Changes to Warwickshire School Buses

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Charlize99

Re: Changes to Warwickshire School Buses

Post by Charlize99 »

Is the school bus 288 still running from Leamington to Alcester? What are parents thoughts on when to get bus passes - after you accept a place? If you are waiting list for your first choice but get into second and schools are in completely difference areas do you wait until you are 100% sure which school they are going too. I understand there is a rush for bus passes etc but have no idea if there are any other buses going from Leamington Spa to Alcester.

Thanks in advance for those who reply.
Dremma

Post by Dremma »

Charlize99 wrote:Is the school bus 288 still running from Leamington to Alcester? What are parents thoughts on when to get bus passes - after you accept a place? If you are waiting list for your first choice but get into second and schools are in completely difference areas do you wait until you are 100% sure which school they are going too. I understand there is a rush for bus passes etc but have no idea if there are any other buses going from Leamington Spa to Alcester.

Thanks in advance for those who reply.
Hi - I think you’ll need the 303 Ridleys service for Leamington to Alcester. Look on their website- it’s not done via WCC now. I’m in a similar situation of needing a place on that bus and obviously not knowing for definite until next Monday but Ridleys have confirmed that if you have but AGS as 1st choice and you buy the bus pass now ( you have to pay in full), they will give a full refund in the event of not getting a place.
The September 2020 pass has been available to buy from the end of last week and there are 88 places I believe so it will get over subscribed I guess.
Hope that helps.
Charlize99

Post by Charlize99 »

Thank you Dremma,
I'll have a look at Ridleys 303. My DS has scored more than enough to get into Alcester but with the increase in applicants and solihull area being included im just waiting for confirmation. Should i wait?
Dremma

Post by Dremma »

Well I have bought a pass already as I absolutely didn’t want to miss out on the bus as there’s really no alternative one for us. Ridleys will honour a full refund if you don’t get the place so it seemed sensible to do so.
The alternative is to do it as soon as possible next Monday but get the application form all ready etc.
Charlize99

Post by Charlize99 »

Thank you Dremma
I've contacted Ridleys who have been really helpful. Thank you so much for getting back to me and good luck to all the children for next monday! xx
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

My older children currently use the green bus service to FW. There is a specific route which takes it directly to the school. Members of the public can board the board, but they don't tend to. (We do not live within walking distance of the route)

Passes are sold on an annual basis. There has never been a issue with there not being enough seats on the bus.

Ds2 will be sitting 11+ in September and due to changes in Bham, he will not be able to join his siblings, so we will be hoping for AGS.

We received an email from the green bus a few weeks ago advising of the proposed new routes. These have now been finalised and can be found on their website http://www.thegreenbus.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Search bus services and school finder all the new routes are there.

The bus will stop at any bus stop along the route.

The 503 bus will be perfect for us, as it will stop right by our house!
Charlize99

Post by Charlize99 »

That’s great I’d you have found a bus right outside your house - how convenient is that! :)

The 504 leaves from Hatton to Alcester - bit of a trek to drive every morning and evening when I’m working full time and running around 2 other schools for my younger two. I think I will stick with Ridleys as my DS can walk to the parade and catch it directly from there.

Sorry to hear your Ds2 won’t be with older sibling - shame brum has changed its criteria - makes it so much harder for families who already have one child in a grammar before the changes came into force
jimbobjoe321

Post by jimbobjoe321 »

We are currently living Redditch, if next week we find out the result, we will need to think about to travel to Stratford as we put King Edward VI as first order. AGS is 2nd. Is there any bus to get there, or even from Studley.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

jimbobjoe321 wrote:We are currently living Redditch, if next week we find out the result, we will need to think about to travel to Stratford as we put King Edward VI as first order. AGS is 2nd. Is there any bus to get there, or even from Studley.

To get where? Stratford or Alcester? And how were you planning on getting to the schools, when you applied? Have the bus - or other public transport routes you planned to use, been changed?
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Charlize99 wrote:That’s great I’d you have found a bus right outside your house - how convenient is that! :)

The 504 leaves from Hatton to Alcester - bit of a trek to drive every morning and evening when I’m working full time and running around 2 other schools for my younger two. I think I will stick with Ridleys as my DS can walk to the parade and catch it directly from there.

Sorry to hear your Ds2 won’t be with older sibling - shame brum has changed its criteria - makes it so much harder for families who already have one child in a grammar before the changes came into force
I was very pleased that we have bus that will go from outside our house! We have spent the last 7 years driving to and from the bus for the older 2 !

It is a shame Brum have changed their criteria. Although doesn't really matter that much as DS1 is in upper 6th and is leaving this year dd1 in year 10.

We are in Warwickshire (just) and bus travelling times between FW and AGS are very similar.

Ds2 taking 11+ this year, so hopefully he'll get to alcester and can use our new bus! (Hoping for AGS as we would like to get DD2 there too)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now