Forcing Children to wear Face Masks in Class

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: Forcing Children to wear Face Masks in Class

Post by scary mum »

KS10 wrote:I have to wear a visor sometimes and it gives me a headache. I do swap between visor and mask in school when it feels like one is getting a bit too much.

I do wonder how often the masks get washed though. I did see one of them put on a mask that they’d left in school for a few days.
"Quarantined" you mean :roll:
I did have to insist on extracting DS2's from his various pockets for washing when he came home at Christmas, although I did quarantine them for a couple of weeks as he'd had Covid-19!
scary mum
Nella

Post by Nella »

Stimela wrote:
Yes surgical staff have to wear medical grade masks when in the Operating Theatre but they are adults and are they Operating 7 hours a day 5 days a week? Before this all started Hospital staff didn't wear masks in the corridors, in the consulting rooms, at their desks or in the wards.

You say it isn't going to do any harm but how do you know that? Like it or not we are conducting a medical experiment on our children to see the damage that wearing masks for long periods will make on their physical and mental health. The results of that experiment will be out in a few years time. Let's hope for the best.
I wear a mask for my 12 hr shifts. Yes it was strange to wear one to start off with but I soon got used to it. And yes to your other point - in the operating theatre department they are more likely to wear a mask for longer than 7 hrs 5 days a week!

Regarding visors- if they’re worn without a mask they don’t offer protection either way!
Stimela

Post by Stimela »

Nella wrote:
I wear a mask for my 12 hr shifts. Yes it was strange to wear one to start off with but I soon got used to it. And yes to your other point - in the operating theatre department they are more likely to wear a mask for longer than 7 hrs 5 days a week!

Regarding visors- if they’re worn without a mask they don’t offer protection either way!
That sounds horrendous and yet as I understand it, Coronavirus is still spreading in hospitals so I'm not quite sure if the masks are doing that much good?

As to whether masks do more harm than benefit then the jury is still out. No doubt there are people who say that they smoke 40 fags a day and it hasn't done them any harm!

You miss my main point however. You are an adult and get to choose whether to wear a mask having weighed up the risks and benefits (one of which may be keeping your job). We are forcing this on children and not really giving them a choice. Also children are much more sensitive to these health risks because their bodies are still developing. That is the reason why, for instance, we restrict children from heading footballs too much when there is no restriction on adults.

I repeat therefore that this is an experiment on children and one which we may regret in years to come.
mad?

Post by mad? »

What would be your solution Stimela?
mad?
Stimela

Post by Stimela »

mad? wrote:What would be your solution Stimela?
Err - How about allowing children to breathe properly at school without spending all day wearing face masks.

I know. Pretty radical eh?