Rugby High School: Chance of admission: Should we move or no

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
explorer2575

Rugby High School: Chance of admission: Should we move or no

Post by explorer2575 »

Hello All

So finally 11 plus test results are out, Our Daughter got 200 scores, I have been reading the criteria for gaining a place in Rugby High School,
https://www.rugbyhighschool.co.uk/attac ... 7&type=pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On page 2, Category 2, it states
Children who live in the priority areas, who qualify for the Pupil Premium via eligibility for Free School Meals42who
achieve the automatic qualifying score for this school for this particular year of entry or a mark above it, or a mark up
to 15 marks below it. Up to 20 places will be offered in this category (including any re-offers which are made from the
waiting list from this category after 1st March 2022).
Warwickshire Admissions will require, on behalf of the School, evidence of Pupil Premium eligibility and the School
reserves the right to withdraw the offer of a place if the offer has been made on the basis of an incorrect, fraudulent or
misleading application.

Am I understanding correctly, when allocating places, they will start from category 1 and then 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc etc, because my Daughter qualify in Category 2 she has a chance.

We have not moved to the priority area but seriously thinking to move only if daughter has serious chance of place

Please advise someone.
sportsforall

Re: Rugby High School: Chance of admission: Should we move o

Post by sportsforall »

She does have a serious chance if you are in the priority circles , but with a score of 200 (assuming that is what you meant) you need to be confident she will keep up with the pace of work. Whilst there is good support, both of my daughters have commented on the speed at which the curriculum is covered, how much homework they get and how much self-directed learning there is.

Is that score a true reflection of her ability (bearing in mind it is just a snapshot) or do you think she actually could likely have scored higher?
Mamabear84

Post by Mamabear84 »

Is it not too late to move? Maybe I'm wrong but we had to submit proof of address with the school application, which closes on 31 October.
StoneyCake

Post by StoneyCake »

I think the cut off for moving is Dec 31st.

Can I ask OP why you are so set on RHS? Do you feel the score doesn’t represent your daughter’s ability? Or did something happen on the day of the test that affected the outcome? Are the local schools not an option.

I think you have to be mindful that if 200 represents her, she may well be one of the weakest at RHS should she go there - would she cope with that/manage emotionally/would her self esteem be affected?
explorer2575

Post by explorer2575 »

sportsforall wrote:She does have a serious chance if you are in the priority circles , but with a score of 200 (assuming that is what you meant) you need to be confident she will keep up with the pace of work. Whilst there is good support, both of my daughters have commented on the speed at which the curriculum is covered, how much homework they get and how much self-directed learning there is.

Is that score a true reflection of her ability (bearing in mind it is just a snapshot) or do you think she actually could likely have scored higher?
Hi,
Thank you for writing valued stuff

Basically I would take on our neck we did not concentrate much on her studies as we both been busy in work stuff, we did not realise that parents start preparing their children one year ahead of the exam,

On exam day I think she got little confused about math questions, and regarding her ability I think score is true reflection of her ability is like half half, she could perform better had we concentrated enough on her studies.

Again I would say she is hard working daughter and to be honest I was not expecting that much, because heard stories from other parents that their children even left the test half way saying too long test. Even then she got 200 score.

Could you please advise if she would need private tution while studying in Rugby high school OR school covers all?
In terms of ethnicity in class/school, is this majority white/african/asian ethnicity ? what percentage of each?
explorer2575

Post by explorer2575 »

Mamabear84 wrote:Is it not too late to move? Maybe I'm wrong but we had to submit proof of address with the school application, which closes on 31 October.
Hi,
Thank you for your inputs

I think 31/10 is the last date to apply for school place, then 31/12 is the dead line to submit the proof of address

Can anyone advise what proof of address be accepted by Rugby high school / Warwickshire council?
And how does this work out say we move between 31/10 to 31/12 after submitting school place application and off course Rugby high school would be our 1st preference, and what happens we don't get a place? will they offere us place on 2nd preference, 3rd and so on, and what happens if the 2nd preference is not in catchment area, because on the time of applying we are in Coventry, then we change address to Rugby, and our 2nd and 3rd preference is in Coventry.
explorer2575

Post by explorer2575 »

StoneyCake wrote:I think the cut off for moving is Dec 31st.

Can I ask OP why you are so set on RHS? Do you feel the score doesn’t represent your daughter’s ability? Or did something happen on the day of the test that affected the outcome? Are the local schools not an option.

I think you have to be mindful that if 200 represents her, she may well be one of the weakest at RHS should she go there - would she cope with that/manage emotionally/would her self esteem be affected?
Hi
Thank you for your inputs

When applying for test we requested to share with Birmingham schools as well, Unfortunately Birmingham schools requires Automatic Qualifying Score which is 205, So Birmingham schools are out of the way

Warwickshire schools: Majority are alse looking for AQS which would be I guess 205 or 207,

RHS is the only which accept student who scored even under AQS mark Under Category 2, Our daughter falls under that Cetegory as she is taking fee school meals.

Scores are true reflection of her ability is like half/half as I stated above, but she can improve quick.
Off course every parent wants best for their children future,

We are in Coventry at present, and thinking to buy house or atleast rent a property if their are serious chance of place at school.

In terms of gaining address in Rugby,
Should we sell our property in Coventry and buy/rent in Rugby?
Should we buy/rent another property in Rugby?
What are your thoughts/guidance on these OR there are other ways of gaining address in Rugby for purposes of admission and once secured admission then do house move, buy house etc etc.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

Girls do travel from Coventry to RHS, so do you definitely need to move? You need to submit proof of address by 31st December in the form of a council tax bill and evidence that the child lives there too, so usually an NHS letter or some of their banking information (if they have a savings account for example).

