Mobile phones

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Milla

Post by Milla »

my son lives on his - yes, the main thing is texting. He has 200 texts a minute (oops, freudian, I mean a month!) and 200 minutes of chat which don't really get used. They text each other ALL THE TIME, and swap music and stuff so getting him a rubbish phone is a mean thing to do! I think in some places you have to give in and the phone is somewhere I'm prepared to be lenient (but it has been confiscated if he's a pain).

Because we live in a village and only really one network has proper coverage out here we were a bit limited in what we could go for. He did go for a touch screen but it hasn't lasted and is limping on now rather until the upgrade is due in sept. We opted for contract and pay £12.50 a month for what we get - I thought it was less stressful than a tenner a month in top up fees and, yes, he won't run out, because he can over-run. He's just not allowed to. So, he's learned to marshall them which is good and can send silly texts without thinking they're consting individually.

After all the stress of the tests, it was a bit of fun I was happy to indulge in with him, plus being at a school about 20 miles away, has been a God-send.
moose

Post by moose »

Hello,
You will find out very soon that if you decide to buy mob without camera your choice will be very limited. They are hardly being produced . In my DS' school kids are not allowed camera phones and he inherited an old Nokia from his Grandad. He is on PAYG- Asda phone . One of the better deals..
Actually he hardly uses the phone and always forgets to switch it on after school. I think boys are cheaper than girls in that respect. They do not chat for hours.
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

I'm hoping boys are cheaper than girls when it comes to phone credit.
DS doesn't know it but he will be getting a phone ready for the move to GS in Sept. It's a very basic hand me down from a neighbour who thought he may find it useful. The trip to school involves a train & sometimes a bus ride too,so for peace of mind at least I'm happy for him to have it.
I loathe the things-mine was a Christmas pressie from hubby who thought I'd love it :? Oh well,marginally better than the spirit level & drill my friend got off her hubby ! It lies unloved,uncharged & untouched-think the spirit level & drill do too :lol:
Milla

Post by Milla »

oh dear, I think I must be a very ancient teenager. I love mine :roll:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

sallyj wrote:I'm hoping boys are cheaper than girls when it comes to phone credit.
Perhaps DDs are unusual? They only ever txt friends and their friends text them.Easily less than a tenner a month on PAYG
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS is definitely not cheaper than a girl - he is always on his phone.He is on Pay as You Go but is always nagging me for a contract!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I love my mobile too, Milla. I have never met anyone who can text as fast as I can - (predictive text)!!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

My ds still has the £20 credit I put on his phone 4 years ago. He never switches it on and rarely takes it with him-he always borrows a mates if he wants me :)
Bit frustrating when I want to get hold of him, but very cheap.
KB

Post by KB »

It is worth checking because some schools did ban camera phones. Think many have relented now though because phones without cameras are difficult to get.
If you go for a contract & your DS , like mine, doesn't use phone very often its worth having a system to check it hasn't gone missing (& someone is running up a hefty bill).
If he is goingto be very low user you could go for pay as you go & give him a top up voucher to keep on him for emergencies?
Lady.in.blue

Post by Lady.in.blue »

Right DD and I had this same converstaion in July last year. She wanted a phone to bring into school just incase she had to get hold of me.

I told her that we don't have money to buy the "in'' phone, but we may be able to come to some arrangment for a simple phone (though with a simple camera to meet standards some what in the middle). She agreed to this and we bought her a phone.

She loves the phone but I told her that, although when she goes out with her friends to the park or to the shops the phone is ideal; I personally wouldn't take the phone to school in Year 6 as things seem to be going missing from other pupils bags :roll: .

We have found this quite common so she told me she would use the phone when she goes out without me but she wouldn't take it to school untill Year 7 when lockers seem to be sturdy enough for it not to be stolen.

I can see I have wrote quite a bit so to get to the point I wouldn't reccomend bringing a phone into school, but if it is an ABSOLUTE MUST, then ATLEAST hand the phone to the teacher so she can keep her eye on it for the day. Then also it will be there fault if it is stolen. :lol:

Hope my long story helps. :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now