Primary pupils 'need sex lessons'

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

jah wrote:An interesting piece in the news this week was comparing the amount of time teenagers spent with their friends with that spent with their families. Our teenagers are being influenced too much by peer pressure, and in many sections of society parents are losing the plot.

When I collect my 10 year old from Cubs at 8:30pm, there are always teenagers hanging around outside the hall. My 14 year old is at home doing homework, music practice, or reading. Don't these other youngsters have anything better to do? Do their parents know where they are?
I ask myself that same question every time I also see youngsters hanging around in the streets with obviously no where to go. My thirteen year old thinks that is just a waste of time. If he's out with his friends he has to be out for a purpose, such as a trip to the cinema, bmx/skate park, football etc. In fact, he's usually too busy to be "hanging around" doing nothing!!
SJ

Post by SJ »

I spoke to a friend today who told me that her 10yr old son, who is a close friend of my sons and spends a lot of time with us as a family(holidays included), had had his head smashed against a fence twice, punched in the face and then kicked in the stomach. He, being a strong boy both physically and emotionally, actually dealt with it very well and laughed at his attacker and ran away. His attacker is also 10 and has been in the same class at school with her son since they started school. I know both boys very well as my son also used to go to the same school and was in the same class until very recently.

It then transpired that my friend received a phone call from another child telling her what had happened and that her son had run from the seen, but that the other boy was looking for him and he had a knife. She obviously went out looking for her son, but met up with the other boy before catching up with her son. I think she handled it better than I would have done in the circumstances and basically told the boy that if he had problems with her son, that fighting was not the answer and to calm down and sorting out was the best way to go.

The following day she had a word with the teacher of the boys, basically just advising that there had been a problem, she was not sure what had caused it, but she would appreciate it if they could keep their eyes open for anything and keep them apart for a short while until they had managed to sort themselves out.

It then transpires that the "attacker" was suspended for a week because he had taken the knife into school that day, for what reason we are unsure but that he had taken it in intentionally and he had said that he was going to "hurt" someone.

This child is 10. What on earth is going on! My friends son is okay about it all, but I am not so sure that I feel that calm about it and it is not my son that was involved.

They not only need lessons on gender, they need much much more than that. I am horrified that children are having to face this sort of thing in primary school, let alone anywhere else.
jah

Post by jah »

Best Wishes to your friend and her son and family. They have obviously had a very scary time recently. Well Done to them for handling it well; I hope there are no further repercussions.

Post by Guest »

To all the 40 year olds that knew parental input is of vital importance check out the bbc news education section. There is an interesting article called 'sex education only does so much' which points out that despite attempts to change sex education from conventional format to all singing and dancing enhanced format teenage pregnancy rates have not fallen!!

One of the leads in this research has suggested that economic circumstances largely determine the likelyhood of teenage pregnancy and
parents should be more involved in providing guidance to their children.

I think the researcher must have drawn her conclusions from reading postings in this forum!!!!!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now