Internet addiction

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mike1880

Re: Internet addiction

Post by mike1880 »

You could try Giffgaff:

https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had our son on the £5 goody bag with home use controlled by timeslots on the router for similar reasons. But tbh you're trying to push water uphill.
um

Post by um »

I've been through very much the same issue.

In 2014, I had a very stressful time with work, including very long hours, and the rules in the house went to pieces.
My children were on the internet/playing games/watching youtube day and night.
I tried everything, even to the point of taking the router and keeping it in my bag when I went out.
I would return to find them all on the computer, as child 2 had found ways to somehow get another internet connection :roll:
I can't tell you the worry that I had over my eldest in particular.
In the end after playing something in the region of 40 hours of internet games per week and having lowish predicted grades, he gained high A levels and is now studying Medicine.
He then abruptly matured, stopped playing games completely last summer and doesn't even play them any more!

Children have no idea of the worry we parents go through on their behalf :|
mystery

Post by mystery »

OP I hope you get the situation back to how you would like it to be. I am addicted to Duolingo at the moment.

I find with one of my children that picking up the p hone and doing online windowshopping for a birthday or Christmas list, etc has, as time has gone by, become her default "relaxation setting" and soaks up more and more time. It drives me mad. Whereas the other one reads, bakes, does crafts etc in these gaps. I prefer the latter habits because, as a child, my default setting was reading or playing an instrument. However, like anything, even the internet window shopping has led to her learning various facts and skills ... and who knows, maybe her future career will be as an online window-dresser of some sort.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

OP I feel your pain! It can seem that more traditional non screen pursuits have gone out of the window, and indeed DS given the chance would choose gaming over pretty much any other indoor activity.
I made an error of judgment in allowing him to build his own gaming computer which is much better than any built one he could have bought for the same money, and he bought a games console second hand the following year. Its heartening to read from those with older DC that most seem to grow out of it, unfortunately I was completely freaked out by a talk at DS’s school by a parenting “guru” saying too much screen time is adversely affecting the developing teen brain. In the end the position we have reached is to make sure DS plays as much sport as he wants to at school and outside. Normal rules are all screens off (unless needed for ongoing homework or work) at about 9pm (except TV, DH’s poison) and charging in the kitchen overnight. So some nights DS can game for an hour, less other days and weekends longer. The positive is that he is playing virtually with friends from school or outside, so there is a social aspect (although they do shout at one another :roll: )! The negative is that we all hear it and I can’t bear it! Phones retrieved after breakfast as they leave for school. When they return home after school/activities no screens until all homework is done and table laid, help given with dinner etc and certainly not at the table of course! This wasn’t easily done with DS, still has to be closely monitored in some regards, but as with all things its amazing how if you are consistent eventually they accept that this is how it is. Having read this thread I think I will relax a bit, it seems like its just another stage.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now