Are The Authorities Getting Tougher?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I know you weren't :) but there needs to be some deterrent - whatever it may be. :?
sj355

Post by sj355 »

FirstTimeBuyer wrote:
zee wrote:
SunlampVexesEel wrote:Of the people I know who applied to Bucks this year; 100% of them moved to rent in the catchment this year whilst letting out their existing home! ...But I only know 1!
Of course that's not always cheating. They may genuinely intend to live in Bucks and in catchment long term, but not have been able to sell their old place?

We're near the Herts/Bucks border and lived in Herts, where our DC were at prep, which goes up to age 13. When we wanted to give eldest a shot at 11+ we rented over the border in Bucks. However, we first sold our house in Herts, and the reason we rented was because we wanted to know whether he'd get in or not before buying another house, i.e. when we knew if we'd be paying school fees for him long term and hence how much to spend. We duly bought in Bucks and intend to stay.
It's positively angelic behaviour compared with the Chancellor of the Exchequer re/designating his house three times to get free repair work, and claiming back his stamp duty! :roll: :lol: :lol:
No to mention the behaviour of the former chief executive of the bank that she works for!
sj355
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I actually feel genuinely sorry for anyone who finds themselves so desperate for their child to receive a good education that they have to consider being fraudulent.

I'm not saying that I agree with breaking the law/deceit etc but just imagine the mindset one would need to be in to get to that point...

I would not want MY child's rightful place taken by someone without the right, of course not. However, there are some people who perhaps lose out on good schools because they cannot afford a property in a particular catchment. That doesn't seem fair either.

I'm not trying to stir up a row with anyone, just pondering the lack of equality regarding provision of education. This particular woman's motives I cannot comment on.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I totally agree with you Ed's mum although this woman is now spending 6k+ sending her boys to a private school so I think she was trying to s**w the system. Still, it should not be the case that some schools can be so different in the same area.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8130541.stm

Did anyone hear Ms Patel on the wireless this morning? She said that she'd only lived at her mother's address for "four or five weeks" (she couldn't remember which), but admitted (after it was brought up by a council representative) that she'd stated on the Schools Admissions Form that she'd lived there for 14 years :shock: ! Guilty as Eve, and absolutely unrepentant, she continued to wriggle and squirm.

The man from the council was so much more pleasant and believable, stating that the really sad thing to come out of this case is that due to a loophole in the Fraud Act there really is no sanction available to stop people like Ms Patel doing this in future :evil: .

Does anyone know which school her C goes to now? One to be avoided!
Loopy
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Yes she sends DS to a feeder school for Harrow School :roll: called Quainton Hall.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

Loopyloulou wrote:Does anyone know which school her C goes to now? One to be avoided!
T.i.p.s.y wrote:Yes she sends DS to a feeder school for Harrow School :roll: called Quainton Hall.
Excuse me, but what is the point of naming and castigating a school that has nothing to do with said woman's actions?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Catigate means: to find fault or reprimand

At what point did I criticise the school, please explain? I was implying that she clearly has enough intelligence and money to know exactly what she is doing. For your (meaning everyones) information the school she sends her kids to has been mentioned in various newspapers so it is not a secret.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Catigate means: to find fault or reprimand

At what point did I criticise the school, please explain? I was implying that she clearly has enough intelligence and money to know exactly what she is doing. For your (meaning everyones) information the school she sends her kids to has been mentioned in various newspapers so it is not a secret.
You named and Loopy castigated (which in this context meant 'criticised the school as one that has to be avoided because of one woman's actions') on this forum.

Some of us on here attend this school and whilst that fact is not a nationally guarded secret, it is certainly disparaging to highlight it in the context of this thread.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now