Waiting list advice 2020

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

elevenplusnewbie

Re: Waiting list advice 2020

Post by elevenplusnewbie »

Just wondering if anyone has heard any more this week about waiting lists or anyone know of places likely to be given up? We were thrown by receiving an offer on Friday for an out of catchment non-selective school we'd placed third on our caf despite having already being offered (and accepted) a place at AGS! Bit baffled how we can be given offers at two schools and doesn't give me much faith in the efficiency of the process!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I would contact your home LA ASAP on Monday - are you Warwickshire based? Sometimes there are problems where the information across counties has not been transferred correctly. Or it could be that you are in Warks but, in that case, one of those schools have offered in error, so you need to know which one and why.
elevenplusnewbie

Thanks..spoken to LA ... they didn't seem to know what had happened but have assured me place at AGS is safe. Hoping we'll get some clarity on waiting lists next week to see if we're in with a chance of SGGS... the wait continues!
#thisisstress

Post by #thisisstress »

hi all, I'm new to this forum and hope this is the right thread to post this please.
Our son scored 233, one mark less than the AQS for King Edward vi School Stratford (so he's on the waiting list), though he has an offer at Alcester Grammar.

After speaking to WCC Admissions, I understand that the waiting list will be put together by March 16th and the first reallocations start on March 18th. School Admissions said they believe our son to be high on the KES waiting list and in a relatively strong position to take up an available place, should one arise, as I understand there's always movement on the waiting list.

Does anyone have any experience of the KES waiting list or offer any advice please?

Thanks!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

KES wait list moves less than any of the other two. It is difficult to know how many boys will be on the same score as you (the lower the score the more boys will likely be on it) and at that point it will come down to distance.

All you can do is find out your position on the wait list when it is released - remember that position my go up or down, depending on whether any late applicants get added above you. Be positive about AGS in the meantime - assume your son is going there unless you hear otherwise.
#thisisstress

Post by #thisisstress »

kenyancowgirl wrote:KES wait list moves less than any of the other two. It is difficult to know how many boys will be on the same score as you (the lower the score the more boys will likely be on it) and at that point it will come down to distance.

All you can do is find out your position on the wait list when it is released - remember that position my go up or down, depending on whether any late applicants get added above you. Be positive about AGS in the meantime - assume your son is going there unless you hear otherwise.
Many thanks for the prompt response!
elevenplusnewbie

This is what I find so frustrating about the process. I had to speak to our LA yesterday about additional offer received and so obvs asked about waiting lists. I was categorically told that there was genuinely nothing they could say about waiting lists as they hadn't been created yet so no way of knowing anything re. my daughters position yet they're telling other parents their child is near the top of the list and have a good chance! So unprofessional!!! Sorry... little rant over!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Please remember that what people report WCC as saying and what they actually say can often be tainted by what the parent reporting wants to believe they said.

WCC are experienced in knowing wait lists are unpredictable and until the official wait list comes out, have NO idea who is top of the list etc, as late applicants join or for example someone can now ask to be added, having not considered a particular school before.
Sandra24

Post by Sandra24 »

Hi - can anyone help. As WCC obviously don’t have any info to help me, which I do appreciate but a bit frustrated!!
DD scored 217 - qualifying score for AGS we are in catchment but this year they have offered to distance of 8.6 miles so she is 15 on the waiting list. Does anyone know if the list would realistically move that much for an offer ? Is it a bit early to say ? Thanks in advance.
Only1nickyt

Post by Only1nickyt »

If you look at the posts from last year it will give you an idea. I think I saw a post earlier in this thread showing an offer at AGS last year to someone who was circa 40 on the waiting list.

Every year is different, but I think you can be reasonably positive.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now