Panic Attacks

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zorro

Panic Attacks

Post by zorro »

I know this is not an 11plus topic but I am need of some reassurance!
Last year I had my first attacK of SVT (it's when your heart rate increases to a ridiculous rate - mine was 220 bpm.) I had to go to hospital in a blue light ambulance and have IV drugs to bring it back to a normal rate.
As you can imagine this was a very frightening experience. I have since seen 2 cardiologists - one said I should have a very scary sounding procedure called an ablation and one last week who has put me on medication to control the irregular rythm.
I have had a total of 5 episodes over the past year , 3 requiring a ride in an ambulance and I am starting to become nervous of leaving the house.
I have been taking the medication for just over a week now and apart from a headache don't seem to have any major side effects.
However I think I am now starting to get panic attacks as this morning I came over all faint even though my pulse rate was normal, however I suppose it may be my body adjusting to the medication.
Anybody else had experience of betablocker drugs or panic attacks?
Hermanmunster _ you may have some pearls of wisdom - how long would you say it takes the body to adjust to this drug ( it's Sotalol 40mg bd)?
Any experiences or advice gratefully received!
Zorro
sp

Post by sp »

Not a doctor but I think you should be addressing these questions to your own GP who knows you and your condition. It could be dangerous for anyone else to attempt to answer anything over this forum. (sorry everyone I've been terribly rude and presumptious by saying this)
zorro

Post by zorro »

Fair point- perhaps pm would be better.
sp

Post by sp »

Sorry if I sounded abrupt and I really hope you get the answers you need. Get better soon!!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Zorro,

Sorry no pearls of wisdom - it sounds very frightening indeed. I hope you get some improvement soon. Take care.

Mitasol.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Zorro - I'll PMyou.

BTW - google a certain prime minister who had ablation for SVT - alledgedly set off by FAR TOO MUCH strong coffee at EU negotiations!!!
twinkles

Re: Panic Attacks

Post by twinkles »

zorro wrote:Anybody else had experience of betablocker drugs or panic attacks?
My dad has an irregular heart beat and is on betablockers and they make him feel awful - really lethargic.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Sending you best wishes Zorro. I hope that you start to feel more like your healthy self soon.
Take care x
zorro

Post by zorro »

Thanks Herman.
Yes I knew about Tony !
Sending you a pm
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Zorro - all good wishes - hope you are feeling better soon :D