SGGS v AGS v RHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ejf

SGGS v AGS v RHS

Post by Ejf »

Hi all, I would really appreciate some friendly advice as feeling really stuck regarding choice of Grammar school. I know it’s a lucky position to be in but as DD has been unhappy at her primary school we really want to get the choice right.

We know all 3 schools are good academically so our main concern is happiness/ manageability.

We live 12 min drive from RHS however have not been able to visit. We’ve gone and stood outside at home time and from the outside the grounds look well kept and spacious. I liked the fact there was a high ethnic mix however I know from attending a very diverse school myself sometimes children tend to gravitate to friendships within their own ethnic background- don’t know if this happens here. I’ve watched the videos on line but really don’t get a feel for the school from them. My daughter enjoys lots of extra curricular activities but their doesn’t seem to be too much on here, however, with the shorter journeys, he would have more time to do out side activities. Bus leaves 7.45 (right by house) and gets back 4.40.

I just don’t know if it’s the right place for my confident, energetic, drama, art and sport loving DD.

SGGS. We were also able to visit although it was a quick show around by 2 year 9s on a working day. Facilities OK (but buildings not as nice as AGS). Did like the fact they have running track and AstroTurf. My main two concerns are that I’ve heard there is ALOT of pressure academically and homework amount is sometimes high and unmanageable. Also the girls can be quite bitchy. I’ve also heard there are a lot of mental health difficulties. But I have no way of knowing if the levels are any higher than AGS or RHS.

AGS- also visited. We actually got to be shown round by a teacher. Facilities very good and teachers really friendly and enthusiastic. They children all seemed to be enjoying their lessons and seemed more outgoing. Lots of kids waved at my daughter when we went into classrooms. Lots of extra curricular activities that my daughter was excited about. We both came away feeling that she would be very happy there. However bus leaves at 7.40 (20 min drive from house) so would need to leave 7.15. Bus back arrives 16.36. I think she would manage this or does that sound crazy.

Can anyone see any flaws in my thinking processes above. We ‘feel’ that AGS is right school for her but

1. Maybe that’s because we haven’t seen RHS
2. Are we making a mistake not putting a very good school that’s only 12 min away first
3. Would SGGS suit my outgoing confident girl better than RHS

Any honest reviews of any of these schools would be much appreciated. Thank you if you’ve read this far.
WarksMum

Re: SGGS v AGS v RHS

Post by WarksMum »

Ejf wrote:Hi all, I would really appreciate some friendly advice as feeling really stuck regarding choice of Grammar school. I know it’s a lucky position to be in but as DD has been unhappy at her primary school we really want to get the choice right.

We know all 3 schools are good academically so our main concern is happiness/ manageability.

We live 12 min drive from RHS however have not been able to visit. We’ve gone and stood outside at home time and from the outside the grounds look well kept and spacious. I liked the fact there was a high ethnic mix however I know from attending a very diverse school myself sometimes children tend to gravitate to friendships within their own ethnic background- don’t know if this happens here. I’ve watched the videos on line but really don’t get a feel for the school from them. My daughter enjoys lots of extra curricular activities but their doesn’t seem to be too much on here, however, with the shorter journeys, he would have more time to do out side activities. Bus leaves 7.45 (right by house) and gets back 4.40.

I just don’t know if it’s the right place for my confident, energetic, drama, art and sport loving DD.

SGGS. We were also able to visit although it was a quick show around by 2 year 9s on a working day. Facilities OK (but buildings not as nice as AGS). Did like the fact they have running track and AstroTurf. My main two concerns are that I’ve heard there is ALOT of pressure academically and homework amount is sometimes high and unmanageable. Also the girls can be quite bitchy. I’ve also heard there are a lot of mental health difficulties. But I have no way of knowing if the levels are any higher than AGS or RHS.

AGS- also visited. We actually got to be shown round by a teacher. Facilities very good and teachers really friendly and enthusiastic. They children all seemed to be enjoying their lessons and seemed more outgoing. Lots of kids waved at my daughter when we went into classrooms. Lots of extra curricular activities that my daughter was excited about. We both came away feeling that she would be very happy there. However bus leaves at 7.40 (20 min drive from house) so would need to leave 7.15. Bus back arrives 16.36. I think she would manage this or does that sound crazy.

Can anyone see any flaws in my thinking processes above. We ‘feel’ that AGS is right school for her but

2. Are we making a mistake not putting a very good school that’s only 12 min away first

Any honest reviews of any of these schools would be much appreciated. Thank you if you’ve read this far.
Hi. You didn’t mention your daughter’s score. Are you happy to share this info?

SGGS—what does the transport situation look like for you?

