Veiled teacher: Would your child be comfortable?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Herts Parent

Veiled teacher: Would your child be comfortable?

Post by Herts Parent »

Looking the pics in the Sunday press and news and recalling my school days I think that full facial contact (face reading) is critical to teaching. Turning the tables if all the children turned up in veils where would that leave the teacher?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Very good point. Thanks

Post by Guest »

yes well said! am in argeement , the children should be able to see the teacher!FACIAL EXPRESSIONS COUNT A LOT!!!

Post by Guest »

If schools have an accepted dress code for teachers and teachers were upfront and honest at interview this situation would never have occurred.
jah

Post by jah »

My three children have all suffered from Glue Ear and reduced hearing levels at one time or another. My eldest daughter has relied heavily on lip-reading in the past (though hearing fine now after several operations!) My daughter is very bright (in yr 10 at a Grammar School) and when she couldn't hear would do her own thing in class!

It is very difficult to get teaching staff to take Glue Ear seriously; as they used to say that she could hear if she wanted to. Rubbish! She could lip-read if she knew there was something to listen to!! A veiled teacher would have been hopeless.

Post by Guest »

The fact that this case was ever brought to court is a symptom of our country's inability to stand-up for common sense. How can a veiled 'teacher' praise or celebrate a child's efforts through such limited expression? The real casualty will, once again, be other Muslims as schools will now think twice before employing female Muslim colleagues for fear of having such a bizarre situation thrust upon them.
Sandra
Here Here

Don't expect children to suddenly become Darren Browne

Post by Here Here »

Don't expect children to become Darren Browne and start reading the teacher's eyes for praise and recognition!

Really, how would you know if it was the same teacher who came to teach after the unveiled interview. You could have one person attending interviews and some other woman attending classes for all you know coming in to teach.

It's a question of honesty. If you wish to practice your religion in another country then by all means do, but choose an appropriate career that does not damage the prospects of children (of all faiths - I understand from the papers that this was a Church of England School with a veiled Muslin teacher).
juliette

veil!!!

Post by juliette »

Good points in the postings. A teacher should be recognisable to primary school children,as facial expressions are important,especially at such a young age. Having said that,i have a friend who is a muslim,and wears the veil,she has had no problems whatsoever. She works in a senior school,and is highly regarded. She is a very good teacher. I think that is more important than worrying about a veil. I think the media are making a meal out of the current issues surrounding the veil. And the current fears being fed to us. I would agree that it would not be suitable to wear the veil in a primary school. But we must remember,we need to find a comfortable balance. :wink:
katel

Post by katel »

So a blind child cannot recognise when she is being praised or recognized?

How do children in countries where all female teachers are veiled manage?
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

So a blind child cannot recognise when she is being praised or recognized?
I find this highly offensive.

A blind child, unfortunately, does not have a choice!
How do children in countries where all female teachers are veiled manage?
And my children are not blind, And do not live in another country.

BW
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now