Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:18 pm 

I had an email today from Warwickshire Transport. The school buses run by Warwickshire to Alcester Grammar are being withdrawn at the end of July and run by the Green Bus Company instead on new routes. Several small villages in Warwickshire will no longer have a school bus to AGS, in particular those in the Tanworth in Arden area. Warwickshire children will no longer be able to get to Warwickshire grammar schools if they live in rural locations.

However, The Green Bus Company will run several routes into Solihull and Birmingham from Alcester, so good news for some. But utterly frustrating for Warwickshire residents. My youngest son really wanted to go to AGS and now if he gets a place may not be able to take it up. My elder son may not be able to stay at AGS.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:07 pm 

We have had several bus changes/route changes over the years - they are dependent on enough students to make the route economically sound - and you are a fair distance from Alcester so perhaps there are not enough students to make it viable.

Could they get a bus to Henley, bus or train to Stratford and then out to Alcester? At least you have time to look at possible routes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:14 pm 

We are 9 miles from Alcester so well within catchment.

The nearest bus stop is now 2 miles down a main road with no pavement or street lights and traffic going up to 60mph. We could drop them at Henley for mornings, but working full time means evenings walking up the road in the dark.

We have a free school bus for Henley school due to our remote location.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:39 pm 

It appears that there are lots of changes to Warwickshire school buses from September (something to do with accessibility legislation which I didn’t really understand as the change came into effect on the 1st Jan).

So even if you researched what was available this academic year, it may be different come September.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:39 am 

Hi there. It's not just the Alcester buses.

I got the email too as my DS is at AGS, and his service is switching to The Green Bus company.

We are hopeful that DD will be offered a place at SGGS next week, so I looked up the timetable for the bus she would need. It's the bus that takes all kids in our village to both SGGS & KES. The timetable states that the service ends in July and from September the route will be provided by The Green Bus company too.

Everyone needs to check.

We currently qualify for a reduced rate, and having spoken to WCC today, this will not continue as they are no longer providing the service. Going from one half price pass to two full time passes is a huge hit for us, and maybe for others too. If so, it's important that you check.

On the bright side, my son's journey time is going to be halved! So he's really happy about it ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:48 pm 

I’ve just been on The Green Bus website and it says that these are public busses and they cannot guarantee anyone a seat, even if they have a pass. Should we be concerned about this?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:57 pm 

WarksMum wrote:
I’ve just been on The Green Bus website and it says that these are public busses and they cannot guarantee anyone a seat, even if they have a pass. Should we be concerned about this?

If they are public services, I would investigate whether there is a public season ticket that is cheaper than the special 'school' one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:38 pm 

ToadMum wrote:
WarksMum wrote:

If they are public services, I would investigate whether there is a public season ticket that is cheaper than the special 'school' one.

The website says: ‘We do not offer weekly, monthly, or termly passes.’ And: ‘Do you have to have a pass to travel on your bus?
No, you can purchase tickets on the bus. However, if you travel 3 times or more each week it often works out more cost effective to have a pass.’

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:42 pm 

I think that is fairly standard for bus companies to say they can’t guarantee seats even for pass holders - it’s a public bus so they might find one day lots of people want to go somewhere as a one off, and the bus might be full - some companies say pass holders get priority on busy routes. But who knows!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:58 pm 

I emailed Warwickshire education transport. They responded that they are sorry I don't feel the bus is suitable for my kids... and as it is now a commercial service its outside of their control.

It's not about feeling - it's a matter of safety. My concern about the 2 mile walk down a fast country road with no lights or pavement is not a mere sentiment!

Apparently AGS helped design the new service, but education transport are going to discuss the route again with school and Green Bus, so fingers crossed. I've also emailed the headteacher.

If not, I may be trying to sort out a private taxi/minibus for villages around Henley that are now excluded from the school bus route.