Transport to AGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
CEA100

Transport to AGS

Post by CEA100 »

My daughter has a place to start at AGS this September but we now seem to have hit a stumbling block with buses to AGS.

She'll be travelling from Callow Hill, Redditch but Warks CC have told me she won't be entitled to a place on the bus from Astwood Bank as we're Worcestershire residents. We can apply for a pass directly from the bus company but only if there are any left after Warks have allocated passes to resident children. It's apparently a popular bus though so we may not get one.

I've contacted the local bus companies but they have no services that arrive in Alcester at around 8.30 other than the one comissioned by Warks CC.

Is anyone else having similar difficulties or know of any possible solutions?!
teacher

Post by teacher »

I do sympathise. There were going to be great problems last year for children trying to get to KES and Shottery when we found out that the bus going through Banburyand local villages that went to these schools was going to stop. Our local MP became involved in the end. I see the councils' point of view in the sense that Warks was having to effectively subsidise bus carrying children coming from Oxon (cross county budgets etc.) but it would have meant huge problems for families trying to get to these schools. I think the issue is still on the back burner but has been 'dealt with' this year. The schools don't tend to get involved so there is little help there. MP time? Can you ask parents at Alcester now what they do now or ask the Head anyway what options are available? Good luck!
alcestermum

Post by alcestermum »

I know that there are definitely families that travel to AGS from Callow Hill & like you they have to either make their own way or pay. What I was thinking though, is that you could maybe put a notice in the local paper or on a local community notice board and see if you could find a solution to your transport problem!
CEA100

Post by CEA100 »

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the school seems (understandably) reluctant to get involved with transport issues although the open evening for parents is next month so they will hopefully be able to tell me how existng children travel in from outside Warwickshire. We're prepared to pay for the bus pass but need to be given a space on it first!

It's good to know there will be other children travelling in from the same area, even if they're experiencing similar difficulties!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now