Meningitis

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi all

Sorry Ed's mum to hear about this ... have dealt with quite a few of these dilemmas over the years and know that it is always worrying for people involved.

The risk to other children depends on whether it is a probable or confirmed case and also to a lesser extent the bacteria (assuming it is bacterial and not viral) causing the illness. This can be Men A, B, C + others or Hib or strep pneumoniae.

if it is proven to be bacterial basically the contact risk is much the same - close contacts ie family (living in the same house / kissing contacts / stayiong overnight in the same house in the last seven days) are at increased risk of not only being infected but also carrying the potent bacteria in the first place (lots of us carry these bacteria ll the time they are just not particulalry nasty).

these specific contacts of cases are treated with antibiotics. There are considerable problems if too many people are treated as some of the more protective bacteria are killed off and make people more prone to getting the disease. Getting the balance right is the problem.

If there is more than one related case ie same form at school within 4 weeks then the treatment of contacts is different - fortunately this is rare.

Hopefully the child in this case will recover and be back at school soon. The bottom line is that if the child is in a different year group and it is just the one case then there is no greater risk to otherh children than normal eg going swimming / going to a party etc.

Love Herman
lion63

Post by lion63 »

Meningitis is a killer disease, very easily spread.

Stagnant water is a source of parasitic Amoebic meningitis which is different to bacterial and viral meningitis.

http://www.meningitis.com.au/disease_in ... ases.phtml

It is not confirmed the poor girl has meningitis but the school should take medical advice and not expose its students to any medical risks.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thank you Herman! I love this forum. Where else can you post about pretty much anything and be guaranteed such informed replies?

Yes, currently it is PROBABLE meningitis. My heart goes out to her poor family who must be worrying so much at the moment.

Is a swimming pool an increased risk then?

I really appreciate the effort that everyone has made to help me. Thank you everyone. x
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

aaah, so my mosquitos can buzz off then!!

Hope the young lady recovers quickly and no-one else catches it.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Thankyou Herman, I have been anticipating your words of wisdom on the subject.

Thanks for Clarifying!
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Ambridge wrote:DS was extremely ill and on a life support machine for many weeks
Fortunately, DS surprised everyone by pulling through it
RESPECT to Ambridge & Ambridge's DS! Puts these exam things into a bit of perspective doesn't it!

:lol:

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Totally agree SVE!!!
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Fortunately, for all of us, it's history now - DS too young to remember it and funny, because it was such a dreadful time I can convince myself, on a day to day basis, that it never happened to us - the brain is kind the way it works sometimes :lol: (or is this early dementia raising its head!).

Fingers crossed for the little girl in question, along with access to fabulous UK hospital care, it seems this condition is a lottery as to who gets through it unscathed and who doesn't.

Ambridge
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

lion63 wrote:Meningitis is a killer disease, very easily spread.

Stagnant water is a source of parasitic Amoebic meningitis which is different to bacterial and viral meningitis.

http://www.meningitis.com.au/disease_in ... ases.phtml

It is not confirmed the poor girl has meningitis but the school should take medical advice and not expose its students to any medical risks.
Fortunately amoebic menigitis not common in the UK ... in fact can't remember seeing one, think the weather is just not warm enough (wish it was though...).

Glad to hear Ambridge DS recovered, always impressed how parents cope when this happens - it is though some extra strength takes over to help them to cope - though I am sure it hits them later.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

Fortunately amoebic menigitis not common in the UK ...
Thankfully so.

In fact, there would be a myriad of differential diagnoses for the fever symptoms that crop up in so many illnesses - glandular fever being one of the teenage ones to look out for.

The hospital would have carried out their battery of tests so hopefully, a confirmed diagnosis soon as to the illness and the right treatment administered with an uneventful recovery secured for the patient.