Gifted and Talented????

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Ian35mm,

How did your daughter know they were rich or does she have psychic gifted ability? :? I find your comments disparaging and offensive on a number of levels.
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Just been reading these threads and surprised first that the "conversation" started ages ago but reading the threads they seem seamless and am sure Ian35 didn't mean to offend - I read his comments simply as opinion like any other...
anyhow 1) once a child is identified as G&T by a school they are meant to stay on that register for the duration of their time at the school, ensuring that DCs are identified correctly in the first place ie they haven't just presented a few pieces of good work so a teacher pops them on to the list.
2) What is gifted at one school is average in another, so going on the register has little value if the school isn't already stretching the pupils.

I'm in two minds as to its worth - on the one hand it flatters parents (yes it does - I cringe still at some parents' incessant bragging) to be told they have a "clever" child, on the other parental expectation can work as a check/pressure on schools to keep standards high and stretch pupils appropriately.
MY DCs primary does have a register (as schools are obliged to) but its approach is inconsistent from one year to the next, depending on which way the wind blows - one year it had a G&T group that met for 'extend' activities once a week. the next year it was deemed 'elitist' and was scrapped (1 governor whose DCs were not in the group brought pressure to bare).
In many ways whichever approach was taken proved academic as my DC didn't like getting extra extention work, was not in the least interested in going on a Nagty day/wkd camp with other DCs who "think they're v clever but are really not" (DCs opinion at the time), and was far more motivated by interesting/stretching in-the-classroom work while having 'kids' fun outside of school.
I would say that most parents know whether they have a bright child or a way above average gifted child. At my DCs grammar, my DC knows who the few "boffins" are (DC admires them and knows she/he is not one), knows who the average DCs are and the above average, none of whom need to be told they're on a register as they're all adequately stretched.
MrsK40

the G&T register

Post by MrsK40 »

Ed's Mum.... it's not if they get rid of the register, they are getting rid of it. The government have cancelled the funding for the courses run at Warwick University and directed it towards schemes helping children to try and attain higher education despite coming from areas with terrible schools. I'm all for that.

And yes, differentiating in class is happening at our primary school, however, towards the end of primary (year 5/6) our school admits a trend that often happens in the more able students, they often "take a side step" in their test results. The school uses the fact that a great number of these students do this, as an example of it being normal and just fine! I think you could also argue that this could prove the more able students are extremely un motivated and start to switch off. Our school has struggled to find suitable materials to stretch the more able students in Year 5/6 and I'm not entirely sure they are confident about delivering this material either. I'm not sure if this is because the materials are not available to them very easily.

Personally, the experience my children have had of education so far has made them un-motivated and complacent at times, as there are occasions when they just have to listen to the same thing over and over.
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Agree with what you say MrsK40 re children switching off in yr 5/6, particularly yr6.
Think post Sats schools often breathe a great sigh of relief and take their foot off the pedal. For my DC I wasn't so concerned about not being stretched beyond level 5s (which prob would have been the case at better school) so much as DC simply got bored and did switch off a little so didn't give 100%, and actually wanted structured work when time-off as a post sats treat was given.
However, the real work starts in yr7 and DC is thriving so I am of a mind to say, let them enjoy/get bored or whatever at times in primary - I don't think they need to go full throttle the whole time. And again, being on a G&T register has little real influence on how a school runs yr5/6 - Sats prep has much more of an impact!
Ed's mum

Re: the G&T register

Post by Ed's mum »

MrsK40 wrote:Ed's Mum.... it's not if they get rid of the register, they are getting rid of it.
Sorry, perhaps my language was unclear.
I know they are are, I provide the G & T input at my school. Despite this, bright children will still be catered for.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Cats12 wrote:Agree with what you say MrsK40 re children switching off in yr 5/6, particularly yr6.
Think post Sats schools often breathe a great sigh of relief and take their foot off the pedal.
Well that's not the case in all schools and that disappoints me that it happens in your school. The school should be using this time to enrich and provide a smooth transition between year 6 and 7. Of course if they choose to do this in a fun way, taking advantage of the warm weather, that's even better. School also often use this time to approach teaching and learning in a different way - perhaps an emphasis on projects and research.

Sometimes parents are unaware just what is involved in that lesson which suggests that the foot has been taken off the pedal.
kefew

Post by kefew »

Agreen chidren switch off but not agree does no harm. Have bright son who, In year 8, is trying to get out of the habit of screening out the teachers voice. Unfortunately, this was grooved over many years of daydreaming whilst the teacher explained the task again for the less able. However, don't know the solution as son benefitted enormously from
other things offered by mixed ability primary school.

If anyone has any tips to help this self sufficient year 8 boy to be less self sufficient and start listening I'd be grateful. :)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'd love to know the answer to that one as well :roll: . Master 1880 seems to think teachers talk purely for their own entertainment and nothing they have to say can be remotely relevant to him.