Just have a read if you are worried about 11+ failure at all

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaneEyre

Re: Just have a read if you are worried about 11+ failure at

Post by JaneEyre »

Besides congratulating LFH, I was going to write '+1' to a certain part of Suferfish's post :wink: , but indeed, the debate between pro-GS and anti-GS is never ending, so
well done to your DS as well as to you and your DH, LFH! :D
Wishing your son a wonderful time at Oxford in all aspects, be it rowing on the river Tames or having the joy of taking the bull by the horns to complete all his assignments in depth!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thank you JayneEyre - as a parent of children who went to both grammar and comprehensive schools, I can honestly say that I believe they all had really good secondary schooling.

I just really wanted our story to reach parents who are despondent that their children didn't pass, to help them realise that all isn't lost as it seemed to me at the time, all those years ago, when my son was 10.
KB

Post by KB »

And also worth remembering that while for master LFH it was academic success there will be others for whom 'success' will come in different ways.
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

Wow, what a wonderful story. Huge congratulations to your DC LFH- such an achievement.
Hope & Glory

Post by Hope & Glory »

Looking for help, Thank you so much for sharing your story over the years. I have only just registered on this forum as my daughter sits her 11plus next weekend & I realise that I am obsessing far too much about it. She has worked so hard since last October in preparation for the test & many have agreed with me that based on effort & perseverance she deserves a place at our local (walking distance & nearest secondary) grammar. However, what will be will be & I know there are many examples such as your son's. I am sure that my daughter will do well whichever secondary school she attends. Honestly, thank you so much. I am now about 100 times more relaxed about the outcome & so I just had to register to reply & say thank you.
Hope & Glory

Post by Hope & Glory »

Huge congratulations to your son too! :D
ChillaxMom

Post by ChillaxMom »

Looking for help wrote:I wasn't going to post an update on my son, as I worried it sounded boastful, but my husband said I must, in order to say to people whose children did not pass 11+ exams, that academic achievement is not outwith their grasp.
So here I am, the proud mother of a boy whose story is in this thread, and who has now received his IB results and with it his confirmed place at Oxford university this autumn.

I'd say to all of you whose poor children have missed by a couple of marks, just help them as best you can and let them flourish, the world really is their oyster
-------------------------
Oh this is just what I wanted to read in the week which will bring us the results! @LFH - A big sincere thank you for posting this (and to your husband for insisting that you do!) Heartiest Congratulations to you and DS!

My husband and I had a good long discussion today about education and the role that schools play in and beyond education. I acknowledge the benefits that a grammar school promises to bring and the difficulty which a not-great-performing comprehensive might pose (which is the case for our local comprehensive); but I wouldn't be surprised if the equation is reversed at times! After spending some anxious weeks waiting for the results, I now find myself surprisingly calm as the D-day is closer…

If the result is in his favour, nothing like it! If it is not in his favour, then all that we can do as parents is to support him through his secondary so that eventually this result will turn in his favour! As his parents, we need to feel confident and give him the assurance that at the end of the day it is his hard-work and talent which will matter for a University place – GS or otherwise! And as a family, we have to work as a team to help him realize his potential… Your story will be an inspiration for us in our secondary journey….Thanks for sharing!