Girls' shoes

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Igglepiggle

Girls' shoes

Post by Igglepiggle »

Hello

I've only just registered on the forum, but have found it both useful and entertaining over recent months, as we've battled through the eleven plus minefield!

Anyway, now that we have a secondary school to go to, has anyone found a make of school shoe that is acceptable to both fashion-conscious eleven year-olds and sensible Mums, or am I just asking too much?!!! Until now she's been happy with C-----, but has already told me in advance of the Summer hols that they're just too young for her now. Now I understand the battles my Mum had with me, although she usually won and I have never forgotten the shame of wearing the clompiest shoes in the school.

Any one else having the same problem?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, but we've been getting it for the last 18 months or so!!

C***** are great for the younger ones, but the 'teen' styles are absolutely awful, who puts their12/13/14/15 year olds in shoes with bows on for goodness sake :shock: (weel, some bows are OK, but I'm sure you all know what I mean!!).

We have resorted to buying either women's shoes (she's a size 5) or going to the really cheap shop which sells the type of shoe they were all crazy on (the flat ballerina type shoe).

She wasn't too pleased with the last ones I insisted on buying (they were from C******) but I got fed up of shoes falling to bits in 5/6 weeks so insisted on a good pair.

I'm waiting for the school uniform list to tell us what is allowable, although I did notice the girls taking us around when we visited DD's school were wearing similar shoes to the ones she likes - we shall see!!
tense

Post by tense »

A minefield indeed!

My DD (now 12) also turns her nose up at C****s shoes. Last time I visited a branch with her they wouldn't check her size for adult shoes (saying it was my responsibility) but did point out that the bones in her foot would develop until she was about 16 so she should wear "children's" shoes. As all those available appeared to have fairies on them this wasn't really feasible!

In the end, we drove miles to a Brantano store, which does lots of brands like hush puppies / sketchers etc (am I allowed to mention brands?). Obviously she wanted a pair of ballerina pumps, but we comprimised with a pair that also had a single strap across the foot. Lots of her friends admired them so despite a few initial doubts on her part it turned out OK! I think we got them from the adult section, although there is a teens section too.
Milla

Post by Milla »

thank goodness for boys!! :lol: C***** still fine for my dear 12 year old. As long as he can run and play footie in them he's happy.
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Last week my daughter ,off school for elections, begged me to buy a pair of Clark's shoes!!. She's nearly 12 and very fashion conscious. She's also a size 7 so is in their Bootleg range. The shoes in question are the pump style with a removable ankle strap. My d is very active ,running round the playground etc and these shoes are fine for that. We have seen the shoes worn by the girls at the school she is going to and they all are wearing the ballet style.

Don't know if this helps anyone but it's our experience!
fm

Post by fm »

I have had the same problem this year, compounded by a Year 7 daughter with size 7E feet. While I forced her into a pair of rather heavy ballet style shoes from C's at beginning of year, I compromised in Easter on a pair of much lighter ballet style shoes made by Ro...... Canine (all the rage) from the German word (I think) for shoe. A week later the button dropped off so I had to go back for a new pair (assured by the shop this was the first pair this had happened to), only to have it happen 2 days later with the next pair. Think I shall be giving this brand a miss. We have now ended up with a much more robust C's pair of ladies shoes which were fortunately in the sale.

Next term I intend to buy the first pair of shoes she likes in the first shop we enter with total disregard to price or suitability. She is my third child and I have wasted enough of my life arguing about shoes with children when I could be arguing with them about so many other things.
rachag

Post by rachag »

Agree with other 3 brands suggested above.

For me, ballerina style fine as long as they have a strap across to of foot otherwise only stay on by gripping forefoot. Seems though that ballerinas worn in flip flop style by many!
Milla

Post by Milla »

fm wrote: Next term I intend to buy the first pair of shoes she likes in the first shop we enter with total disregard to price or suitability. She is my third child and I have wasted enough of my life arguing about shoes with children when I could be arguing with them about so many other things.
:lol: :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Problem I find is that the styles are all the same !!! Little choioce available so stuck if you or DD doesn't like them.......

but don't get me on the subject of shoe fitters, :evil: :evil: :evil: telling people that their kids feet are abnormal (when it is just the shoe that doesn't fit) and means children with completely normal feet being referred to paediatric orthopaedic clinics"!!!
rachag

Post by rachag »

Perhaps she's just learning early that, as a woman, she likes the colour but not the fit, shop hasnn't got it in her size, can't find anything when you are looking but treasure trove when you are broke, etc etc, and that's not even touching the surface with trying to buy jeans...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now