Warwickshire 11+ Results 2020 Entry: Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rugbymumto2

Re: Warwickshire 11+ Results 2020 Entry: Scores

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

DS got 200 so we know he won’t be going to Lawrence Sheriff with that. He was initially distraught but has already bounced back and excited about the comp where he has a guaranteed place from a music audition. It is going to be a tough day at school tomorrow for him as 5 classmates got over 220 another 212 and he hasn’t heard from the other class yet. Bumper year for his school going on to grammar. Well done to all the children who tried their hardest, whatever the outcome.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Never say never with LSS....if it is your absolute preference (and as you have a guaranteed second choice comp) then list it first and the comp second on your CAF. You lose nothing and may get an offer even if it is after the national allocation day.
bonvivz

Post by bonvivz »

Klou wrote:
mumof_2 wrote:A vast number of Worcestershire and Solihull children are likely to be applying to Warwickshire schools for September 2020. Previously they would have gone to Birmingham’s King Edward schools, but due to the foundation changing the admissions policy, this year is an unknown. Many of these areas are inside the Catchment circle/s for Warwickshire, hence they will apply to the grammars here instead.

It will be interesting to see the increase in numbers when the rankings come out. Will no doubt be more than the 3369 last year. Unfortunately you therefore can’t use last years results as a great guide, given the likely increase in candidates, the AQS are likely to be higher this year.
I’m not understanding quite how the rankings help you to understand if a place is likely achievable or not. On the face of it DS would’ve ranked 560 (something) last year but his score was above the AQS. On the rankings I wouldn’t have thought he had much chance. I’m clearly not understanding something. I :?
For starters, the ranking include
1. both southern and eastern regions
2. Both boys and girls
3. Catchment priority

That should Filter and trim the list to give good guesstimate. This forum has wealth of resources which can help in making an informed choice
Klou

Post by Klou »

bonvivz wrote:
Klou wrote:
mumof_2 wrote:A vast number of Worcestershire and Solihull children are likely to be applying to Warwickshire schools for September 2020. Previously they would have gone to Birmingham’s King Edward schools, but due to the foundation changing the admissions policy, this year is an unknown. Many of these areas are inside the Catchment circle/s for Warwickshire, hence they will apply to the grammars here instead.

It will be interesting to see the increase in numbers when the rankings come out. Will no doubt be more than the 3369 last year. Unfortunately you therefore can’t use last years results as a great guide, given the likely increase in candidates, the AQS are likely to be higher this year.
I’m not understanding quite how the rankings help you to understand if a place is likely achievable or not. On the face of it DS would’ve ranked 560 (something) last year but his score was above the AQS. On the rankings I wouldn’t have thought he had much chance. I’m clearly not understanding something. I :?
For starters, the ranking include
1. both southern and eastern regions
2. Both boys and girls
3. Catchment priority

That should Filter and trim the list to give good guesstimate. This forum has wealth of resources which can help in making an informed choice
Yep. Clear as mud. Although I have no doubt that the fault lies in my lack of ability to understand. The only rankings I’ve seen were from last year and they didn’t include any breakdown by area, sex or catchment? A pp also stated that this year there wasn’t due to be any rankings. I think we’ll chance a AGS application based upon the last 5 years AQS scores.
WarwickshireOzzie

Post by WarwickshireOzzie »

Nervytimes wrote:With a score of 204 is it even worth putting RHS as an option on the application form? We live in the inner circle, but don't Think it will be a high enough score. Any advice appreciated
It’s certainly worth considering as putting it down won’t affect her place at any other school choices. It might not be high enough for the waiting list but would give you potential to appeal. I’ll add a small warning though, and this is very much child-dependant. Depending on the prep she had, and how she does at school, if 204 is representative of her ability, then she’ll be at the lower end of the ability spectrum at a GS. How will she manage with that? Some kids don’t mind and flourish as they are able to avoid comparing themselves and are unbothered by being towards the bottom of the pack, others really struggle and it affects self-esteem, may mean tutoring is needed down the line to keep up. Kids are mean too and having an older teen at GS, I’m aware they often rank themselves and it’s very clear who did well and who scraped in. Only you know how she’ll fare in that type of environment.
sunisshining

Post by sunisshining »

The amount of information WCC have been giving out about ranking has been decreasing each year. I know that two years ago rankings were only given out for position amongst all children who took the exam and by gender. It was not broken down by southern/eastern areas or by catchment.

As suggested by a previous poster, it is therefore quite possible that rankings are not going to published at all this year. This will make it harder to judge any impact of increased numbers of children from Solihull/Worcester/Birmingham hoping for places at Warwickshire schools on the qualifying scores for the different schools.

I'd suggest that the best thing to do would be to look at last year's scores/rankings, assume that the AQS may have gone up a few points and make an assessment based on that. There's also a few useful documents on the Warwickshire Freedom of Information site (link posted by earlier poster), one lists last year's 1st March offers for each school along with the scores achieved.

It is a bit of a guessing game unfortunately.
Centralperk

Post by Centralperk »

WarwickshireOzzie wrote:
Nervytimes wrote:With a score of 204 is it even worth putting RHS as an option on the application form? We live in the inner circle, but don't Think it will be a high enough score. Any advice appreciated
It’s certainly worth considering as putting it down won’t affect her place at any other school choices. It might not be high enough for the waiting list but would give you potential to appeal. I’ll add a small warning though, and this is very much child-dependant. Depending on the prep she had, and how she does at school, if 204 is representative of her ability, then she’ll be at the lower end of the ability spectrum at a GS. How will she manage with that? Some kids don’t mind and flourish as they are able to avoid comparing themselves and are unbothered by being towards the bottom of the pack, others really struggle and it affects self-esteem, may mean tutoring is needed down the line to keep up. Kids are mean too and having an older teen at GS, I’m aware they often rank themselves and it’s very clear who did well and who scraped in. Only you know how she’ll fare in that type of environment.
Just to give another perspective. My Husband didn’t pass the 11 +, his Mum appealed and he went to Tonbridge Grammar for boys, he ended up with the highest GCSE grades in the whole school.

My Son got 215 last year and went to Sheriff. In the first week he said that everyone was boasting about their 11+ results and they all got higher than him. I reassured him that he absolutely had earned his respectable mark to be there. He is now flourishing and loving it.
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Never say never with LSS....if it is your absolute preference (and as you have a guaranteed second choice comp) then list it first and the comp second on your CAF. You lose nothing and may get an offer even if it is after the national allocation day.
We are going to sit down together to fill in the CAF next week, he is swinging hot and cold between putting it on the list and not at the moment, so I want him to take his time and not make a hasty, rushed decision. I am so proud of the way he has bounced back so quickly and was the first person to congratulate others at the bus stop this morning. I think it is highly unlikely it will go so low as 200 and want to manage his expectations accordingly, the comp will be a good fit for him in my opinion.
Smallbean

Post by Smallbean »

One thing you might want to clarify with LSS is their music and drama.

My son is there and, although music is Ok, there isn’t much drama going on. They do it in year 7, can’t remember about year 8 but nothing after that. GCSE music is an option but nothing from year 9 if not taken as an option.

DS does book a music room at lunchtime sometimes.

It might just be he avoids everything, but if it’s important to your son, the comp might be a better fit anyway.
Nervytimes

Post by Nervytimes »

WarwickshireOzzie wrote:
Thank you for your reply, and will take on board your comments. Regarding tuition, we didn't send her to a tutor, so apart from a few practice papers in the month leading up to the exam, that was all the prep she had. She's doing very well at primary and I think she would be a good fit for the school. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. Thanks again for your input.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now