New Admissions Procedures - RHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

The trouble is, who wants to go to appeal?
She is going to move house.
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

Charlotte67 wrote:Ed's mum, I imagine this kind of case is likely to be considered sympathetically on appeal.
Do you? Hopefully. I know of several others! This is really going to be a can of worms, (or a hornet's nest )for the school/s.
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

Heard from a parent today that Lawrence Sherrif are going the opposite route and are going to challenge the Adjudicator's decision. If true Fabulous. :) Will post when I find out more. Letter was sent to parents apparently, end of term; her son ( one of my ex pupils) attends L.S.
Sassie'sDad

Changes to Admissions Policy (RHS)

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Hi to everyone and Happy New Year! (well no harm in trying) I think having toiled through all the postings the consensus is pretty close to the mark. My only surprise is that, in view of the monumental fudge originally made by Warks Ed Committee, it should really surprise us that a) there are still anomalies and b) there will still be significant minorities who can rightly call foul. I proved to my personal satisfaction just over two years ago that RHS finds the tail wagging the dog. This was over entry at year 12 when my eldest (who was accepted by Myton) mysteriously didn't appear in the system even though she had applied for RHS (and been interviewed and told she would be accepted if she got her expected grades) and received a very good clutch of GCSE results. The "child" didn't want to rock the boat but I simply carried things on as if she had an acceptance letter, RHS didn't challenge this. Looking back I feel vindicated. I wanted to move to Rugby for the sake of my youngest girl (no, I don't have money to buy into the area, I have moved to renting and sacrificed my personal security in my old age; preferring to give my daughters what I perceive as the best possible chance) and didn't think her sister had the balls to cope with Myton by public transport. The fault lies with Warks Ed Committee in my view. They haven't been too bothered with the consequences of their ill thought out admissions procedures and I bet they didn't talk to other bordering Counties / Education committees.
Dadof3

Post by Dadof3 »

Jacquie: My son is in LSS Y7 and did not receive or has any knowledge of a letter from the school regarding catchment areas. However, he was ill and did not attend on final day before Christmas!

I do know that RHS sent a letter to their pupils at the end of term.

In all honesty, I was slightly disappointed that LSS has not really communicated to parents on this issue. On the other hand they may be keeping their powder dry as they prepare for an appeal. This course of action would have my support.
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

I think the 'powder dry' approach is accurate. Sorry not time or knowledge to elaborate further than already shared...or be on here much now- this has caused a lot of extra work for me, informing and helping parents...... :) !
Dadof3

Post by Dadof3 »

For the sake of establishing some facts, I have attached the only communication to LSS parents regarding the potential catchment changes:

http://www.lawrencesheriffschool.com/in ... 12no14.pdf

This forum hosts a multitude of useful and helpful information regarding 11plus. However, as any forum it runs the risk of spreading rumour and gossip. This is a very big issue to a large number of families with siblings finding themselves potentially OOC. There are sufficient numbers of children living in the potential OOC 'South Warks' areas such as Stockton, Napton, Southam, Priors Hardwick, Priors Marsden and Long Itchington to allow bus companies to provide at least 3 commercial services (611/612/63) to compete for the amount of Rugby GS children living in S Warks. When you add in the Daventry area and all the other dwellings finding themselves OOC, the "sibling" issue is real for many families and I would ask that postings stick to the facts. I can appreciate that 'Rugby dwellers' may take a different view from me. However, I support the stance of Dr Kent in attached article and await further communication from him/LSS governors with interest.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Dadof3, I have said before that I have a great deal of sympathy for you and the many others in your position.

I haven't noticed any false information on these threads and would be grateful if you could point it out so that we are all aware of the true facts.

Re buses. No 63 has many stops along its route including Dunchurch and Kites Hardwick (in new catchment). No 64 does the same but includes Birdingbury (in catchment). Both buses also go to Ashlawn and Harris.

I have not heard of the 611 or 612 and can find no record of them on the web site.

Charlotte
Dadof3

Post by Dadof3 »

Charlotte67: Whooaa...I am not saying anything about your posts which I have found to be extremely helpful. By the way this is the first forum I have ever interacted with and I realise how ostings can be mis-construed.
I am a bloke, therefore I like facts! I was referring to postings such as:

"Lawrence Sherrif are going the opposite route and are [b]going to challenge[/b] the Adjudicator's decision" posted by Jacquie earlier in this thread. (I am 100% sure Jaquie is not intending to mislead as she is also very helpful with all other posts). I just posted the link from LSS to help clarify what I believe to be the facts as delivered by Dr Kent. As to the bus routes they are again posted as facts. Catterals (Southam based bus company) run 611 & 612 service thru South Warwickshire to the Rugby GS (RHS, LSS & Ashlawn). Yes some non GS pupils will use the service to go to Ashlawn Comp and possibly some other secondary schools in the rugby area but the service is advertised as the GS service and my son sat on one of the busses for every day of last term. He now gets an extra 30 mins in bed each morning and takes the 63 which he says is 50/50 GS pupils rom S Warks and ordinary Rugby/Leamington Spa commuters.

I have come to value this site and over the next few weeks I may even become a contributer to other threads. It is just that this potential OOC issue is a hot topic for us (to the extent that I have joined a Forum) as No2. son is in Y5 and keen to pursue GS and as parents we want to give our DC equal oportunity and would prefer not to uproot everyone to achieve this.
WP

Post by WP »

Item 8 on the Agenda for the 8th January meeting of the Warks cabinet contains a paper on Admissions to Rugby Selective Schools from the Strategic Director of Children, Young People and Families. (Minutes of this meeting are not yet available.) This proposes consultation on the new admissions arrangements already on the RHS admissions page, and says
The two grammar schools, who are their own Admission Authorities have indicated their support for the arrangements as set out below. The Area Committee also support the proposals.
It mentions that the issues raised by the adjudicator's decision also apply to the S Warks grammars, but there may not be time to make similar changes for the 2010 admissions round.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now