Any option to start at LSS in Y9?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mamabear84

Any option to start at LSS in Y9?

Post by Mamabear84 »

My son has taken the 11+ and a few weeks ago received his score, which is 150+. We live near LSS. He's currently at an independent school which goes through to Y8. We have applied for LSS as first choice school with a Y7 start in 2020 but want to make sure we've thought through all the options. Is there ever an option to start at LSS in Y9? Obviously I understand they wouldn't 'hold' a place for him(!) but if he stayed where he is, is there any chance there would be spaces in Y9, and if so would his score then come into play or would he have to sit another test? Thank you.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Any option to start at LSS in Y9?

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I am not familiar with LSS but grammar schools in our area rarely have places come up in later years but sometimes one or two places a year do materialise.

Looking at the admissions document http://www.lawrencesheriffschool.net/pa ... =component" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the school do take the Y7 test result into account for in-year applications:
Children who have previously been tested for admission will be considered based on their original test results. Children who have not previously been tested for admission will be tested.
Mamabear84

Post by Mamabear84 »

Thank you. I know people will likely hold onto their places, but I'm sure there must be occasional people that move away or switch or whatever. Good to know they take the test into consideration but it's probably too big a risk to not start him in Y7 and hope there'd be a Y9 space. For personal reasons related to my son (rather than anything to do with either school specifically) I do feel he'd be better staying where he is for another couple of years if it was an option.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It would be a big risk as a) you'd be waiting in the hope that a place came up and b) you would be relying on there not being anyone else who would actually sit above him on any waiting list.
Mamabear84

Post by Mamabear84 »

Thank you, that's what I thought.

(By the way, my original post should have said 250+ not 150+, but I think you got what I meant!)