Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:31 am
Posts: 5
Hi All,

Sorry for this dummy question. we are based in Daventry and would like apply for Grammar school in Warwickshire but not sure where to start this journey.

Any body has any idea about tutor, online course or anything? Currently my kid is in year 4. I just want to pre for the coming year.

Any suggestion would be great

Thanks so much


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:32 pm
Posts: 7752
Location: East Kent
some useful advice here about choosing a tutor if you decide to go down that route

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=56408


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:02 am
Posts: 238
Do you have a girl or a boy? Do you have any idea which school? Assume LSS or RHS, if the latter than I have two going through and might be able to offer advice based on our experience. We started some tutoring in Y5 but only one term each, really depends on what the child enjoys now inside and outside of school. Also if not grammar, what are the other options open?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:12 pm
Posts: 15
I’m in Rugby.

Most people round here seem to tutor in Y5. Some don’t, and just use online info and the books to work through. It depends on the child to be honest and what will work best for them. I have done both with my children, as they needed and were motivated by different things.

Being in Daventry I would be mindful that with all the houses being built around Rugby, places for children further afield are likely to be further reduced year on year as more people in the outer circle who are closer take them; so maybe don’t put all the pressure and hopes on a grammar place and find one or two alternatives that you would be happy with as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:31 am
Posts: 5
sportsforall wrote:
Do you have a girl or a boy? Do you have any idea which school? Assume LSS or RHS, if the latter than I have two going through and might be able to offer advice based on our experience. We started some tutoring in Y5 but only one term each, really depends on what the child enjoys now inside and outside of school. Also if not grammar, what are the other options open?

Thanks so much. I got boy I am thinking LS and AS, RHS
Based on where we are, I don't know any other choices, can I chose other grammar school which is Coventry base?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:31 am
Posts: 5
StoneyCake wrote:
I’m in Rugby.

Most people round here seem to tutor in Y5. Some don’t, and just use online info and the books to work through. It depends on the child to be honest and what will work best for them. I have done both with my children, as they needed and were motivated by different things.

Being in Daventry I would be mindful that with all the houses being built around Rugby, places for children further afield are likely to be further reduced year on year as more people in the outer circle who are closer take them; so maybe don’t put all the pressure and hopes on a grammar place and find one or two alternatives that you would be happy with as well.

Thanks so much. Do you know any 11+ school or club which based in Rugby?
I know being in Daventry is right on the edge of the area, not sure other choices yet :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:59 pm
Posts: 3
Hi,

I hope someone could help me understand how to apply for secondary school (grammar). My son is currently in Year 5 and we live here in coventry. When can I apply for placement in Warwickshire council for school year 2023? It will be useful if someone from coventry can share their past experiences. I would like to know where should I start in the application.

Thank you :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:22 pm
Posts: 29
CJN wrote:
Hi,

I hope someone could help me understand how to apply for secondary school (grammar). My son is currently in Year 5 and we live here in coventry. When can I apply for placement in Warwickshire council for school year 2023? It will be useful if someone from coventry can share their past experiences. I would like to know where should I start in the application.

Thank you :)

Hello

I’m not from Coventry but am happy to offer a little advice.
For 2023 entry, you’ll prob need to wait til May time next year 2022 to sit the 11 plus exam. You can do this on the warwickshire cc website when they open up registration.
The 11 plus rxam will likely be sept 2022. Results oct 2022 and you’ll need to send off the secondary school preference form after you get the results, usually by the end of oct.
Take the next 6-9 months to visit open days at the schools ( if this is available) so you have a feel of them.

Good luck


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:59 pm
Posts: 3
Thank you for your reply. :)

Do I also need to apply directly to grammar school or do we wait for the offer from the school?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:51 am
Posts: 10460
CJN wrote:
Thank you for your reply. :)

Do I also need to apply directly to grammar school or do we wait for the offer from the school?


You usually register to take the exam and then after you get the results you fill in the CAF form with your school choices in order (via your local authority - not the school) - on March 1st you will be allocated a school, this will be the highest school on your list that can offer you a place


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2021