Perspectives on girls' clothing?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anotherdad

Re: Perspectives on girls' clothing?

Post by anotherdad »

Has no one asked Boris Johnson's opinion? I'm sure he'd have some interesting perspectives on ladies' clothes.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

anotherdad wrote:Has no one asked Boris Johnson's opinion? I'm sure he'd have some interesting perspectives on ladies' clothes.
:lol: :roll:
My DCs' school supposedly has a rule on skirt length which is never properly imposed. So every year parents of new sixth former shell out for sober, long skirts & every year they are quickly cast aside. This results in many of the girls looking as though they are heading to a nightclub, while the boys look reasonably smart in their (often cheap & shiny) suits. One school I know of had a rule which said something along the lines of "extremes of style or fit will not be tolerated". Very open to interpretation.
Personally I think that smart uniform in 6th form is nonsense. I understand the reasons why, but they (or at least the boys) are required to be smarter than most people are in an office these days & many of them will never wear a suit again, particularly not at university!

ETA: I've just looked at the policy for girls for our school:
Girls must wear a suit or a dress and jacket. This should consist of an appropriate dress and jacket or a blouse, shirt or tailored top and suit trousers or skirt.

• Skirts and dresses should be of a length near or below the knee. No lycra should be worn.Girls must wear a suit or a dress and jacket. This should consist of an appropriate dress and jacket or a blouse, shirt or tailored top and suit trousers or skirt.

• Skirts and dresses should be of a length near or below the knee. No lycra should be worn.
Quite well worded & you would think unambiguous. If you walked round the school you would not guess that this was the rule! Every year they say there will be a crackdown...
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

This thread makes me realise just how easy it is for boys. After black trousers and blazer ds go into dark grey suits for yr11. Cheap and washable are my main stipulations.

Our only problem came when DS1 had to get his suit at M&S and complained it "looks like something dad would wear" - the ultimate insult. Luckily DS2 is a more standard size and can get his anywhere. From September its a navy or grey suit and a 6th form tie - so easy.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
KS10

Post by KS10 »

There is definitely a feeling that the boys are smarter than the girls.

I just hope the skirt length thing is enforced if only to justify the hassle and lack of harmony each time we discuss the issue or try to buy something.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

KS10 wrote:There is definitely a feeling that the boys are smarter than the girls.

I just hope the skirt length thing is enforced if only to justify the hassle and lack of harmony each time we discuss the issue or try to buy something.
I agree, it causes conflict & then if it's not enforced you are the bad guy. "Muuuum, noone wears skirts that length".
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

A very well thought-of grammar school here had to clamp down a few years ago as (and I quote a member of staff, albeit off the record) some of the girls were coming in looking like hookers, and the boys didn't know where to look. Interestingly it was the parents of some of the girls who complained loudest at this change of policy, citing their daughters' rights to self-expression as well as the considerable costs already incurred in shelling out for actually rather tiny bits of material. My friend who had a son there at the time expressed huge relief at the clampdown, and my own DD similar, as she has never been one for displaying her underwear when she is meant to be dressed. The sixth form girls at my sons' school are forced to wear unpleasant uniform - longish skirts or trousers with a regulation blouse - but I suppose it does stop it degenerating into some kind of peep show.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Personally I think that smart uniform in 6th form is nonsense. I understand the reasons why, but they (or at least the boys) are required to be smarter than most people are in an office these days & many of them will never wear a suit again, particularly not at university!
About half the men (of all age ranges) in our office don’t wear ties, including DH. Most don’t wear a jacket, very few wear an actual suit. DH rants and complains when he has a meeting with prospective clients and gets told to wear a jacket. He does under protest, walks into the meeting room and promptly takes it off.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now