If child scores the AQS and lives nearby - are they in?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mamabear84

If child scores the AQS and lives nearby - are they in?

Post by Mamabear84 »

Sorry, this is probably a really stupid question. When my older child sat 11+ he achieved a high score and so we could feel confident that he would be accepted at a nearby grammar.

Now my younger child is doing the exam and likely to be more borderline. What I don't know is - if a child achieves the AQS or close (and lives very near the school) does that mean they are sure to get in? I know we won't know the AQS on results day, but just asking in general. Say the AQS is set at 212 and the child scores 212 and lives nearby - does that mean they are in? Or do they select the top 50 from that priority area regardless of scores and may not select down to 212 if the 50th highest score in that area was - say - 218?

Hope that makes sense?!
hermanmunster

Re: If child scores the AQS and lives nearby - are they in?

Post by hermanmunster »

Looking at Alcester Grammar as an example, after places for children with the school named on EHC - the allocation is as follows:
2.2.6.Categories 1 - 5 below relate to children whose 11+ registrations and secondary school
applications have been received on time.

2.2.6.1. Category 1: Looked-After or Previously Looked-After Children who achieve the
automatic qualifying score or above for this school for this particular year of entry.

2.2.6.2. Category 2: Children who live in the priority area who attract the Pupil Premium via
eligibility for Free School Meals who achieve the automatic qualifying score or above
for this school for this particular year of entry. Warwickshire Admissions will require, on
behalf of the school, evidence of Pupil Premium eligibility and the school reserves the
right to withdraw the offer of a place if the offer has been made on the basis of an
incorrect, fraudulent or misleading application.

2.2.6.3. Category 3: Children who live in the priority area who achieve the automatic
qualifying score or above for this school, for this particular year of entry.

2.2.6.4. Category 4: Children living outside of the priority area who achieve the automatic
qualifying score or above for this school, for this particular year of entry.

2.2.6.5. Category 5: Children who score below the automatic qualifying score, but above the
minimum score for the waiting list for this school, for this particular year of entry.
Looked-After or Previously Looked-After Children in this category will be given first
priority in ranking within this category, with the rest ranked according to score and
distance as per paragraph 2.2.3.
If you are looking at the bit in bold then I am pretty sure that AQS is set with a view to allowing all catchment pupils who have achieved it . Looking back at old results, the minimum score offered is always below the AQS (but above the minimum for the waiting list ) and they certainly go to category 4 on offers.

PS this is a useful document to from a few years back to see how the scores panned out on the day https://api.warwickshire.gov.uk/documents/WCCC-699-988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WarksMum

Post by WarksMum »

If they score the minimum AQS, there is a chance that they won’t get in. If there are too many pupils with that score, they work down the priority list (as previous poster has outlined). For example, last year, SGGS’ AQS was 224. Everyone 225+ was offered. For pupils with a score of 224, all applicants in Categories 1 & 2 were offered places. Applicants in category 3 living within 10.776 miles from the school were offered places. So you really need to be one point above the AQS to be GUARANTEED a place, otherwise you need to be in a top category, and closer to the school.
Mamabear84

Post by Mamabear84 »

Thank you so much - this is really helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.