RESULTS THREAD for 2022 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rahulbsp

Re: RESULTS THREAD for 2022 entry

Post by rahulbsp »

What is the rule for moving into catchment by 31st Dec ?
So can you rent a property to start with ( and buy later ) inside the catchment or by 31st your DD primary school should also be in the area by 31st Dec, if suppose you are moving in from different town or city ?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/applyin ... hool-place" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like it is December 31st if moving into the area but they are very, very wary of people renting in the are to get a place, they may want to have evidence that you are really living there - the sort of things they can ask about are :

1. where does the child / other children go to school ?

2. can we see fuel bills? is this enough for a family of 3+ to be using or is this someone purely using it as a convenient address?

3. where are the family registered with a GP etc?

4. Is this property big enough for the family?

They have been known to "drop in" at 0700 to see if the family are there in term time with kids getting ready for school
helenh

Post by helenh »

I feel quite anxious about the 11+.

My DS scored 208, which, by previous years, is a long way off where he wants to go (KES), despite living well within the priority circle (we're only a mile away!)

I feel that I've failed him, by not getting him tuition early enough (he's at a state primary school), or not pushing him to do more practice over the summer.

I'm really anxious about him going to the High School. It's so big, and KES has always felt like a psychologically 'safe' school. It's small, it celebrates personal success, it's got an encouraging and motivating culture.

I know that rationally if it's not the right school for him, then he'd only struggle if he went there, and I don't want that for him.
But, I wish it was the right school for him, and wish that the state education system supported the 11+ more.

If nobody minds me asking, those that scored highly, did you have private tutoring? And for how long?
ric1982

Post by ric1982 »

helenh wrote:I feel quite anxious about the 11+.

My DS scored 208, which, by previous years, is a long way off where he wants to go (KES), despite living well within the priority circle (we're only a mile away!)

I feel that I've failed him, by not getting him tuition early enough (he's at a state primary school), or not pushing him to do more practice over the summer.

I'm really anxious about him going to the High School. It's so big, and KES has always felt like a psychologically 'safe' school. It's small, it celebrates personal success, it's got an encouraging and motivating culture.

I know that rationally if it's not the right school for him, then he'd only struggle if he went there, and I don't want that for him.
But, I wish it was the right school for him, and wish that the state education system supported the 11+ more.

If nobody minds me asking, those that scored highly, did you have private tutoring? And for how long?
Can’t say much about your DS's chances as it all depends on various factors. But can say one thing, Don’t blame yourself or your son about not getting enough tuition in time or anything like this. My DD had tuition but we still think was it enough. Its a battle you cant win. 'Hindsight is a wonderful thing'.

Also not getting into grammar school is also not that bigger deal as people makes it these days. I have spoken to number of parents in past month whose children went to one of the worst comprehensive schools in the country and still ended up going to Oxbridge or in medical.

I know these things are easier said than done and I have been there myself and still dealing with the dilemma time to time. But in essence its really up to individual child and not school.
Chantry_001

Post by Chantry_001 »

Hi Helen

If it helps, both our children are at KES and SGGS. they both had good scores and we are in the inner priority circle. Neither of them had any formal Year 4 tuition but did do the year of private tutoring for Y5 upto the exam. Certainly the summer period was more tricky (especially for our son) but without extra pressure, he did do work in the summer at set times and even on holiday when the sun was too hot, he did some regular work plus some top up sessions that most tutors run in late Aug and Sep. It is finding the balance as if you push too far the child will not do so well in the exam anyway. My son had a friend who was very bright and very over-tutored and by the end of it was burned out and scored less than my son did.

What I would say is that seeing how my son’s year at KES (he is now Y9) is panning out, he is saying that there are those that are struggling (maybe not always with low 11+ grades) and are not keeping up. There is lots of support but in maths for example, there are clubs for the boys to get help rather than the pace slowing down, so boys can be left behind if they are not of a certain level or do not do the extra work to get back up to speed.

We have friends whose son was tutored throughout Y4 and Y5 and he is not close at all to the qualifying grade (based on last year). So it is never an exact science.

So maybe your son could have got over the line but then struggled, or would have matured fine, that is the curse of the 11+, it is a moment in time regardless of whether they push on significantly in Y7/8 or stagnate. We felt that regardless of the outcome, all of the tutoring was helpful anyway to both our children.

I am sure your son will be brilliant regardless of being or not being at a grammar school, 11+ is only ever a punt at a school choice, never a certainty.
rahulbsp

Post by rahulbsp »

Do you have a child @ KES Birmingham (private school) and another at @SGGS Stratford ?

How do they commute are you based in Birmingham or near Strafford ?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

rahulbsp wrote:Do you have a child @ KES Birmingham (private school) and another at @SGGS Stratford ?

How do they commute are you based in Birmingham or near Strafford ?
I may be wrong, but I assumed that the KES mentioned here was the Stratford grammar school, not the Birmingham indie?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I agree ToadMum, it'll be KES Stratford. Both schools confusingly referred to by the same initials. A fair few used to travel from Stratford to KES Birmingham but not sure whether so many do these days
Vicksteroo

Post by Vicksteroo »

helenh wrote:If nobody minds me asking, those that scored highly, did you have private tutoring? And for how long?
I have two children that both scored highly enough for the Stratford grammars. With both we bought the CGP books and did them at home from the end of year 4 (sporadically), DS had zero external tutoring and DD had a dozen or so zoom sessions with a friend who's a maths teacher to improve her maths confidence. We totally dropped the ball over the summer holidays but they still pulled it out of the bag. A good friend used external, highly regarded tutoring for 2 years each for both her children, paying thousands of pounds - they both benefitted from this in their school work but didn't achieve grammar scores. Another good friend's DS taught himself - he was given the books and left to get on with it - he's achieved a brilliant score but has chosen the local high school over the grammar he could have attended.

It's not all down to the tutoring - each child is different, each will have different strengths and weaknesses, each will find their own way. And shoehorning a child into grammar by excessive tutoring often results in a struggling child that isn't happy - your child is likely to thrive at the high school, being in upper sets and with that boost of confidence of being one of the smartest in the room. I hope you're able to embrace the school you'll be allocated.
StoneyCake

Post by StoneyCake »

helenh wrote: If nobody minds me asking, those that scored highly, did you have private tutoring? And for how long?
I don’t think there is a general rule for this. Obviously some children are heavily tutored and succeed, but they are the ones likely to struggle in a grammar school longer term.

We aren’t as typically driven parents as some on here I would say, not being big fans of the 11+ system but just happening to live in the area really, we were pretty much led by our children as to whether they took the test/the schools they chose to go to.

Anyway. Eldest. Had tutoring, 30mins a week term-time only in Y5. We didn’t want anything heavy but he was adamant he needed a tutor so we compromised on that. He scored 220.

Son2. No interest in taking the 11+, clever but a bit of a coaster and will not be told, so very much led by him. He did maybe 8/10hrs in practise books from Jan-July this year and then 3 practise papers from a book over the summer holidays. Scored 234.

Grammar schools are usually good, but a good comprehensive is equally as good I would say. I don’t think they are necessarily as different as people think. Of course grammar schools would have excellent results - they cream off the top children so comparisons can’t really be made there.

I hope the school your son is allocated turns out to be a place where he is really happy and thrives. There is a lot to be said for being at the top end of a year group than struggling at the lower end.