How to get Certificate of UK residence for EU traineeship???

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BucksBornNBred

Re: How to get Certificate of UK residence for EU traineeshi

Post by BucksBornNBred »

hermanmunster wrote:
BucksBornNBred wrote:I am not trying (and don't want) to re-ignite any previous debates but I am curious ... I thought being part of the EU meant freedom of movement and, excuse my ignorance, I had assumed that meant easy freedom of movement too but this situation seems really complicated.

I think it is all relative - each country has its own rules etc - if you go to live in say Germany for a relatively short time , you have to have to register with the local authorities / police - it means a trip to the town hall an many forms - passport / details of address etc - you are then given a chit and need this to do just about anything else while you are there.

DS struggled with them as there was a need to state which city / town issued his passport - when in the UK it is the IPS not a city / town. This seemed to be alien to them, in the end they put IPS and that seem to work

If the traineeship is based in a place that has this sort of residency system then they just won;t understand that we don't have similar
Thank you HM. I didn't know that and assumed it was all easy and free-flowing (but I should have known better :lol: )
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

BucksBornNBred wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:
BucksBornNBred wrote:I am not trying (and don't want) to re-ignite any previous debates but I am curious ... I thought being part of the EU meant freedom of movement and, excuse my ignorance, I had assumed that meant easy freedom of movement too but this situation seems really complicated.

I think it is all relative - each country has its own rules etc - if you go to live in say Germany for a relatively short time , you have to have to register with the local authorities / police - it means a trip to the town hall an many forms - passport / details of address etc - you are then given a chit and need this to do just about anything else while you are there.

DS struggled with them as there was a need to state which city / town issued his passport - when in the UK it is the IPS not a city / town. This seemed to be alien to them, in the end they put IPS and that seem to work

If the traineeship is based in a place that has this sort of residency system then they just won;t understand that we don't have similar
Thank you HM. I didn't know that and assumed it was all easy and free-flowing (but I should have known better :lol: )
Actually just read what I have written - it isn't just for visitors to the country - it is for the locals too, the department who manage this can get quite busy and can take a while to get an appointment
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

hermanmunster wrote:Actually just read what I have written - it isn't just for visitors to the country - it is for the locals too, the department who manage this can get quite busy and can take a while to get an appointment
Ahhh yes, that rings a bell - seem to remember lots of stories about people buying properties in Spain(?) and having to jump through lots of bureaucratic hoops. Thank you.
Y

Post by Y »

No new news from the EU traineeship people since I last logged in, but DD has received the following letter from HMRC:

Dear Miss X

Thank you for your request dated .... for certificate of residence.

A certificate of residence is verification to say that the individual is resident in the UK for UK tax purposes. It is required for proof of British Citizenship for an overseas country. They are usually provided for foreign tax authorities so that the individual can make a claim to the foreign authority for tax relieve under a Double Taxation Agreement. The UK residence is certified by signing /stamping the relevant dedicated form provided by the foreign authority. In the absence of a dedicated form we provide a Certificate of Residence letter.

Please apply to the Home office.

Yours ....

Make of that what you will. I'm not sure what the rather bald instruction to apply to the Home Office means - presumably, we can't supply what you have asked for, so ask the Home Office. DD won't be pursuing the Home Office option, as the EU people have already said that the voter registration certificate is sufficient, but I thought you might all be interested to hear the latest!
Y

Post by Y »

Just thought you might like to know that DD got an offer (yesterday) with a start date of March 1st. Pretty tight to to give a month's notice at work (where she hopes to return at the end of the traineeship) and organise everything for living in Luxembourg for five months! Anybody know anyone who might want a very well-behaved lodger near to the European Parliament?
Y

Post by Y »

Apparently my well-behaved daughter is a trouble maker. The landlord threatened to evict her because she placed a bottle of spray cleaner and a sponge in the bathroom, and a plastic colander and jug (for communal use) in the communal area of the kitchen. She also had the audacity to move his 'decorative' books from a shelf and put spices on it for communal use. It seems everyone in Luxembourg has a mad landlord story, but this one takes the biscuit. (And no, she's not a lodger. This is a shared flat!)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

:shock: