Different test dates for Warks and Bham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nervousmom

Re: Different test dates for Warks and Bham

Post by nervousmom »

Trying to put a positive spin on it for him.

However, I'm even more concerned about the possibility of it not going ahead.

DD is in year 11 and they have all been sent home for 2 weeks as 1 child has tested positive.

She sat behind the child for an hour last Thursday.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I suspect the test will go ahead but there will certainly be some children unable to take it due to isolation, although they are probably hoping the majority will probably be ok - and I am sure they will have contingency plans for those who can’t (akin to those who are ill on the day taking it on the back up day)

The isolation thing is very interesting - it seems to very much depend on the schools protocols in place and the local health authority as to whether while year groups are sent home or not.

Makes a total nonsense of Ofqual and the government’s insistence that exams should go ahead as usual, with different schools missing massive chunks of work at different times. The current Y11s/13s have had an absolutely awful time of it and it doesn’t look to be getting better any time soon. I hope your child remains Covid free.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Thanks KCG.

I mean this in the nicest way, like me, you have been around on here a long time :lol: . I always find your posts informative, so do feel reassured a little when you say you believe 11+ will go ahead.

My DD started her GCSE curriculum in year 9, so has an advantage over some children.

Ofqual have already removed certain aspects from certain subjects. For example she wont have to do poetry in English Literature, which she is pleased about because she struggled with that during lockdown.

She is struggling with teaching herself french, but her older brother has told her to use Quizlet for this.

He can help her with Maths, Physics and Chemistry, he is going to uni soon, but will be around the next couple of weeks if she needs help.

2020 has certainly been a year to remember!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Bless you NM, I hope I’m right, for your son’s sake!

I know Ofqual have made changes to some of the GCSE curriculum but the changes to A level have been woeful - and some if the things they have left in are ridiculous (like the PE NEA when a lot of sports are simply not allowed to be played, currently!)

Fingers crossed things settle and improve quickly.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

keeping everything crossed :D
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I guess everyone had had their email from Warwickshire now regarding the new testing dates,

Absolutely ridiculous that this has been delayed.

Birmingham are all done now and we've still got to wait another 8 weeks.

' I told you so' keeps going round my head, I hope I don't have cause to say it out loud.
JayC

Post by JayC »

So could you have a situation where a child could take the test in Birmingham and then have a second try at the same test in Warwickshire?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

It shouldn’t happen because you can only register with either Warks or Birmingham and then share results.
KenR

Post by KenR »

mitasol wrote:It shouldn’t happen because you can only register with either Warks or Birmingham and then share results.
But this would only be valid if the exam is Age Standardised as one Cohort across the 2 LEAs - there has been some rumours that they intend to standardise with 2 separate cohort which could be inconsistent. viz. a Solihull Child taking the B/Ham exam and sharing might in theory get a different Age Standardised scores in the two respective authorities/cohorts because the raw score/age standardisation tables could be different.
SH031

Post by SH031 »

KenR wrote:
mitasol wrote:It shouldn’t happen because you can only register with either Warks or Birmingham and then share results.
But this would only be valid if the exam is Age Standardised as one Cohort across the 2 LEAs - there has been some rumours that they intend to standardise with 2 separate cohort which could be inconsistent. viz. a Solihull Child taking the B/Ham exam and sharing might in theory get a different Age Standardised scores in the two respective authorities/cohorts because the raw score/age standardisation tables could be different.
KenR

Is there any feel of how a standardised score feeds into a raw score. I.e three children with same d.o.b, one scores 224 the other 214 and third 234. Assuming say 150 questions is that likely to be a couple of marks between them or 10-20?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now