Allocation & Waiting List movement - March 21 - Scores only

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nervousmom

Re: Allocation & Waiting List movement - March 21 - Scores o

Post by nervousmom »

Aarons wrote:DD got 220 , southern priority
WL 38 for AGS and SGGS 39
Anybody advice me if I should go for an appeal as my daughter is really bright in maths and won primary maths challenge
Thanks
It is very rare for appeals to be granted and the reasons usually have to relate to exceptional circumstances. I'm afraid to say, from your comments, I don't think that alone would be grounds for an appeal,unless you feel there were exceptional circumstances that prevented her from performing to her full ability.

Its also worth bearing in mind that the Birmingham/warwickshire exam is weighted more towards verbal reasoning (english) so is more suited to those good at English rather than mathematicians . (50% English and 25% each for maths and NVR)

If you look at the score breakdown you will see the maths and nvr were added together and the average found, the full English score is then added to this, giving you final score.
del

Post by del »

Anybody advice me if I should go for an appeal as my daughter is really bright in maths and won primary maths challenge
Thanks
I did a little bit of homework on this "just in case" and there is a really informative post on this forum in the General -> 11+ Appeals Section here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's worth reading and then decide. According to the Q&A the odds of success are heavily stacked against you, but if you don't try you will never know.

I would also add that the deadline for appeals is 29th March. Appeals after this date won't be heard until later in the year. Warwickshire CC have a website with all relevant info on appeals here: https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/school- ... -placement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They even show previous years' appeals success rate. For AGS 4 out of 31 appeals were successful in 2020 and at SGGS there were no successful appeals out of 10 submitted.

Hope this helps.
Aarons

Post by Aarons »

Thank you so much
That’s very helpful
darkmuseuk

Post by darkmuseuk »

Thanks
I'm afraid everyone who scored highly also have really bright children, so unless there is more to this then I cannot see how an appeal could be successful. My DS achieved a score that would have got him a place at KES for any other year in history, but still he's 19th on the waiting list. It was a strange year, possibly more people took the test, possibly something else happened to skew some high scores (although if its standardised/normalised then it surely must just be that more people took the test, so more got higher and more got lower). Did any FOI requests show that?
marina23

Post by marina23 »

Hi, my DD got a score of 232 and due a late application to solihull council we are on the waiting list and she is number 3 for SGGS. We haven't heard anything yet and her position hasn't changed when I last called the Warwick council.
Chantry_001

Post by Chantry_001 »

darkmuseuk wrote:
I'm afraid everyone who scored highly also have really bright children, so unless there is more to this then I cannot see how an appeal could be successful. My DS achieved a score that would have got him a place at KES for any other year in history, but still he's 19th on the waiting list. It was a strange year, possibly more people took the test, possibly something else happened to skew some high scores (although if its standardised/normalised then it surely must just be that more people took the test, so more got higher and more got lower). Did any FOI requests show that?
Hi,
I looked at the FOI response yesterday which showed the rankings. As an example, our daughter scored 248 (southern priority), out of all pupils she was 65th (alongside the others who also scored 248). If you filter on southern priority and then boys only, there were 37 up to that score, but for Girls it was only 9. If you go down further towards e.g. 240 points, then with the increase in pupils at each score point, the 86 KES places are gobbled up pretty quickly.

Not sure historically, but possibly this year, there was a larger amount of boys getting the higher scores and if you are in the southern priority circle you are more likely to choose KES as first preference....

Hope that helps a bit
new2elevenplus

Post by new2elevenplus »

marina23 wrote:Hi, my DD got a score of 232 and due a late application to solihull council we are on the waiting list and she is number 3 for SGGS. We haven't heard anything yet and her position hasn't changed when I last called the Warwick council.

Hi, Marina23 do you live in a priority area?
marina23

Post by marina23 »

I just received an email as soon as I posted on here . My daughter has been offered a place at SGGS. We are so pleased and relieved .
marina23

Post by marina23 »

Yes we live in the priority area.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

marina23 wrote:I just received an email as soon as I posted on here . My daughter has been offered a place at SGGS. We are so pleased and relieved .
that's great news :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now