Music exams

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I wonder how many SV's that school arranges in a year! :shock:
Music to that school is very serious business indeed! The amount of music scholarships given away each year says it all.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

An aquaintance mentioned that I should send DS2 to Chetham's in Manchester if he continues to do well. I thought about it and then thought that that :wink: school would be able to more than cater for him - if he gets in of course! :?
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:An aquaintance mentioned that I should send DS2 to Chetham's in Manchester if he continues to do well. I thought about it and then thought that that :wink: school would be able to more than cater for him - if he gets in of course! :?
Would be able to more than cater, what, that school? :shock:

Where do you think most members of the world renowned Kings College Choir, Cambridge, come from? Maybe, you should also find out who founded the Kings College, Cambridge, in the first place, in 1441, i.e. a year after that school was founded. :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are some excellent music department in state GS - some have fantastic recording studios, dance studios, theatres etc.

A band from a local Music Centre recently went to the North Sea Jazz Festival - the ONLY school age band in the world to be invited.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Guest55 wrote:There are some excellent music department in state GS - some have fantastic recording studios, dance studios, theatres etc.

A band from Aylesbury Music Centre recently went to the North Sea Jazz Festival - the ONLY school age band in the world to be invited.

I am going to agree with G55 here - :) Many GS have many, many visits from music examiners.It is absolutely common at my daughters'school to be grade 5+ at say age 12 and DD1 has many in her age group that are gr 8/diploma level, some on more than 1 instrument.DD's school has 2 full orchestras( you have to be grade 5 + for the senior one), several choirs, ensembles, recording studios, drama studio etc.
I actually don't think "that school" wonderful as it is , has the monopoly on that.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Now Dear CM, are you trying to start an argument? :wink: No one argues on the Everything Else section! :lol: I don't recall anyone saying that Eton had a monopoly on Music, infact there are a few inde's that claim that monopoly - some rival schools and some others that have KS. :wink:
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

Chelmsford mum wrote:
Guest55 wrote:There are some excellent music department in state GS - some have fantastic recording studios, dance studios, theatres etc.

A band from Aylesbury Music Centre recently went to the North Sea Jazz Festival - the ONLY school age band in the world to be invited.

I am going to agree with G55 here - :) Many GS have many, many visits from music examiners.It is absolutely common to be grade 5+ at say age 12 and DD1 has many in her age group that are gr 8/diploma level, some on more than 1 instrument.DD's school has 2 full orchestras( you have to be grade 5 + for the senior one), several choirs, ensembles, recording studios, drama studio etc.
I actually don't think "that school" wonderful as it is , has the monopoly on that.
Seems to me that these Grammar Schools that you mention are even more trememdous than that school by the River Thames. Very well done, indeed! :D :D :wink: :D :D

So you see, one doesn't have to spend tens of thousands of pounds each year; year on year, to get the benefits of a tremendous education. You can get it for FREE!! :lol:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Now Dear CM, are you trying to start an argument? :wink: No one argues on the Everything Else section! :lol: I don't recall anyone saying that Eton had a monopoly on Music, infact there are a few inde's that claim that monopoly - some rival schools and some others that have KS. :wink:
Would I start an argument... :shock: Moi? :shock:
I know you didn't actually say it had a monopoly, but I think the mutual backslapping betwen you and Flamenco just needed breaking up a little tad! :wink:

Flamenco you sound like you don't believe me but it is all quite true.I hope you can believe there really are some good state schools out there.

I remember thinking DD1 had done quite well to be nearly grade 5 by entry to secondary school but then you meet these children the same age that have passed grade 8 :shock:
Not that it is all about exams.It gives me real pleasure to see/ hear them enjoying their music.It is even nicer when their friends turn up and they all join in.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

One could argue (not me though :wink: ) that the schools are so good at music because the kids are entering with Grade 5+. This comment is directed at ALL schools.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:One could argue (not me though :wink: ) that the schools are so good at music because the kids are entering with Grade 5+. This comment is directed at ALL schools.
True but I think families who value their music would only send their children to a school where the music provision is outstanding and it really is.