Is it all worth it?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Igglepiggle

Is it all worth it?

Post by Igglepiggle »

Having a slight wobble as DD leaves her primary school next week!

She could be going to the local pretty average comp with all her lovely local friends, but instead is going to a wonderful selective indie where we're sure she'll thrive academically. The major downside is a long trek on public transport each day , new friends from far-flung places and of course very scarey school fees!!!

She's a bright, motivated girl (so far!) and I imagine she would have done pretty well at a comp too. Part of me is thinking "What have we done?" Should we have just gone for the easy local option or were we right to "aim high"?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

My belief is that if you can give your DC the very best then you should. She has done well to achieve such a place and she will thrive and be fulfilled there. You, of course, will be a taxi service for the next 7 years! :wink:
zee

Re: Is it all worth it?

Post by zee »

Yes, you've done the right thing.

You went to a lot of effort (and expense) to give her this opportunity; it's not something you fell into by default, so you must have considered it thoroughly over some time.

She may well have done well at the comp, but if she didn't do quite as well as you'd hoped, you'd always have wondered if you should have gone the extra mile to get her to the indie. You're less likely to have such doubts the other way round.

So have confidence in your choice.

I expect your regret is more for the passing of the milestone of your little girl at a little school - a perfectly natural reaction, but one you'd have had, even if she'd gone to the local comp.
SunlampVexesEel

Re: Is it all worth it?

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Igglepiggle wrote:wonderful selective indie
Job done. As she starts, induction day, first day etc., there will be no looking back.

Enjoy the summer... lots of Yr 7 work around the corner

:lol:

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

I too have this week seen DS 'upset' at last week at primary with his little friends and had slight panic attack at separating him from his peer group. However when I actually talked to him about it he said of course he was upset as he will miss his friends (the majority of whom he will never see again) but he was absolutely and completely looking forward to his new life at new school.

Talk to your DD again about it - I'm sure she will actually reassure you that you have absolutely done the right thing

Last week of primary school is a poigniant moment in their lives - it should be, but it is also the end of an era and the start of a new and exciting one. Look forward to the wonderful opportunities that await your DD.
Igglepiggle

Post by Igglepiggle »

Thanks everyone, always helpful to hear from people going through , or who have been through a similar thing. Hopefully, there'll be no looking back.
Happy hols x
jemima

Worth iT

Post by jemima »

Last year we appealed for our DS to get into grammar with his elder siblings. He really wanted that appeal and he got in. I felt quite unsure as he'd got in on appeal whereas the others got very high 11+ scores. I got his report last night and I now know all was worth it - he's worked hard, is popular. teachers say he's well behaved and polite and most of all he's made good progress. He's not at the bottom but maintains a just below average (which I'm sure he'd do whatever school he went to). He's also beginning to believe in himself. So a happy Mum
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

To Jemima well done to your child for good school report who got in on appeal. Our younger daughter got into GS starting Y7 this September on appeal. The headteacher reassured us that many children who get in on appeal do really well maybe they work harder as they realise they are very fortunate to be at the school. We have an older sibling at the GS who got a very high mark at 11+ but this year had a less than acceptable school report!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

As a teacher may I reassure anyone whose child got in on appeal that all the research (and my experience) says these children do well.
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Thanks guest55 for your reassurance!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now