Different test dates for Warks and Bham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KenR

Re: Different test dates for Warks and Bham

Post by KenR »

Is there any feel of how a standardised score feeds into a raw score. I.e three children with same d.o.b, one scores 224 the other 214 and third 234. Assuming say 150 questions is that likely to be a couple of marks between them or 10-20?
I did obtain a copy of the Age Standardisation Tables from the KE Foundation for the KE exams many years ago(2004 to be precise). This was at a time when they age standardised the Maths, VR & NVR sections separately and then added the Age standardised scores together to get a consolidate score. I recall you needed to average about 118 Age standardised score per paper to get through to the say Camp Hill Boys.

Below is a posting I sent at the time,
For example, in the Birmingham KE VR Tests in 2004 , to achieve a Standardised Score of 118 a child aged 11.18 years on the exam day would have to achieve score 71/100, whereas a child who was only 10.22 years would only have to score 65/100. Quite a difference.
For the Warks exam, I believe that 2 Age Standardisations are performed - 1 for Verbal questions, and 1 for Numerical/NVR combined. Historically, different question types used to have different Age Standardisation Tables. e.g for 2006 to achieve a section Age Standardisation score of 114 for a child aged 10.85 years on the day of the exam the child would need 64/100, 44/82 and 50/70 correct raw score for Verbal, Numerical and NVR respectively.

Sorry I don't have the old tables to hand (I had a clear out many years ago) - hope this helps
SH031

Post by SH031 »

KenR wrote:
Is there any feel of how a standardised score feeds into a raw score. I.e three children with same d.o.b, one scores 224 the other 214 and third 234. Assuming say 150 questions is that likely to be a couple of marks between them or 10-20?
I did obtain a copy of the Age Standardisation Tables from the KE Foundation for the KE exams many years ago(2004 to be precise). This was at a time when they age standardised the Maths, VR & NVR sections separately and then added the Age standardised scores together to get a consolidate score. I recall you needed to average about 118 Age standardised score per paper to get through to the say Camp Hill Boys.

Below is a posting I sent at the time,
For example, in the Birmingham KE VR Tests in 2004 , to achieve a Standardised Score of 118 a child aged 11.18 years on the exam day would have to achieve score 71/100, whereas a child who was only 10.22 years would only have to score 65/100. Quite a difference.
For the Warks exam, I believe that 2 Age Standardisations are performed - 1 for Verbal questions, and 1 for Numerical/NVR combined. Historically, different question types used to have different Age Standardisation Tables. e.g for 2006 to achieve a section Age Standardisation score of 114 for a child aged 10.85 years on the day of the exam the child would need 64/100, 44/82 and 50/70 correct raw score for Verbal, Numerical and NVR respectively.

Sorry I don't have the old tables to hand (I had a clear out many years ago) - hope this helps
Thanks that is very interesting.
rks2ban

Post by rks2ban »

Hello Do we know if the standardisation was applied to the Warwickshire score for the test given in Birmingham council. My DD score hasn't changed from the Birmingham result and Warwickshire result.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

When they've been marked as one cohort in the past the scores generally stayed the same between bham and warks.

This was the case for my DD and DN

This year they were marked separately due to the warks delay, however, I assume, they will have tried to standardise the scores in the same way to ensure results are similar across the board, hence the reason the scores are the same.

Do you mind sharing what score your DD got and which schools you're hoping for?