RHS - class of 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
QHoneyBee

Re: RHS - class of 2019

Post by QHoneyBee »

Another set of to dos -

the forms that need to be sent over to RHS: (the forms have different due dates, in June, so safe to send them straight away in the first week to avoid any delays).

1. Permission Response
2. Data collection
3. Language preference (Latin compulsory and French/Spanish one at a time, Girls will learn both languages one after the other anyway before GCSE. Preference is only for which one you want to learn first, but subject to arrangements in the school.)
4. Home school agreement (daughter was too excited to sign the form along with Mommy!)
Last edited by QHoneyBee on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

QHoneyBee wrote:Another set of to dos -

3. Language preference (Latin compulsory and French/German one at a time, Girls will learn both languages one after the other anyway before GCSE. Preference is only for which one you want to learn first, but subject to arrangements in the school.)
Has this changed? For previous years the choice was French or Spanish.
QHoneyBee

Post by QHoneyBee »

sportsforall wrote:

3. Language preference (Latin compulsory and French/German one at a time, Girls will learn both languages one after the other anyway before GCSE. Preference is only for which one you want to learn first, but subject to arrangements in the school.)
My mistake sorry. Edited the original post now. The choices are still French or Spanish.
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

sportsforall wrote:

Current year 7 and 8 are the only years where the girls had to make a choice, previous years were taught all 3 languages. Y8 DD had to choose whether to continue with her current 2 choices or to drop 1 and learn the 3rd in year 9, I guess they are trying to give the girls the option to still cover all 3 languages.
QHoneyBee

Post by QHoneyBee »

Rugbymumto2 wrote:
sportsforall wrote:

Current year 7 and 8 are the only years where the girls had to make a choice, previous years were taught all 3 languages. Y8 DD had to choose whether to continue with her current 2 choices or to drop 1 and learn the 3rd in year 9, I guess they are trying to give the girls the option to still cover all 3 languages.
Thank you Rugbymumto2 and sportsforall. Your responses are really helpful.
To be frank, my DD isn't a language person. She is terrified that she now needs to learn three languages sooner or later. Is there anything specific you suggest for doing extra practice for these languages at home? My DD will certainly require some help.
Thank you.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

She won't have to learn three languages, unless she choses to. In Y7 they chose either French OR Spanish and then they also do Latin (so two languages), they continue those same two languages in Y8.

In Y8 they decide if they would like to drop Latin and pick up the other modern language, if they wanted to do both to GCSE level.

For example, you chose Latin and Spanish initially but then decide you do want to do French then you would drop Latin at the end of Y8 and pick up French in Y9.

RHS don't chose their GCSEs until Y9 unlike some schools that chose them in Y8. Thank goodness in our case since DD has no idea what she wants to study.
QHoneyBee

Post by QHoneyBee »

sportsforall wrote:She won't have to learn three languages, unless she choses to. In Y7 they chose either French OR Spanish and then they also do Latin (so two languages), they continue those same two languages in Y8.

In Y8 they decide if they would like to drop Latin and pick up the other modern language, if they wanted to do both to GCSE level.

For example, you chose Latin and Spanish initially but then decide you do want to do French then you would drop Latin at the end of Y8 and pick up French in Y9.

RHS don't chose their GCSEs until Y9 unlike some schools that chose them in Y8. Thank goodness in our case since DD has no idea what she wants to study.
Thank you for the clarity regarding languages.
Is there anything you recommend for practising foreign language from your experience with your DD?

I know its too early to ask my DD for what interests her but I am dreading the fact that year 9 is still too early. Every child is different and in some cases keeping the options open till late will certainly help. But I am not going to worry too much about it as of now.

Eagerly waiting for induction day now!
QHoneyBee

Post by QHoneyBee »

Update - One of the RHS teachers visited my DD's school and had a conversation with my DD. Such a lovely personal touch! (I know almost all secondary schools do this but my DD is now even more excited for September start and I can't be happier :-) )
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Re choosing GCSE options (in any school, most of what they will be doing at GCSE will be core subjects anyway), your DD probably will have an idea of what she does want to continue with by the time she gets to the end of year 8. Aside from obvious things like, if she thinks she wants to be a History teacher, History GCSE and A level would be sensible , there are few GCSE choices available which actually completely rule out entire careers.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
listophe

Post by listophe »

Regarding the uniform list, will they use football boots and ballet shoes often? Are shin pads and gum shield compulsory? Well, it says compulsory on the list, but I heard from some current school mum that they are not. Any suggestions please?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now