Article about designer coats being banned

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Justinterested

Re: Article about designer coats being banned

Post by Justinterested »

It should all be treated like junk food and kept away from schools. It is a total distraction and children should be encouraged to improve their skills and abilities rather than try to compensate for lack of them by wearing designer gear .You cant put wearing a designer coat in Yr 9 on UCAS form or CV !
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I think the whole thing is silly! There was no need for the school to single out any particular items, introduce ‘victims’ or attribute blame. A blanket ban on expensive items in school is perfectly reasonable policy and would not have caused a furore.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Amber wrote:
loobylou wrote:Maybe I'm just fortunate with my friends and colleagues. I really don't know anyone like this.
My ds had a friend who genuinely got everything he wanted (and it did cause a lot of jealousy for ds when he was younger) but even that family had some boundaries. Although ds does now recognise - and openly admits - that that child has a sense of entitlement that none of his other peers have and which means he doesn't persevere or try as hard when things don't come easily.
So you do know someone!

I think the sense of entitlement and lack of perseverance are totally linked to indulgent parenting. Correlation in this case does imply causation. I hope there are enough non-indulgent parents around to ensure that our children find partners, if partners they seek, who don't expect to stamp their feet and get their own way over everything.
Yes o suppose I do! I was thinking of personal friend rather than friends of the children.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Teenagers wear coats? Well, who knew ...
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Sally-Anne wrote:Teenagers wear coats? Well, who knew ...
Mine wears coats, hats, scarves, berets and has just asked for more fluffy socks for Christmas. She must be one of those that actually feel the cold.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I’m with you, SA....!! Coats are an unknown entity in this house - although they are happy to wear training jackets on the warm up pitch - and trample all over them as they run on to play...!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Ive got one that wraps up at the least sniff of cooler weather....scarf, bobble hat and gloves etc and one that goes out with short sleeves shirt and his suit winter or summer...
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Ive got one that wraps up at the least sniff of cooler weather....scarf, bobble hat and gloves etc and one that goes out with short sleeves shirt and his suit winter or summer...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now