Mercury thermometers - warning.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

I have lots of older brothers who used to get hold of mercury somehow (probably from school!!!) and bring it home. I must have been about 6 yo playing with the stuff in the floor watching it wobble around and trying to pick it up!!! It probably explains about the many daft things I say (see other thread) :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm confused! Given the OTT H&S world we live in you'd actually think they wouldn't allow a real danger to be readily accessible! Mmmmm.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Dear Ed's Mum,
Hope your clanger/swine flu is not too serious, and that you feel better soon.
Thanks for the warning about the thermometer, hopefully you've recovered from this incident too

LFH
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

From my rather panicked internet research yesterday, it appears that mercury thermometers are being banned from hospitals in various countries and that they are on their way out - there are many alternatives.

I feel so strongly about this danger within our homes that I may well have to take this further. Not sure how exactly - NOT referring to the compernsation culture that we have - more like an awareness campaign.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

I prefer the mercury ones myself as they seem more reliable in their readings. Some of the alternatives do not give you the degree of accuracy you need especially when you are desperate to give the next dose of medication for e.g.with a high temperature that refuses, hour upon hour, to drop.

Having said that, I have broken one myself. The clean up was easy and hassle free as the amount is very small. The problem is if the mercury had scattered over a large area, usually because one is 'shaking' the thermometer to get the mercury back past the notch and it flies out of your hand. Then you may not not cleared up all of it.

I think in your panic, you have caused yourself further work by running through the house, Ed's Mum. But I do understand you were not thinking straight as you were/are ill and now worrying that there is still some remnant present.

1)It is not easy to get hold of one now as they are being phased out in many healthshops and pharmacies. I am actually amazed you managed to purchase a mercury thermometer as I have not been able to get one in the shops for the last 8 years.

2)With young sick, fussing children (and some adults) it is much safer to use alternatives , especially if you yourself are fraught with worry and have not slept the night,watching them like hawks..

I am not trivialising your scare or the dangers of mercury poisoning but do not worry too much.

I am more worried about boilers not regularly serviced (toxic gases released), microwave ovens with leaking radiation and water on the bathroom floor as these are more likely accidents with the appliances being used daily.

More work for you then when you get well which I hope is soon.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi, just been involed in chosing bew flooring for a consulting room - infection control wanted a totally smooth lino type surface, seems it was OK for people to slip on it so long as they didn't catch any nsaty bugs in the process!
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

hermanmunster wrote:infection control wanted a totally smooth lino type surface
Clever. That's because Clangers cannot keep their grip on smooth surfaces so would immediately fall over and be easily rounded up as soon as they entered the surgery.

Regards
SVE

PS

Humour me... it's Friday; Google now points here for "clanger flu"; we can tell the world the real source of A(H1N1) aka Clanger flu.
Animis opibusque parati
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mm.... that may be so for Clangers but what about Klingons?
sj355

Post by sj355 »

I found out about the dangers of mercury earlier this year as DS was researching to answer the question of what thermometers are preferable to use in refridgerators and why. I totally forgot what was the correct answer because I read about the potentail dangers of mercury thermometers and my eyes popped out. I was under the impression that they are not sold in the shops, but only as scientific instruments these days?
sj355
lion63

Post by lion63 »

my eyes popped out
should have used the Klingons to keep them in place. :roll:

(just for you, SVE)