Degree query

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

RedVelvet

Re: Degree query

Post by RedVelvet »

DC17C wrote:Any tips on helping a young person who wants to specialize in aerospace or space engineering? ..we have got as far as working out maths, further maths, and physics a levels are the way ahead...any particular universities worth looking at in southern half of UK? DS ‘s wish list is Cambridge, Bristol or Warwick...not sure where he has his list from...
Slightly off topic, sorry, but if you haven't already take a look at the summer Space School at Leicester Uni. My son had a fantastic time last year and is heading off again this summer.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Thank you..he had applied for work experience with Airbus but that sounds like an excellent idea...thank you
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Also this one at university of Kent -http://astro.kent.ac.uk/mds/Spaceschool/index.html. My son went a few years ago and had a good time.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Back to the OQ, the rising percentage of firsts is of concern I think. Some universities dish out almost half of their degrees as firsts, while at others it is fewer than 15% (I know this because where my daughter is it is one of the lowest and she is beginning to feel threatened by it). While there is of course an unspoken hierarchy, it still galls me a little to hear of people getting firsts when I know that they haven't reached the standards they would have to in other universities to get even a 2(II). I imagine most employers do know, but I think the lack of comparability is a problem. I say this as someone who teaches on masters courses and see a lot of graduates, so I am not just being bitter and twisted.

I also know that - how to put this without losing my job? - there are many students who are very needy in terms of input, cannot work or think independently and expect, even demand, huge amounts of support from staff. They often end up with a decent grade because only the final work is marked. Students who don't get what they deem to be appropriate support can, and do, complain and to be honest the pay for offering this level of support is really dreadful, as is the stress of constantly getting emails, often at night, from students demand immediate input on something they really ought to be able to think through for themselves. Staff are put under increasing pressure not to fail students, and funding of universities is increasingly dependent upon performance in more of the wretched league tables - many of which includes student satisfaction as a marking factor, maybe even the top one. It goes without saying that students who get high marks and/or massive amounts of support from staff are likely to be more satisfied than those who don't . We are grateful that top marketeer Toby Young at least is out of the picture (for many reasons) but his role, to increase the marketisation of universities, will still exist and in my view will be one of the final nails in the coffin of ensuring that high quality graduates leave university.

Anyway, sorry, that is kind of off topic, but my advice to prospective undergraduates now is the same as it has been for a long time, only stronger. Take at least one year out between school and university to get some life experience, and think very carefully, and honestly, about what you want to achieve by going to university. You don't have to go; and you certainly don't have to go now. Three years is a very short time and you want to be sure that the debt you are going to take on will be worth the rewards. If you are absolutely 100% certain about the course and the destination you want to pursue, then you have nothing at all to lose by waiting a year. And if you aren't (after all, 17 is very young to decide), then you absolutely should not apply until you are. Get a job, learn a bit about life, travel if you like, and give yourself time. You hopefully have a lot of it ahead of you and a long time to regret wrong decisions.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

2childmum wrote:Also this one at university of Kent -http://astro.kent.ac.uk/mds/Spaceschool/index.html. My son went a few years ago and had a good time.
He likes the look of both...thank you so much...
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Amber wrote:Anyway, sorry, that is kind of off topic, but my advice to prospective undergraduates now is the same as it has been for a long time, only stronger. Take at least one year out between school and university to get some life experience, and think very carefully, and honestly, about what you want to achieve by going to university. You don't have to go; and you certainly don't have to go now. Three years is a very short time and you want to be sure that the debt you are going to take on will be worth the rewards. If you are absolutely 100% certain about the course and the destination you want to pursue, then you have nothing at all to lose by waiting a year. And if you aren't (after all, 17 is very young to decide), then you absolutely should not apply until you are. Get a job, learn a bit about life, travel if you like, and give yourself time. You hopefully have a lot of it ahead of you and a long time to regret wrong decisions.
Good general advice Amber, but I'm just wondering how the timing of university applications would work for someone who's unsure and decides to take a year out?

If they take a year out to gain some life experience and think about what they want to do, maybe travel/work abroad, then presumably they wouldn't start applying for university until the autumn of the following year which would effectively mean a 2 year gap wouldn't it? Or is it better to apply during the year out so that they have something in place for the end of that year and then would they be able to change their mind later?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Surferfish wrote:Good general advice Amber, but I'm just wondering how the timing of university applications would work for someone who's unsure and decides to take a year out?
Well firstly I would say that if they are unsure, then that is all the more reason to take a year out.

In my own family it worked like this: DC1 took first gap year, applied to university and got a place. During that year realised this was not the thing she wanted to do. Other factors also intervened (health-related) and the bottom line was a very last minute change of heart, an extra late A level (self studied) and a second lot of applications for an entirely different subject. Two gap years in short - during which she also gained masses of life experience, a prestigious teaching qualification and more confidence in her choices.

DC2 is on a gap year now, decided on results day that he could aim high; did so and now has a place to study at somewhere he wouldn't have had confidence to apply to if he had applied pre A levels. Firmed up the subject choice through reading and discussions with teachers after results were out and is totally sure now of his preferred path. If he hadn't been, he would have taken the second gap year too (he is working).

You have till October (which isn't long) to apply for Med and Oxbridge; till January for the rest. But that is still a whole year more than you have if you apply from Y13. The final year of study at school can change a lot, as can results. One of my DC's friends got A*A*A* at A level and had a firm place at a 'new' university to study a 'new' subject, anticipating much lower grades. He has gone, but if he had known...I do wonder if there will be regrets ever.

They are still terribly young remember, younger than in most countries when they go to university. Many more are taking years out. The number of dropouts is rising all the time and while I have not seen figures, I imagine the rate would be highest in those going straight from school into courses they were unsure about.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now