Headline in Rugby Times

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

fed up wrote:So - much the same as the Year 7 really. However, as WP says, the secondary modern/comprehensive "justification" for treating children in a neighbouring LEA less favourably will be difficult to apply here.
Why? I'm not meaning to be argumentative, I just don't understand why the comprehensive aspirations of Northamptonshire cease to be relevant after Y11.
fed up

Post by fed up »

WCCs rationale for effectively using the county boundary to differentiate which children will have priority when sitting the 11+ is that children in E warks only have access to secondary modern or grammar schools, while in Northants and S warks they have access to comprehensive education. (They seem to have forgotten all about Ashlawn)
They can't use the same distinction when talking about 6th forms as some schools have 6th forms (LSS, RHS, Ashlawn) and others don't (Bilton High, Harris, Danetre...)
It doesn't make sense to me either.
solimum

Post by solimum »

I haven't been following these issues in detail, but the difference between 6th form admissions and Yr 7 is huge - the pupils are far more mobile : many will be contemplating driving by Yr13 and a lot of lift-sharing can go on between yr13s & yr 12s. They are perhaps more able to contemplate train/ bus trips that might have seemed off-putting at age 10/11. Plus at 6th form there is a lot more importance given to the particular combinations of subjects available - if a school gives priority to existing Yr11 pupils the spaces available may be limited by (say) lab space in chemistry whereas there may be more room for new pupils in other subjects. Some smaller 6th forms have quite restricted combinations of subject available due to timetabling. This would make any blanket criteria difficult to organise, especially with the need to wait for GCSE results in August before finalising admissions. Finally, the pupils themselves are expected to take a far more active role in decisions about 6th form than most parents allow their 10 year olds....

Having gone to an 11-18 girls grammar myself I have been quite surprised by the amount of movement at 6th form locally, but most of the young people I have seen pass through the system seem to have thrived on a change of scene
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Surely the point about applying to RHS sixth form rather than another institution is that you have to be willing to abide by the rules of the institution.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that the school should give priority for the sixth form first to those who have come up through the school from initial entry in year 7.

The criterion used heretofore for those entering the school for the first time at sixth form is that predicted grades for GCSC should have been realised in the actual results (hollow laugh).

It seems the school will in future give precedence to those candidates living in the Eastern Area and again this seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Numbers in the sixth form are already roughly 60% from outside RHS. The relaxed dress code which is meant to indicate to pupils that their 'adult' status and greater personal responsibility is recognised by the school is frequently flouted by individuals. As a parent of a sixth former until recently, I can say that discipline is fairly relaxed but there have been appalling lapses especially on overseas trips. I live 1/4 mile away and usually see the girls arriving in the morning. I can tell you this is a truly comprehensive school at sixth form. Girls are smoking and using bad language in the street and a few of them dress in such a provocative and cheep way that they are clearly out to be subversive.

The teachers there have a real struggle to maintain standards with some pupils who clearly simply do not have the intention of working hard enough to do their intellectual ability (or their teachers) justice - I include my own dd in that group!

Whilst I am off message slightly as far as topic, I would like to praise RHS, particularly Mrs Watts, for their very professional and effective advice to girls regarding UCAS. Last year pupils at King Henry VIII who failed to get their predicted grades at A level and could not therefore take up their intended options were told to 'come back tomorrow'. At RHS they were given very sound advice to get on the phone and sell themselves, to make their best shot at the most appealing courses on offer.*

Last Summer I spent well in excess of £1000 to give my daughters and ex wife a comfortable week long holiday in South Devon. The weather did its level best to ruin it and so did my ex and eldest daughter who decamped half way through the week back to Warwickshire on the strength of 'the results are being published'. Truth was that they knew it was a gamble over catastrophe verses shamefully poor results and fire fighting was the order of the day: not sailing: nor being a family!

My dd was encouraged to do this* and it was sound advice. Although she got five A levels including Maths and Further Maths, her science subject grades were appalling, evidence she had not really worked over previous years.

I told her to get out in the real world and get a job of any sort, she needed to grow up and gain some maturity. I think that was the best advice. Of course she went for the soft option. Now, at Portsmouth she rises about 11.30am and hits the hay about 4am: life is just one big party!
JEM

Re: headline in rugby times

Post by JEM »

magwich2 wrote:It would be ok to get rid of grammar schools if you still had some kind of choice in order to ensure your child was not adversely affected by other nasty children.
Any ideas?
Perhaps we could have schools affiliated to a particular political party?
Perhaps we could have "middle class" schools or whatever other class school you might want your child to go to!
Maybe small schools or maybe schools which could junk the national curriculum.
I think what would make the biggest difference in keeping a school pleasant and effective (including current grammar schools) would be the requirement that the bottom 5% each year (chosen either by stupidity or attitude problem)had to be thrown out!

offensive remark removed by a moderator, please refrain from name calling.
magwich2

headline in rugby times

Post by magwich2 »

Why?
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

A gentle reminder:
Forum Rules wrote:Rule 1: Be Polite

This seems obvious, however, many can sometimes forget that common courtesy goes a long way to lending respect to both you and your opinions. Just because you don't see the other readers' faces doesn't mean they don't have feelings and won't be hurt by rude comments. When you read something that you find silly, rude or insulting, first assume that perhaps there is more to the post than you initially thought. Re-read it and keep in mind that tone and inflection is difficult to convey in written form. It may be that the person is attempting a joke or is exaggerating on purpose. It is best to politely request clarification before accusing someone being ignorant, a liar, or worse.

If after clarification you still disagree with the person then politely outline your points. Try to avoid name-calling or even implying insults wherever possible.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=148
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now