Timings - can they wear a watch? Is there a clock?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mamabear84

Re: Timings - can they wear a watch? Is there a clock?

Post by Mamabear84 »

Proud-Dad wrote:
nervousmom wrote:I would be send them in a watch. Even if analogue, they could be asked to remove and that might not help their nerves. When my DS did it last year, he thinks there was a clock on the wall. However, they are given timings indicating how long they have left
According to the letter no type of watches are allowed in Slough and Buckinghamshire. I would guess it would be the same in other counties.

What is the point of wasting staff time and possibly delay the start time.

Say a start time of 9.05am instead of 9.00 is unwanted stress for other children especially if they want to keep to simple time keeping.
There's a registration period of 45 minutes, then registration ends 15 minutes before the exam start time, and then the exam starts 15 minutes after the official start time, so don't worry about wasting staff time or delayed start time - they've got it all built in. But I'll just ask the staff on the door anyway and then it's done and dusted before she's even in her seat.

My son definitely wore a watch 2 years ago. I just noticed the letter this time said no digital watches so assume analogue are allowed but wanted to check.
aquafina

Post by aquafina »

Mamabear84 wrote:I don't think we need to get the photo signed by the head. For a start, it's stuck onto the letter so how would they know who's signed the back. Secondly, anyone who hasn't done the 11+ before or who doesn't know they used to need it signed won't arrive with a signed photo as it doesn't say anything about it in the letter. I think it's safe to assume that we don't need to get it signed.
This is what I thought, there is no indication that the photo needs to be signed by the headteacher on the letter, so for the vast majority of people the question probably wouldn’t even enter their head. I’m not sure why I find the need to second guess everything!
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

nervousmom wrote:My post didn’t make sense, predictive text !!

I meant to say I wouldn’t send them with a watch!
That's good to hear. Let them do the exam without worrying about time. They can work through the paper quickly and accurately without panicking about how much time is left.
Mamabear84

Post by Mamabear84 »

aquafina wrote:
Mamabear84 wrote:I don't think we need to get the photo signed by the head. For a start, it's stuck onto the letter so how would they know who's signed the back. Secondly, anyone who hasn't done the 11+ before or who doesn't know they used to need it signed won't arrive with a signed photo as it doesn't say anything about it in the letter. I think it's safe to assume that we don't need to get it signed.
This is what I thought, there is no indication that the photo needs to be signed by the headteacher on the letter, so for the vast majority of people the question probably wouldn’t even enter their head. I’m not sure why I find the need to second guess everything!
Don't worry, I'm the same (hence this thread!)

Non-signed photo and perfectly normally watch it is, then! :lol:
Stressedmum87

Post by Stressedmum87 »

Glad someone mentioned the photo! My sister panicked me at the weekend saying it needed signing but the letter doesn’t mention it!
aquafina

Post by aquafina »

Sorry to ‘muddy the waters’ but I was looking through the Lawrence Sheriff admissions policy for this year and found this paragraph:

“If your child is sitting the test in a Warwickshire venue and you arrive at the test session without a photograph of your child which is signed and dated by the Headteacher of your child’s school or, if your child is home educated, by a responsible person drawn from the range of professions acceptable for passport identification purposes, they will not be able to sit the test on that day and your registration will be considered as late.”

Better get that photo signed then.. (just in case).
Mamabear84

Post by Mamabear84 »

aquafina wrote:Sorry to ‘muddy the waters’ but I was looking through the Lawrence Sheriff admissions policy for this year and found this paragraph:

“If your child is sitting the test in a Warwickshire venue and you arrive at the test session without a photograph of your child which is signed and dated by the Headteacher of your child’s school or, if your child is home educated, by a responsible person drawn from the range of professions acceptable for passport identification purposes, they will not be able to sit the test on that day and your registration will be considered as late.”

Better get that photo signed then.. (just in case).
Sounds like this is cut and paste and the LA haven't told them the policy has changed on this. There is nothing about it in the letter so most people will turn up without it signed. They are also asking for it to be stuck to the letter so the previous policy which stated the back had to be signed (and with specific wording) won't work.