Rugby girls - AQS and minimum score for 2021?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
naknat

Rugby girls - AQS and minimum score for 2021?

Post by naknat »

Hi, could someone help me please to find the information on Rugby girls AQS and min score for the 2021?
WarksMum

Re: Rugby girls - AQS and minimum score for 2021?

Post by WarksMum »

The AQS/minimum score for Rugby Girls starting in September 2021 was 210:

https://api.warwickshire.gov.uk/documen ... 03847-2520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ejf

Post by Ejf »

Just had an email from RHS that they will not be rescheduling their open day until November. I understand the issues with Covid, but it’s so frustrating as I feel very worried about choosing a school my daughter and I have never visited. You just can’t get a feel for a school from a website or a short video. I like to be able to ask the current students questions about the school, observe the atmosphere etc.

I also don’t see the point of an open even in November when we will have already ranked our choices.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

I have two daughters there ... you can ask me any questions or you can give me questions and I can ask them.

If you apply or not depends (IMO) on two things - will your DD make the qualifying score and what are the alternative schools like?
Centralperk

Post by Centralperk »

I too am having the same dilemma! So far we have only managed to see Ashlawn.

If you go on the RHS website there are quite a few videos you can look through. I did this with my daughter last night. It’s still not the same as getting a feel for the atmosphere in person.

Obviously we don’t know how she’s done on the 11+ yet, but her main concerns are going to an all girls school, she’s heard horror stories about it being bitchy :roll: and potentially going somewhere where she doesn’t know anybody- lots of her friends didn’t take the 11+ and already know they are (hopefully) going to the local comprehensive school.

My daughter is very capable and if she gets the qualifying score then I would really want her to go to a school where she can fulfil her potential.

My Son is at Sheriff (year 9) and was always adamant he wanted to go there. We were very lucky though as his best friend from primary also got in and they are in the same class.
Ejf

Post by Ejf »

Thanks sportsforall. That would be so helpful. I will wait until Monday as don’t want to waste your time if she doesn’t get the qualifying score! We have the nice dilemma of living in the south and eastern priority circles intersect so if she has done well, we will be able to choose between Stratford Girls and Rugby High. We really like Stratford (open day was yesterday) but Rugby would be much closer.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

Centralperk wrote:
Obviously we don’t know how she’s done on the 11+ yet, but her main concerns are going to an all girls school, she’s heard horror stories about it being bitchy :roll: and potentially going somewhere where she doesn’t know anybody- lots of her friends didn’t take the 11+ and already know they are (hopefully) going to the local comprehensive school.
I am sure you get those stories everywhere and it will vary year from year. Overall that has not been the experience for mine, however gender-fluidity, bisexuality and homosexuality is out of all proportion to the rest of the population (please don't misconstrue this as homophobic, just explaining to teenage girls that no 50% of the general population isn't gay). It seems to be a bizarre epidemic at this particular school. Mental health there is also quite fragile, although again I think given the last couple of years not unique to RHS.

The standard of teaching is high, but currently up to 20% of teachers are out sick on any one day so there is a lot of supply teaching even at GCSE level. Had they had a choice both daughters would have preferred a mixed grammar without question but they would also have picked single-sex grammar over comprehensive.

The head teacher is still very new in his role, and I think carries some big expectations on his shoulders, so is still getting to grips with the role.
Ejf

Post by Ejf »

sportsforall wrote:
Centralperk wrote:
I am sure you get those stories everywhere and it will vary year from year. Overall that has not been the experience for mine, however gender-fluidity, bisexuality and homosexuality is out of all proportion to the rest of the population (please don't misconstrue this as homophobic, just explaining to teenage girls that no 50% of the general population isn't gay). It seems to be a bizarre epidemic at this particular school. Mental health there is also quite fragile, although again I think given the last couple of years not unique to RHS.

The standard of teaching is high, but currently up to 20% of teachers are out sick on any one day so there is a lot of supply teaching even at GCSE level. Had they had a choice both daughters would have preferred a mixed grammar without question but they would also have picked single-sex grammar over comprehensive.

The head teacher is still very new in his role, and I think carries some big expectations on his shoulders, so is still getting to grips with the role.

It’s girls exploring concepts, themselves and each other (without having easy access to boys!).

The mental health issue does worry me. I worked in child psychiatry a few years ago (not in Warwickshire) and the rates of self harm and eating disorders amongst girls at the independent schools especially were so high. I’d rather my daughters get bad results than good results but start self harming or develop a mental illness.

I know boys can be distracting but I think they dilute some of competitiveness amongst girls. I went to a school that was nearly all boys as we were the first cohort of girls to join the school and it was great. Most of my adult friends are boys from school.

I wish there were more mixed grammars. I’ve not been able to visit Alcester but didn’t get a good feeling from the online videos on the website which was disappointing.
s.wood_2

Post by s.wood_2 »

My daughter attends an all girls grammer school - shes now in year 8. AMAZINGLY FRIENDLY.
However, how do i put this..
there is an extremely big wave of bisexual/non binary children that go here. All of her friends there, in both friendship groups are exploring sexuality options like this (not that there is anything wrong with either) but the percentage of girls in year 7/8 is a bit crazy, its almost encouraging the way.

Is this just a thing of the time/tik tok craze or i dont know.

Any help massively appreciated.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

s.wood_2 wrote:My daughter attends an all girls grammer school - shes now in year 8. AMAZINGLY FRIENDLY.
However, how do i put this..
there is an extremely big wave of bisexual/non binary children that go here. All of her friends there, in both friendship groups are exploring sexuality options like this (not that there is anything wrong with either) but the percentage of girls in year 7/8 is a bit crazy, its almost encouraging the way.

Is this just a thing of the time/tik tok craze or i dont know.

Any help massively appreciated.
Hi s.wood,

I have had the opportunity to observe this myself, and having compared notes with friends in other countries with teenagers we concluded this is all pretty normal as the girls figure out who they really are (and certainly not a tiktok craze). It’s actually, I think, a good indication of how safe the kids feel to express themselves.

HTH
PS

Edited to remove ambiguity