. This was to be applied online and the end date was 31st May. The allocation of places is first come first serve. You can still enroll but late entries do not guarantee places available in the next term.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now