Warwicks: New admissions policy??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Charlotte wrote:
But I thought you were going to move nearer to me. .

Post by Optimist »

Hi there

Section 39 in the first October 2008 Warks Decision notices states that the adjudicator has no legal powers to enforce the proposed changes in 2010. Some ray of hope I guess!!! :?
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

Optimist wrote:Hi there

Section 39 in the first October 2008 Warks Decision notices states that the adjudicator has no legal powers to enforce the proposed changes in 2010. Some ray of hope I guess!!! :?
Yes I saw that! I'm hoping some discussion of this may clarify things. The threshold system seems perhaps a compromise that may be fair. Am I right? I can see both points of view, but as has been mentioned, Northants raised this a couple of years ago; I remember it headlining in the local paper. I always thought children in Daventry had to get higher marks to get in to LSS and Rugby High anyway, due to the weighting system...which I thought favoured local children...
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

In answer to Rose Petal - the judgement does talk about other grammar schools in Warwickshire (presumably KES, Stratford Grammar and Alcester).

I imagine we won't escape in the Southern part of Warks if Rugby is compelled to change - presumably if they admit there's a problem then there must be an issue elsewhere too.

There are implications for those of us with children already at the schools. If, for example, they 'make it easier' for those closer to the school to get in, presumably fewer children will get in from outlying areas - so there will not be the demand for school buses and it could be more difficult for current students to get to school!

Isn't life complicated?!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

jacquie wrote:I always thought children in Daventry had to get higher marks to get in to LSS and Rugby High anyway, due to the weighting system...which I thought favoured local children...
Jacquie, there is no weighting system. Scores are standardised on age alone.
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

Charlotte67 wrote:
jacquie wrote:I always thought children in Daventry had to get higher marks to get in to LSS and Rugby High anyway, due to the weighting system...which I thought favoured local children...
Jacquie, there is no weighting system. Scores are standardised on age alone.
Ok then that must be the threshold system then???? that I am thinking of...? That must have been a rumour...or maybe it existed once , in the past, when I was a child....!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

I have heard people talk about weighting before but it is just a rumour, like the ones about 1,000s of out of priority area children sitting & getting places and children needing scores of 90%+ to get in...

Seems that some parents enjoying scaring themselves & each other!
sunnymummy

warwicks: new admission policy?

Post by sunnymummy »

Hi Jaquie. Yes, I think historically Warks used to have distance-weighting and also some sort of head's report as well. Obviously they've changed that (thank goodness; you can just imagine how open to subjectivity, prejudice, mistakes and abuse that could be.). This also means there's an historical precedent for changing the system and thus nothing to stop them changing it again.
Having had a look at the Bucks. thread, to get an idea of how a threshold system works, it seems this head's report lives on with an "order of suitability". This sounds like a bit of a nightmare. I really hope they don't introduce that in Warks.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Sunnymummy, Warks schools do provide an 'order of suitability' although I think it's called a ranking list (any teachers visiting this site may know better). This list is referred to, along with present school's comments and the essay, when assessing the 'boarderlines'.

This system has worked very well in my DD's year - A few children, who performed relatively poorly in the 11+, were assessed in. These children would have ranked highly on the school's list.
sunnymummy

warwicks: new admission policy?

Post by sunnymummy »

Sharlotte67 - this is a bit off-topic but I noticed you posted in the Bexley section. Did you used to be a South Londoner?