In terms of extra tutoring, it is impossible to put a blanket answer to that, since we cannot know her strengths and weaknesses from just a forum post. Certainly girls are tutored but many are not.

The ethnic make-up is quite diverse, there is a large percentage of Indian / Pakistani girls and also from other European countries, probably more so than other schools in the area.

Moving house for her education is a huge pressure on her, not sure if you have other siblings to consider, but you don't want her to feel that she must go / must be successful and that you have made big sacrifices.

What are the choices local to you now? Are they a viable alternative? RHS isn't really a kudos school in the way some other grammars are, it is good but no better (IMO) than a good comprehensive.
explorer2575

Post by explorer2575 »

sportsforall wrote:Girls do travel from Coventry to RHS, so do you definitely need to move? You need to submit proof of address by 31st December in the form of a council tax bill and evidence that the child lives there too, so usually an NHS letter or some of their banking information (if they have a savings account for example).

In terms of extra tutoring, it is impossible to put a blanket answer to that, since we cannot know her strengths and weaknesses from just a forum post. Certainly girls are tutored but many are not.

The ethnic make-up is quite diverse, there is a large percentage of Indian / Pakistani girls and also from other European countries, probably more so than other schools in the area.

Moving house for her education is a huge pressure on her, not sure if you have other siblings to consider, but you don't want her to feel that she must go / must be successful and that you have made big sacrifices.

What are the choices local to you now? Are they a viable alternative? RHS isn't really a kudos school in the way some other grammars are, it is good but no better (IMO) than a good comprehensive.
Hi,
Thank you for your quick reply, it is always appreciated with millions of thanks, since the time is key

Can a child have an account on their own name? which bank offers that I open that account now.

Ref: Girls do travel from Coventry to Rugby High School,
I understand some areas (out skirt of Cov) like Binley wood comes under catchment of RHS but in terms of gaining place at school we definitely wants to be more confident, if there is competition then we have to be closer to school,

Could you advise how these girls (Living in Cov but studying in RHS) secured admission in RHS while living in Cov (I guess they might be in catchment area or not I am not sure). OR other ways of gaining admission?

I was wondering what if we rent a place in Rugby and use that address, I don't mind spending money? its gonna be hard though. We have one Mortgaged property in Coventry already,

Off course we will not pressure her (Our Daughter) that we are / will move house purly because of you, We have three altogether and Said Daughter is the eldest one who is starting secondary in 2022, next one in line will start secondary in 2023 and we are thinking about him too, Last one is in Year one now.

In terms of local choices, We have good choices (One good state school (Academy) and one faith school) but is not a grammer school and Mrs have a craze of Grammar schools and wants all children to go to Grammar and most children in Family went to Grammar and now working in NHS as Dr and other high posts.
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

explorer2575 wrote:
sportsforall wrote:Girls do travel from Coventry to RHS, so do you definitely need to move? You need to submit proof of address by 31st December in the form of a council tax bill and evidence that the child lives there too, so usually an NHS letter or some of their banking information (if they have a savings account for example).

Hi,
Thank you for your quick reply, it is always appreciated with millions of thanks, since the time is key

Can a child have an account on their own name? which bank offers that I open that account now.

Ref: Girls do travel from Coventry to Rugby High School,
I understand some areas (out skirt of Cov) like Binley wood comes under catchment of RHS but in terms of gaining place at school we definitely wants to be more confident, if there is competition then we have to be closer to school,

Could you advise how these girls (Living in Cov but studying in RHS) secured admission in RHS while living in Cov (I guess they might be in catchment area or not I am not sure). OR other ways of gaining admission?

I was wondering what if we rent a place in Rugby and use that address, I don't mind spending money? its gonna be hard though. We have one Mortgaged property in Coventry already,

Off course we will not pressure her (Our Daughter) that we are / will move house purly because of you, We have three altogether and Said Daughter is the eldest one who is starting secondary in 2022, next one in line will start secondary in 2023 and we are thinking about him too, Last one is in Year one now.

In terms of local choices, We have good choices (One good state school (Academy) and one faith school) but is not a grammer school and Mrs have a craze of Grammar schools and wants all children to go to Grammar and most children in Family went to Grammar and now working in NHS as Dr and other high posts.
I think most banks offer childrens accounts. I wouldn't recommend opening one until you have moved house, otherwise the account will be recorded against a Coventry address.

Going to a Grammar school is no guarantee of getting into Medical school. Likewise you are not barred from going to medical school if you have a comprehensive education.

You need to think carefully about your intentions. Move house if that is the right thing to do for all three of your kids, or don't move house if that is the right thing to do. However you need to think about what will happen if you move house, fail to get a place at RHS and then find you don't get a place at Coventry schools (which I am assuming will be 2nd / 3rd etc) on your CAF form as you no longer meet their entry requirements on distance from school as you now have a Rugby address.

There is a website that publishes key statistical information about each school in the UK (sorry cannot remember the URL, but you can search for this). If they do report ethnic breakdown of pupils (and I don't think they publish this info), it will would be found here. If not as a yardstick, use the ethic breakdown as Rugby as a best guess.

Children in Coventry do get places at the Rugby Grammar schools. The allocation criteria for schools are published online, however they have changed over time. The children have gained places against those allocation criteria, however each child will be different and have different circumstances.

Ultimately your opening question was whether you should move or not. That is a personal question that only you and your family can answer. Remember that you need to supply proof of address by Dec 31st. Doing that may cause financial hardship or family disruption, and the benefits may me marginal. You need to decide whether it is worth doing that.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now