2019 exam, VR, NVR, Numeracy split

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pegtastic

2019 exam, VR, NVR, Numeracy split

Post by pegtastic »

Hi there,

I've not been here for a while, and I wondered if anyone knows how the scoring will be split on the exam this year?

I ask because I was led to believe that where previously it was an even split between NVR, Literacy and numeracy, this year it will be 50% literacy, and 25% each for NVR and Numeracy. I just wondered if this was true or not or just someone speculating?
scary mum

Re: 2019 exam, VR, NVR, Numeracy split

Post by scary mum »

There is some information on this page. It has 2019 dates , so I presume it is up to date, but maybe someone local can confirm?

I looked at the admission criteria for one of the schools which stated
Data from all students sitting the test will be used to produce standardised scores.
Weightings will be applied to the scores achieved in Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal
Reasoning and Numeracy.
scary mum
Vicksteroo

Post by Vicksteroo »

Last year that was the split - verbal was 50%, the other two 25% each.
pegtastic

Post by pegtastic »

Thank you xx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

That has been the split for the last 7 years, I am pretty sure....the year DS1 took it (and he has just finished Y13) it changed without warning to 50:25:25 as there is a correlation between Numeracy and NVR meaning with the 33.3:33.3:33.3 split, it was favouring mathematicians previuosly.

A caveat though: CEM can change how they score it without notification - they did exactly that 7 years ago and could do it again, if the Grammar Schools wish to change the balance back!
KenR

Post by KenR »

kenyancowgirl wrote:That has been the split for the last 7 years, I am pretty sure....the year DS1 took it (and he has just finished Y13) it changed without warning to 50:25:25 as there is a correlation between Numeracy and NVR meaning with the 33.3:33.3:33.3 split, it was favouring mathematicians previuosly.

A caveat though: CEM can change how they score it without notification - they did exactly that 7 years ago and could do it again, if the Grammar Schools wish to change the balance back!
Some Birmingham parents were unhappy last year because the B/Ham consortium changed the exam split to align with Warks - previously the B/Ham split was on each paper 50/50.
pegtastic

Post by pegtastic »

Thank you.

I'll be keeping fingers crossed that it will stay the same.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now