AGS—am I correct in thinking that you will drive your daughter to a bus stop 20 minutes away, then she’ll catch a bus? And that bus journey will be nearly an hour? Sustaining this for 7 years sounds pretty intense. Do you have work commitments that would interfere, or are you certain that your career obligations won’t be changing in the next 7 years? I have a child at AGS, and we made sure that the ability to get to/from the bus stop without us was possible. I’ve also done the reverse to you—considered grammar in Rugby for my current Y6, but the reality of doing the drive to catch a train or a bus just doesn’t seem realistic for us (especially in the coming years, when morning traffic is back at pre-Covid levels), plus committing to be there at the end of the day for collection, was too big of a commitment for us, so we’ve decided not to include this option on our application.

The RHS journey sounds reasonable and possible for your daughter to do independently.
Centralperk

Post by Centralperk »

Hi there, not really answering your question but my daughter is exactly as you describe your daughter (minus the sport!) and she will be going to Rugby High as we live very close.

We know lots of girls who are currently at or who have left RHS. In fact, our neighbours daughter, who is now at Uni, zoomed my daughter for a long chat about it.

My daughter is very confident, loves drama & art and is also very academic.

I grew up in Stratford but didn’t go to SGGS, it did have a certain reputation but I think you get that with every school. Some of the girls in my daughters primary school are already like this!
Centralperk

Post by Centralperk »

RHS do their extra curricular clubs at lunchtime, I believe?
Vicksteroo

Post by Vicksteroo »

My daughter is very into art, drama and music and although they don't get so much of that at primary, she'll relish in the opportunities at RHS. We're really pleased that they hold their extra curriculars at lunchtime as my son has to miss out due to school buses (LSS activities are all after school). My daughter will be going to RHS in September (unless I mess up the admin... oh, the stress!).
Mamabear84

Post by Mamabear84 »

No insider info but I always feel like, with schools, you should go with your gut. You know your child best. With my son, we looked round various schools and the one that he went to just felt right to us. It felt like 'him'. He's really happy there.
rsparma

Post by rsparma »

Mamabear84 wrote:No insider info but I always feel like, with schools, you should go with your gut. You know your child best. With my son, we looked round various schools and the one that he went to just felt right to us. It felt like 'him'. He's really happy there.
Completely agree with this :)
Your intuition will give you a good indicator what’s right for your child.
We didn’t get an opportunity to visit LSS but have had some helpful feedback from members here.
Two of my friends daughters are very happy at RHS
Ejf

Post by Ejf »

WarksMum wrote:
Ejf wrote:Hi all, I would really appreciate some friendly advice as feeling really stuck regarding choice of Grammar school. I know it’s a lucky position to be in but as DD has been unhappy at her primary school we really want to get the choice right.

Hi. You didn’t mention your daughter’s score. Are you happy to share this info?

SGGS—what does the transport situation look like for you?

AGS—am I correct in thinking that you will drive your daughter to a bus stop 20 minutes away, then she’ll catch a bus? And that bus journey will be nearly an hour? Sustaining this for 7 years sounds pretty intense. Do you have work commitments that would interfere, or are you certain that your career obligations won’t be changing in the next 7 years? I have a child at AGS, and we made sure that the ability to get to/from the bus stop without us was possible. I’ve also done the reverse to you—considered grammar in Rugby for my current Y6, but the reality of doing the drive to catch a train or a bus just doesn’t seem realistic for us (especially in the coming years, when morning traffic is back at pre-Covid levels), plus committing to be there at the end of the day for collection, was too big of a commitment for us, so we’ve decided not to include this option on our application.

The RHS journey sounds reasonable and possible for your daughter to do independently.

Hi- yes sorry- daughters score was 224. You echo my concerns about the journey. Myself and my husband both did 1 hour bus journeys to school which we actually liked. A period of calm and relaxation before and after school. DD says she is happy with commute but it may limit availability to do activities after school although it is mainly just netball on Mondays.

I really like where I work but I have options like only working mornings or moving closer.

As a AGS parent are you happy with the school? Is your child happy? Any negatives?

Really appreciate your reply, thank you
Ejf

Post by Ejf »

Thank you to everyone who has replied. It’s so annoying that we can’t see RHS as DD May have liked that more. I wonder if when we get to see schools in Nov/Dec (hopefully!) and if our preference changes, the council would allow us to change our preferences on CAF? Although I very much doubt it!
WarksMum

Post by WarksMum »

Hi, yes, my eldest is happy at AGS. Teachers are great, good friendship groups, good clubs, etc. The only cons for us personally are the 1-hr bus journey, which is really draining, especially in the winter when it’s dark when they leave the house and dark when they get back in the evening. Another con is the boy/girl ratio is really skewed in some years (100:50 in some years), and we won’t know this until we’re already in the school and it’s too late to weigh whether or not this feels like a good fit. The current head teacher is retiring at Christmas, so time will tell if this is a pro or a con, as we really like the current head—it’s an unknown for us.

Well done on the 224–same score that my Y6 got! :D I must admit that 224 is a bit of a concern for me, because if AGS’ AQS jumps up by 4 points (like it did last year) it’ll be at 225, and we’ll be just under. :(