Bus from Redditch to AGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LJandCJ

Bus from Redditch to AGS?

Post by LJandCJ »

I think this might be a bit of a long shot but thought I'd try nonetheless - I'm investigating bus options, should ds get a place at AGS for Sept 2021. From what I can tell we have a couple of options:

- Public bus 247 run by Diamond, which I think at the minute has a separate service for school children because of covid, but from what I can gather this wouldn't normally be the case.
- Green bus 501 school service

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of either of these services/knows someone whose child uses either, who can comment on reliability, if it's busy (particularly interested in the 247 for this with it being a public service!), how many kids use it etc.

Basically - whichever option we potentially take, I don't want him being the only one if that makes sense.
nervousmom

Re: Bus from Redditch to AGS?

Post by nervousmom »

We have used the green bus service for a number of years for DS1 and DD1 (now first year of uni and year 11 at KEFW) DD1 now catches green bus at Miller & Carter in Solihull (green bus for Alcester also passes here!)

We have never had any issues. You get the occasional break down, but overall, we have never had any complaints.

The bus has always been reliable with real time tracking (which works most of the time!)

My niece is currently in year 13 at Alcester, she uses the Stagecoach service from Hollywood. She did switch to green bus at the start of the year as it is cheaper, but moved back to Stagecoach as it was quicker.

I like the green bus because of being a dedicated school bus (before covid general public could board, but didn't tend to)

Hope this helps.
LJandCJ

Post by LJandCJ »

Thank you yes that is very helpful.

I think I’m leaning towards the idea of the green bus because of it being a dedicated school bus too - presumably it pulls into the school to collect and drop off whereas I’m assuming a public service wouldn’t do this, which would make me feel better in the early days knowing there’ll be people guiding him in the right direction.

That said, the public bus route is more accessible from our house and also means if there was ever a reason I couldn’t pick him up from the bus stop, he could get a connecting bus to go straight past our house.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

At KEFW the buses have a specific spot outside the school where they drop the kids in the morning and collect on an evening.

The bus will also stop at any bus stop along the route.