Timings - can they wear a watch? Is there a clock?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mamabear84

Timings - can they wear a watch? Is there a clock?

Post by Mamabear84 »

It says in the letter that they mustn't wear a digital watch but would a standard analogue watch be ok do you know?

And does anyone know if there's a clock in the room with them? That would be easier than checking a watch to see if they're on track with timings.

Finally, does anyone know if they give them any kind of time warnings, like 'half way' or '1 minute left'?
pgm

Re: Timings - can they wear a watch? Is there a clock?

Post by pgm »

I would take the letter to mean that no watches at all are allowed. There is a CD which plays throughout the test though which has all of the timings on, including how many minutes left in each section etc. DD said that the CD was playing so loudly that it made everyone jump the first few times it announced anything! I think just having your child work as quickly as possible through each section and relying on the CD to know when they're nearly out of time would be better than asking them to try to keep track of it themselves using a clock. Otherwise they could waste valuable time trying to remember what time a section started and how long they have left rather than answering questions.
aquafina

Post by aquafina »

A couple of questions along similar lines:

Letter stated no pencil cases are allowed but rather a clear plastic bag. Assume a clear plastic pencil case is alright?

Requested a photograph but made no mention of it being signed by the headteacher. Assume this no longer required?

Thanks..
rsparma

Post by rsparma »

Hello there

I checked this morning with the council - yes, we need to get the photo signed by the head ideally.
As for pencil cases, I’m just putting his pencils in a clear plastic bag and I’m assuming an analogue watch is ok.
Mamabear84

Post by Mamabear84 »

I don't think we need to get the photo signed by the head. For a start, it's stuck onto the letter so how would they know who's signed the back. Secondly, anyone who hasn't done the 11+ before or who doesn't know they used to need it signed won't arrive with a signed photo as it doesn't say anything about it in the letter. I think it's safe to assume that we don't need to get it signed.
Mamabear84

Post by Mamabear84 »

I'm putting pencils etc in a clear plastic bag. I think I'll send her with her analogue watch on but ask the person on the door if it's ok as she can always whip it off and give it to me last minute.
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

Mamabear84 wrote:I'm putting pencils etc in a clear plastic bag. I think I'll send her with her analogue watch on but ask the person on the door if it's ok as she can always whip it off and give it to me last minute.
No type of watches allowed in Slough and Buckinghamshire. A child could stress out and panic if they have to keep on worrying about the time.

It would be better to work as fast as they can while being accurate. Thinking about time could make them make mistakes and not read the questions properly.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I would be send them in a watch. Even if analogue, they could be asked to remove and that might not help their nerves. When my DS did it last year, he thinks there was a clock on the wall. However, they are given timings indicating how long they have left
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

nervousmom wrote:I would be send them in a watch. Even if analogue, they could be asked to remove and that might not help their nerves. When my DS did it last year, he thinks there was a clock on the wall. However, they are given timings indicating how long they have left
According to the letter no type of watches are allowed in Slough and Buckinghamshire. I would guess it would be the same in other counties.

What is the point of wasting staff time and possibly delay the start time.

Say a start time of 9.05am instead of 9.00 is unwanted stress for other children especially if they want to keep to simple time keeping.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

My post didn’t make sense, predictive text !!

I meant to say I wouldn’t send them with a watch!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now