Grrr rrrrr rrrrrrrr - School Uniforms!!!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Snowdrops

Grrr rrrrr rrrrrrrr - School Uniforms!!!!

Post by Snowdrops »

Slowly getting everything together for the new term/new school in September and have just been ordering dd's 'sports kit' online.

It is the most annoying thing EVER!!!!!!!

You can only order online (fair enough) which means you cannot try it on, hmmmm. You can measure your child, but who really falls within the norm with regards to these measurements???

DD is very tall for her age, therefore the standard measurements do not match her body profile, making it very difficult to 'guess' which size to purchase for her.

Now that I don't mind too much (OK a bit, but I try to make allowances :lol: ). What really gets my goat is the fact that the firm don't deliver to the home and only deliver to the school.

So, we now have to wait another month until we can get it, then try it on, then send it back if it's no good.

Wonder what the school will think if dd has no kit the first two weeks :shock: :evil:

I really am quite annoyed about this, why on earth do they have to have such a stupid system (surely it's more work for the school too :? )

Tomorrow we go to some more shops to buy the rest of the kit, but at least we have the joy (oh deep joy!!) of trying it on.

One good bit of news is we have the flat black school shoes already (PLEASE don't let her grow before at least the next half term :lol: :lol: ).

Just waiting for our labels to turn up now.

How's everyone else getting on?
andyb

Post by andyb »

I sympathise entirely. Ordered DS's blazer from school before the end of term - told it would take a couple of weeks but don't worry 'cos the school doesn't actually close over the holiday - it's just like any other business. So here we are mid-August - no blazer. Tried phoning school - no answer, emailed school - no reply, visited school and mooched around a bit - plenty of cars in the car park but no people :x Hopefully will get a call from them to say it's ready for collection - but what if we don't? Panicking, me?!
solimum

Post by solimum »

The school will no doubt be full of people on GCSE/ A Level results days, although whether the people who know about new blazers will be around is anyone's guess....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Don't worry your child will not be the first to have these problems ... teachers are quite sympathetic - just write and explain.

Snowdrop - that does seem a silly system - never heard of it before.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

One little ray of sunshine in our house was the wonderful little school uniform shop we had to go to buy our son's new uniform.
It was a throw back to days gone by with wooden drawers holding sweaters and socks and PE kits and a locked cabinet full of blazers with a lovely man to give you everything you needed.
Having been used to buying ill fitting items over the internet, it was a welcome relief. Also it took only ten minutes or so on a Saturday afternoon :shock: when we were expecting it to take ages.

So we're done, except for white shirts and grey trousers, which I really mustn't leave until the 1st of September :lol:

LFH

PS Snowdops hope your guesstimates fit :shock:
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

we had an Ok time but the sizes for the Sports Shirts are massive and the smallest size drowns my DS. According to lovely man in the shop he will grow. To fit the Shirts he has a massive amount of growing to do :o

still waiting for labels before we begin that joyous task :lol:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We have all the stationery, the shoes, the blouses and some of the sports kit (only those items which have the embroidered school badge on needed ordering online - still it cost me £66) the school bag and the sports bag.

Tomorrow we will pick up the skirts, the jumpers, the blazer, the woodwork apron, the swimsuit, the swimming cap, the dictionary (the 5 we already have in the house are not the 'right sort', obviously :shock: ) the skort, the shorts, the shin pads and the socks. Grandma is coming on this trip - she will have uses I'm sure :shock: :lol:

The indoor and outdoor trainers, I shall leave to daddy. I'm just glad I talked her into leaving the lacrosse kit and tennis kit until later on!!

Finally, I will then need to purchase a bus pass for her - £360 for the year, cheap if you ask me, considering :lol: :lol: :lol:

The labels, ordered from label planet on 30 July we are still waiting for.

I'm enjoying it really, just can't understand the none delivery to the home address - bonkers!!!!
chardom

Post by chardom »

At the indie where DS is starting in September they have their own shop on site where all uniform apart from school bag and black school shoes must be purchased. This has been very easy so far until the lovely shop manager told me they had no school trousers small enough to fit DS in stock and that she couldnt guarantee they would be available before September. When I asked if I could buy a pair from elsewhere to tide him over til the official school ones are in stock she told me this was not really allowed! :roll: We are now waiting for a phone call to tell us they are in stock or not and my poor DS is horrified at the thought of going to Big School in his blazer and boxers if the call and the trousers dont come!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

chardom - that's mad!! What do they propose he does?

I'm afraid too strict uniform issues and expensive and unnecessary 'extras' (aprons) are another reason to steer clear of private schools - where I taught the uniform came from Harrods ....
mystery

Post by mystery »

Chardom,

Is the lovely lady in the school uniform shop in over the summer holidays? If so, I would ask her to put in writing that she cannot promise to supply a pair of trousers before the start of term. Then I would buy the closest possible pair from elsewhere, keep the receipt.

I would then drop a line to the headteacher, copy to the bursar, during the school holidays explaining that unless you hear from them before the start of term you will purchase your son the cheapest closest alternative on the last day of the school holidays so that he does not have to turn up to school without school trousers on, and that you will deduct this from your next fee payment to the school. Attach copy of letter from school uniform shop manager of course.

It will certainly make sure the headteacher remembers you!! It can all be kept extremely polite and you can just sound desperate rather than mean. It will stop your son worrying too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now