LSS - new starters Sept 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
guest201

Re: LSS - new starters Sept 2019

Post by guest201 »

They get a photo card to use to pay for lunches, or they buy something in Sainsburys before school. My son is in year 9 and has never had Rugby boots, he has always played in his football boots. They have two PE kits, one is for games/outdoor PE and the other is for indoor PE, both kits will be used all year round. You don't need to buy LSS shorts or socks I have always got cheap ones from Sports Direct. You don't need astro boots unless your son plays hockey in which case he will probably have hockey boots anyway. I bought my son the LSS branded hoodie which he has worn to death, it was expensive but worth it I bought one that was a bit big for him in year 7 and he still wears it now. Don't buy tracksuit trousers as none of the boys wear them.
Centralperk

Post by Centralperk »

Another confused parent to a newbie here!

On the Web Ellis leaflet given at the parents evening it lists two headguards. A Canterbury one and a Gilbert one, are these necessary? Do we need to get both?

I wish they would just sent an itemised list of everything that is needed.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I would assume this is just to show you different styles/fits - as they do fit differently. There are differing opnions on head guards - the RFU feels they are useful but the World Rugby Union feels they give a false sense of security with regards to concussion and therefore can be more dangerous. And by "feel" I mean have copious research supporting their viewpoints - so it comes down to you, usually. They do block hearing a bit and both my sons have opted not to play with them as they overheat with them on. It does also depend where your son plays - moreoften than not the front row/scrum will have them to help prevent cauliflower ears, whreas backs are less likely to wear them.
Vicksteroo

Post by Vicksteroo »

Thanks for all the info guys! This is really helpful - so helpful in fact, that I did a bit of a search to try and find a parents' facebook group (for asking just these sorts of questions once they've started), and can't find anything at all. Does anyone know if there are any social media groups for parents of boys at LSS? I rely so much on our current one, as do many others!

I hadn't considered the hoodie, thank you :)
guest201

Post by guest201 »

I bought a headguard for rugby and my son has never worn it
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I believe from some medical groups I'm on where some of them play a lot of rugby, there's very little evidence of the head guards protecting against serious head injury. But they're good for cauliflower ears and minor head injuries (bruises and cuts etc).
My son plays on the team but doesn't have a fixed position. He wears his head guard if he's in the front row of the scrum (he has quite protruding ears) but not otherwise, unless it's absolutely freezing and he wants another item of clothing on!
Centralperk

Post by Centralperk »

Hi all, getting close to start day now! I was wondering just before I start labelling everything, does anyone have any advice where to put the label on the reversible rugby top. Seeing as it’s the most costly item and my son has a lovely habit of losing things!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Centralperk wrote:Hi all, getting close to start day now! I was wondering just before I start labelling everything, does anyone have any advice where to put the label on the reversible rugby top. Seeing as it’s the most costly item and my son has a lovely habit of losing things!

DS2's school rugby shirts - for him, now, thankfully a thing of the past as he is going into yearv12 - are just 'one way' affairs, so I've never had that problem, personally, but if it's a rugby shirt with a collar (are they all, anyway?) and just a normal name tape, if you put it (or they - one each side) inside back neck, it will be either in the 'normal' label position or covered by the collar, whichever way out it is. I think... :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Handy tip - as well as putting a sew in or iron on name label - write the name somewhere on another label (like the wash care one) - name labels have a tendency to come off in the wash or a tackle so for any high ticket items I always double name them!
Optimistic mum

Post by Optimistic mum »

Has anyone had any more correspondence from LLS over the summer? I just wondered whether anyone was given more info on their bi-weekly schedule etc. Or will they receive all of that today? And does anyone remember if it's pictures tomorrow?

Thanks,
Optimistic Mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now