KES vs AGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jimbobjoe321

Re: KES vs AGS

Post by jimbobjoe321 »

Molly10 wrote:
jimbobjoe321 wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:They are very different in style. KES is very traditional - the feel of a private boys school, a "rugby" playing school in all senses of the word, single sex (although girls in the 6th form), with very strict discipline and rules - including specific hairstyles - that are clearly outlined and enforced. It also has compulsory Latin and Mandarin. It is a much smaller school which can be harder for some boys who do not make friends easily. It has a very high GCSE point score to enter the 6th form and boys do leave at this point if they do not achieve it.

AGS is less traditional, encourages sport to be continued to play outside of school, much larger, co-ed, more relaxed (but still has rules/discipline), slightly lower entrance point score to 6th Form.

We have had two boys at KES and have many friends with children at AGS - they are very different schools and I know that our friends who have boys at AGS would not have chosen KES as it absolutely would not suit their boys (even though they did well enough to have gained a place) and vice versa. So you should not feel that you "have" to go to KES just because he scored highly enough - the right school is far more important.

It is also key, where you live - KES has very high expectations that boys will fully immerse themselves in extra curricular activities - after school and on Saturdays - you are expected to get your boy there/collect them afterwards, so make sure travel options are robust.

If KES is right for your son by all means go for it but do NOT just go for it because people say you should - I do know several boys who have been deeply unhappy at KES because it was not the right environment for them and they have left the school because of it - interestingly, often to move to AGS! The right school environment is the only right school for your son - not just a points score based decision.
I am interested to know what reasons made these boys unhappy and is it difficult to make friends in KES? It is difficult to know if the school is the right one until they actually go to the school and experience themselves. We apply for both schools, Alcester is nearer to us. But my DS likes KES.
I just to let you know my experience of KES when my DS started in September 2019. We were a little worried because he was the only boy going there from his primary school, although he did know three other boys through Cubs/Scouts. What impressed us before he had even set foot in a classroom was the welcome evening. During his speak the headmaster got small groups of boys to stand up, pointing out that they all had the same favourite book, or that they were all Scouts, really helping them understand that although they didn't know each other yet, they already had lots of things in common, and that in time they would find friends for life within their year group. It might sound a bit cheesy, but it was really impressive. My son has settled into the school really quickly, I drop him at the station in the morning and barely get a "Bye Mum," before he's off with his friends. Not everyone's experience will be the same, but for us, so far, it's been great.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
jimbobjoe321

Re: KES vs AGS

Post by jimbobjoe321 »

Molly10 wrote:
jimbobjoe321 wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:They are very different in style. KES is very traditional - the feel of a private boys school, a "rugby" playing school in all senses of the word, single sex (although girls in the 6th form), with very strict discipline and rules - including specific hairstyles - that are clearly outlined and enforced. It also has compulsory Latin and Mandarin. It is a much smaller school which can be harder for some boys who do not make friends easily. It has a very high GCSE point score to enter the 6th form and boys do leave at this point if they do not achieve it.

AGS is less traditional, encourages sport to be continued to play outside of school, much larger, co-ed, more relaxed (but still has rules/discipline), slightly lower entrance point score to 6th Form.

We have had two boys at KES and have many friends with children at AGS - they are very different schools and I know that our friends who have boys at AGS would not have chosen KES as it absolutely would not suit their boys (even though they did well enough to have gained a place) and vice versa. So you should not feel that you "have" to go to KES just because he scored highly enough - the right school is far more important.

It is also key, where you live - KES has very high expectations that boys will fully immerse themselves in extra curricular activities - after school and on Saturdays - you are expected to get your boy there/collect them afterwards, so make sure travel options are robust.

If KES is right for your son by all means go for it but do NOT just go for it because people say you should - I do know several boys who have been deeply unhappy at KES because it was not the right environment for them and they have left the school because of it - interestingly, often to move to AGS! The right school environment is the only right school for your son - not just a points score based decision.
I am interested to know what reasons made these boys unhappy and is it difficult to make friends in KES? It is difficult to know if the school is the right one until they actually go to the school and experience themselves. We apply for both schools, Alcester is nearer to us. But my DS likes KES.
I just to let you know my experience of KES when my DS started in September 2019. We were a little worried because he was the only boy going there from his primary school, although he did know three other boys through Cubs/Scouts. What impressed us before he had even set foot in a classroom was the welcome evening. During his speak the headmaster got small groups of boys to stand up, pointing out that they all had the same favourite book, or that they were all Scouts, really helping them understand that although they didn't know each other yet, they already had lots of things in common, and that in time they would find friends for life within their year group. It might sound a bit cheesy, but it was really impressive. My son has settled into the school really quickly, I drop him at the station in the morning and barely get a "Bye Mum," before he's off with his friends. Not everyone's experience will be the same, but for us, so far, it's been great.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now