ear piercing

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Milla

Post by Milla »

I'm glad it went well. Despite having boys with no interest in ear piercing (although a friend of DS1 had his done for 11th birthday :shock: ) I have been following this strand with interest - at 12 I was desperate to have my ears pierced and started a huge campaign at my parents - who were NOT interested, throwing me the arguments of "common" "would regret it" etc etc.
after 6 months full-on assault, they relented and it was my 13th birthday present. We went to the smartest jeweller in Bristol (natch) and my excitement was all but out of control. Then I fainted. Four times. Came to being carried out of the jewellers. But ... my ears were just dandy. Horoah. For about a week. Then I got septacaemia (sp?) and (the thrill!) nearly died. Off school for an expensive month in recovery. Now I cannot wear any metal at all, not even a watch. I risk rings, if going to a party, say, for about 4 hours at a stretch - very Cindarella - before coming out in all but weals.
So, that was me told!
Anyway, I am truly delighted that it has been a happier ending for your daughter. My experience has left me with a horrible thing of being careful what you wish for!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Good grief! What a horror story. If my daughter had not already got hers done I think it would have made me think twice. Is it possible to pay lots of money and get jewellery coated with anything?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Milla wrote:at 12 I was desperate to have my ears pierced and started a huge campaign at my parents - who were NOT interested, throwing me the arguments of "common" "would regret it" etc etc.
I fought the same battle for years. My Dad used to say to me that if I had my ears pierced he would put a ring through my nose and bind my feet!

Finally when I was 21 and working in Europe a friend encouraged me to have them done. My parents, aunt and uncle came to visit me out there, and within 2 weeks of getting home my Mum and my Aunt had their ears pierced as well! I don't think my Dad has ever really recovered from the rebellion!

Milla - a real horror story! I know a jeweller who I can ask about anything that you could put on jewellery to give you a few hours wear without the horrible effects. Any help?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I battled with my mother too. I do believe she also used to talk about bull rings!My mother then had hers done 6 weeks later once I could change my earrings! Mothers eh?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, my mother had 'a thing' about pierced ears too - I do know why, but best not mention it here! I was about 22 before I got mine done.

She also had 'a thing' about ankle bracelets, to do with ladies of the night. About fifteen years ago I took to wearing one during the summer. One year I forgot to take it off before I visited my mum (I was about 38 at the time :shock: ) and had that sickening pit of the stomach feeling when I realised I still had it on as I lounged right across the settee (after a long car ride I might add) with my ankle all but pushed under her nose. Too late, she noticed and said (quite shockingly) how pretty it was. The next summer she was sporting one herself on holiday :oops: My, how time changes your mind :lol: :lol:
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

Yes my mum said that pierced ears and ankle bracelets were for prostitutes too! She did change her mind when her friend (an RE teacher, so presumably above suspicion!) had her ears pierced, but I had still had to wait until I was 19 and at uni. I got them done on a stepladder in a local card shop, by a chap armed with what looked rather like a nail gun.

As a result, when my daughter asked to get hers done, aged 9, I just said yes. She assured me that 'most' of her friends already had theirs pierced, although this turned out to be about one other girl! We went to Claire's, luckily with no attendant crowds of onlookers, and fortunately none of the following septic nastiness that I went through.

Aged 12, she hardly ever wears earrings now! I have to remind her to put some in every few weeks so that the holes don't close up!
Y

Post by Y »

Watch out for heavy earrings - a friend of mine wore heavy earrings consistently, and stretched the holes in her ears, so that now she can only wear clip ons! Fortunately, you can't tell there's a problem when she's not wearing earrings.

Milla, do you react to gold?
magwich2

ear piercing

Post by magwich2 »

I detect a bit of bias here!!I got my comments removed for mentioning that ear piercing looks common but it now appears quite ok to say that it makes you look like a lady of the night.
Why one rule for one and one rule for another Mods???????????
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Magwich, I doubt that anyone is going to take offence at the way posters above have described what their own mothers said!

I doubt that anyone would have objected if you had merely stated a view that "ear piercing looks common".

In fact you used the phrase "common as muck" and targeted a poster with a question that seemed calculated to cause offence.

Please do not post in this thread again.
Etienne
hopeful5

Post by hopeful5 »

I seem to have the opposite experience to most people here. I didnt want to have my ears pierced and my mother dragged me forcibly to the ear piercing woman who claimed to have 20 years experience doing it.

I cant remember if she used a gun or needle but she didnt mark my ears and put the holes in places that dont match; One is lower than the other ! This looks much more obvious with heavier styles of earring.

I am not keen to relive this experience with my own daughter, which is why I posted this question of where is a good place to have it done.

Out of interest, has anyone had their ears pierced at Claires in Brent X?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now