Friendships

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Igglepiggle

Friendships

Post by Igglepiggle »

At induction day last week, my DD met her new class and it seems that most children live quite an inconvenient distance away from us - 20+ miles. It's no real surprise given we're a fair trek from the school, just unfortunate that many are coming from the opposite direction.

I'm just wondering how it'll be not having local school friends during the teenage years. I'd be interested to hear from those who've already experienced this. Presumably her Dad and I can look forward to much taxiing over the next seven years!

Thanks

IP
sp

Post by sp »

We are resigned to the same taxi service for DD. I just think it's not her fault where she's going to school so feel obliged to do lots of ferrying, I guess there'll be more sleepovers to make visits worthwhile or maybe they'll meet in a town while I can do some shopping or have a meal.
Chelmsford mum

Re: Friendships

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Igglepiggle wrote:At induction day last week, my DD met her new class and it seems that most children live quite an inconvenient distance away from us - 20+ miles. It's no real surprise given we're a fair trek from the school, just unfortunate that many are coming from the opposite direction.

I'm just wondering how it'll be not having local school friends during the teenage years. I'd be interested to hear from those who've already experienced this. Presumably her Dad and I can look forward to much taxiing over the next seven years!

Thanks

IP
Hello,
We have been in this situation for two years.Although we live near the school, DD seemed to manage to make friends primarily with girls who live far away.(well her closest friends)
In year 7 friendships shuffle a lot anyhow.The last two years I have just had to be more flexible and accommodating than I expected to be.We have girls staying over at weekends at least twice a month in term time.in school hols they have extended stays.
it is not ideal but they need their friends when they are teenagers.(especially girls)
chardom

Post by chardom »

I have been worrying about the same thing myself as my DS's primary friends are all going to the local comp which is round the corner but DS is going to an indie which is 9 miles away. I know this is not a huge distance but can't help wondering how he will feel when no-one calls for him in future!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Ed has had this problem. His friends (new ones from school) all live a good few miles away. It just means being prepared to drive them about quite a lot, unfortunately.

My sister in law ended up moving for this reason - although there was a bit more to it than that. It is entirely possible that your child may have 'school' friends and 'home' friends. That can work well.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Agree with previous posters. It isn't their fault if their friends live further away. In primary school all DS's friends lived within 10 minutes from our house, now it's 10 miles!There are a couple of boys living nearby but DS "doesn't really like them"!!! :roll: However as I get on well with the mums the boys also get on well when we get them together, it's just not their first choice of friends.We all have to compromise and most weekends are spent ferrying DS to birthday parties or sleepovers.DH said he should get an orange 'For Hire ' sign for his car!! :shock:
They break up on Friday so there will be a lot of taxiing over the next few weeks!
Igglepiggle

Post by Igglepiggle »

Thanks for your replies everyone. We are resigned to providing taxi services! It makes me realise how easy the last seven years have been having all friends within a mile or two!

It's funny how you spend months worrying about whether or not your child will pass the 11+ and once they've got a place, you find something else to stress over!
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Depending on exactly where you live - it might not be as bad as you think... As they get older they can get very good at reading bus timetables and getting themselves around if they are motivated enough!
Igglepiggle

Post by Igglepiggle »

That's true, public transport is good here and I'm sure she'll be very motivated to get out and about as soon as we are willing to give her that freedom!

A friend said to me, that at 11, they seem so young to be travelling long distances to school, but that they very quickly become thirteen year olds and it won't seem half so scarey.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now